collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: For collectors only; did you give up on the Core Seven?  (Read 2919 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: For collectors only; did you give up on the Core Seven?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
Yep, I was done at that point. I was annoyed at the idea of repeated releases and wanted nothing to do with it. Struck me as cheap. I loved the varieties of  G3s up until then.

Myself as well.  That's when I turned my focus onto dolls and fashion.  :D the cash hasn't been spent on ponies at retail much since...
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 05:43:09 PM »
Yep, I was done at that point. I was annoyed at the idea of repeated releases and wanted nothing to do with it. Struck me as cheap. I loved the varieties of  G3s up until then.

Myself as well.  That's when I turned my focus onto dolls and fashion.  :D the cash hasn't been spent on ponies at retail much since...

Me, too.  :(

I loved the Crystal Princess line - that's about when I started collecting.  I didn't mind the Clone pose (a little uninspired but at least there were new ponies.). The Core 7 lost my net rest completely, though - the only set I bought was the inspirational ones.

And I bought a couple of the g3.5s for the re-design (they were on clearance) but I quickly got tired of them.  I'm not thrilled with the direction g4 is going, either.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42:27 PM »
I got the pretty 25th anniversery collectors set so I'd have one of each, and I got exactly one g3.5. Otherwise, no. I'm not buying 466436 versions of the same pony! I refuse to do so even now with gen4.

singpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
I gave up on the core 7 ponies too. Now for the G4s, I only collect the first releases of the small mane 6 ponies and their FS versions. The rest that i also collect are other G4 characters. :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
I gave up.  To me a big appeal of pony collecting is the variety of characters.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 11:03:24 PM »
I only ever bought the core 7 when they were on super clearance. I bought a rainbow dash and a pinkie in the g3.5 molds at 1.99$ other than that, I did not buy any! I'm not a fan of doubles.
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:41 AM »
Heh, I never stopped! ^_^; I have a bunch of the 'newborn cuties' and stuff - and weirdly enough, the line grows on you! Sure, I wanted more variety, but I'm still on the hunt for the missing Core 7 Ponies I never found! (Mostly the cool ones, like Henna and the 'inspiration' set. >.< DANGIT!)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
I didn't like the G3.5 but I own three of them. The only thing I liked was how unique and thick the hair was. I have at least one pony from each generation and I'll give anything a shot once. During that time I mostly focused on getting G1's and earlier releases of the G3's. It's nice to not have to stalk stores for releases from time to time!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:26 AM »
I stopped then as well. I really don't see the point in having three identical scootaloos, with one with glitter, two without, one with a hoof hanger on a different side... urgh!

I plan to have one of each normal bore 7, I already have the inspirational words ponies (although i refused to buy them at retail, lol!) and maybe some of the seasonals, like the valentines. I already have my mane six collection complete, I have one of each that isn't in my bait or sales boxes from HAVING to buy duplicates to get exclusives... and I have a MIB GW Rarity, just cos she's from the show, which I love.

But no, repeats DO NOT get my money unless they're quite different, or I'm forced into getting them with another pony.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:33 AM »
I quite collecting at that point. It seemed worthless and stupid for Hasbro to focus on only seven ponies. It also threw me into a collecting hiatus.

It was revived when G4 came out, but now Hasbro is mainly focusing on the main six and they need to stop.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 05:42:56 AM »
Well, I wanted a set of G3.5's, so I did collect during some of that. I also kept up on fair and comic con exclusives during that time. But for the most part, any store buying I did at that point was getting any remaining G3's that weren't core 7 I saw. Got a few Twinkle Hopes that way.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »
As I have mentioned, I am not (yet?) a collector, but I am curious as to how many of you continued to collect ponies during the Core Seven era.

This is actually G3.5 not G3 as far as I can see, but what basically happened is that instead of continuing to create more and more ponies, Hasbro just updated the same seven ponies again and again.  Did you still collect them each time they came out or not?

No, and it's pretty much the exact same thing that is going on with G4.

I do not like that they reissue the same pony over and over again. It's boring and defeats the purpose of being a MLP collector.

At least with the G3's they did do a few different things to try and make the pony different but I still do not like to buy the same pony over and over.

The only time I am interested if it looks different from the original. Say body color/ hair color is different or something about the actual pony is different - but if it's the exact same thing over again, I don't bother.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 07:50:01 AM »
"Core 7"
"Mane 6"

.. hmm.. Next generation
"Mare 5"

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »
i completely stopped buying ponies during the 3.5's  i was really angry that they looked like that and were the same ponies over and over again i stopped even looking anymore.... i slowly started again when G4 came out when i found rarity and thought "she looks like an alien pony!"

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »
I got bored with the "core 7" that started during G3-  but completely gave up at G 3.5.  I was appalled at the "new look" and didn't collect one pony after the change.

I guess I stopped "collecting" though when there seemed to be millions and millions of ponies- there were so many, and they were all so cute!  So I started only collecting those few that I REALLY liked.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal