collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A bunch of questions concerning resin (for shoes, hands, etc)  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I need a bit of help!

After weeks of contemplating I have finally decided a.) to get Gigi Grant once she comes out and b.) how to customize her to make her look less white-washed and more like an actual djinn.
I want to recolor her body and head and replace her hands, lower arms and lower legs with translucent/glittery ones.
But I want to keep the mold Mattel used for her since I love her scorpion plating and long claws.

So here's a couple of questions:
-Has anyone of you tried to make resin limbs yet? I know a few of you have done shoes already ^^
-What material/brand can you suggest? It should be translucent and firm enough.
-Have you tried coloring the translucent material yet? Can it be done with normal acrylic paint?

Thanks in advance ;)

Offline lemonice

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: A bunch of questions concerning resin (for shoes, hands, etc)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
I have not tried it yet but i will. and you can bye color to put in the resin.
OR take the airbrush and put some acrylic color in it =)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
Plastic Curves http://www.plastic-curves.com/fashion-doll-scale.html Actually does make body parts in resin.. If you dont find the info you need here, you might try asking on their forums? Or worst case scenario, ask them to add Gigi's body mold, and then just order the parts?

But from what I understand, replacing the lower legs will require some heavy duty modding. I think you have to crack the thighs open? I honestly forget what I have seen..

Best of luck to you! :)

bluegeist

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
This is a great idea. I too was disappointed that she is whitewashed. It screams I Love Jeannie (or however it's spelled) -_- not a great example of an actual genie. Also, what scorpion is pink? Most are brown or black! Good luck, I hope you get all the advice you need! :)

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »
For shoes I use Super Clear Resin, purchased on etsy.  I've gotten pigments from the same shop for my shoes.  I haven't had any problems with it that were not associated with user error.  Things that work equally well to tint resin is super fine glitter and eyeshadow.

I haven't done hands but it would be possible.  You would need to remove the mechanism that makes the hand poseable and make molds of them separately. Hands would be easier than anything else I think.  At least that doesn't sound too intimidating to me!

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »
I don't have any advice, but I'd love to see the results of your experiments, as I've been contemplating something similar.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Thanks for the input!! :)
I guess I will try to use the joints she comes with. I think it'll be very tricky to cast something that tiny and still make it work? Wouldn't it turn out too rough at the edges?

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
-Have you tried coloring the translucent material yet? Can it be done with normal acrylic paint?

If you mean like making a resin to be pink (or blue or what have you), I would add the special pigments available for resin like lemonice said. From what I've heard getting the color to be the same is a bit hard.

But if you're asking if acrylic will look translucent on translucent parts, only in very thin layers, thinned out with water or medium. It took 2 or 3 layers to completely cover Spectra's arms to be opaque.

I think it'll be very tricky to cast something that tiny and still make it work? Wouldn't it turn out too rough at the edges?
Sanding will be necessary. I recommend getting the little sanding needles from a hobby store.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »
Thank you, Angel! :)

I have never seen sanding needles before. I will have to see if they're even available where I live.

Offline Angelkitty21

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
They are strictly a model making/hobby thing. Hobby Lobby is the only chain I would expect to have them. Otherwise check your local hobby/gaming stores.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
I don't feel Gigi is "whitewashed" since she is a genie and they are often depicted as being made of mist. However I am slightly disappointed she is pink instead of yellow since we dont have a yellow doll that isn't a CaM doll (with black hands unfortunately) and also I agree she should have had semi transparent limbs like Spectra.

Slightly related does anyone know if it is possible to put the whole CaM arms and legs on a normal torso?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
I don't feel Gigi is "whitewashed" since she is a genie and they are often depicted as being made of mist

And mist is light pink? ;)

Yes, she is a supernatural being and could be every color, but they could have made her at least a few shades darker.
She is supposed to be a creature that comes from the Middle East. Making her light like that only makes sense when you think about how hateful people are towards the Middle East nowadays.

The peachy skin makes her look like I Dream Of Genie instead of an Arabian demon.

Btw, actual Djinns are said to be "made" out of smokeless fire. I would love to try and capture that later on in my custom :)

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
sanding needles
OMG! I've never heard of these before, but I NEED them

Offline Angelkitty21

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
Geez, am I the only one who like I Dream of Jeannie:P I know, an actual djinn would be cooler, but I like the reference to the old show.

Speaking of Djinn, James Earl Jones is Best Genie Ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhrU62E9NCw

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
I adored I dream of Jeannie.. But It is still an example of "whitewashing" since they used a white actor to play a character who should technically be an Arab. So even if she is a reference to the show, the whole whitewashing thing still applies :/ I'm not that fond of her design, but maybe she will grow on me like Skelita did.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal