collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MH Confessions Thread - Reloaded!  (Read 3729 times)

Pony_Mommy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MH Confessions Thread - Reloaded!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »
Ok here are my confessions.

~ When MH first came out I was ogling them in the store and really wanted to get some but didn't want to start any new collections. http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,288253.0.html If you look at this old thread I made you can kind of see why I am leery of starting new collections.

~ My Husband told me to just buy them anyway because I was going to end up with them eventually anyway. I did pretty good in resisting, but this past November when we finally moved into our new house I ended up caving. I have since November accumulated over 30 dolls and have spent over $700 on dolls.

~ I never feel the need to lie about who my dolls are for at the store, I collect too much stuff to worry.

~ When you look at my house from outside at night and the lights are on inside you can see the silouhettes of hundreds of little men. (Not my MH but I think it is funny anyway.)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 05:58:55 AM »
- I have never lied about who a doll is for. I cheerfully decline offers of gift receipts and state that the toy is for my collection, and I never get any hassle.

- I have bought dolls with my husband present, only to have him question me because he thought I was saving money. I tell him the dolls are to trade, or resell on ebay. I've only actually sold 4 out of about 8 that I got like this. The remaining ones, Im not too sure about parting with yet.

- I have a bag of clothes and accessories that I dont use, but cant bring myself to get rid of.

- I bought a sewing machine just to learn to sew doll clothes, but I havent had much time to use it so far. I also had wanted to learn to make plushies for a while.

- I rearranged all the furniture in my house and am buying new pieces just to make room for a craft station for myself, and a doll display case. The display case is the last item I need to buy.

- I am terrified to customize any of the dolls I have with faceups, because I have seen so many customs posted that I really dislike, and I don't want to add to that. So even though I really want to try, I have kept putting it off, and I will keep putting it off.

Offline SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 06:59:24 AM »
Confession?

* I spoil 'some' of my dolls. Like Abbey who has about four times as mutch clothes like the rest of the dolls ..together...
* I don't collect the boys but still beats myself up for not buying Gil when I litterally had him in my hands. -__-*
* Sometimes I pretend that I buy dolls for my younger sister because I get embaressed. (I really HATE when I do that! Since I'm so confident with everything else.)
* I got really jealous of my mothers friends 9 year old. She visited me, got all lovey-dovey over my dolls, got home and her dad bought her 9 dolls that night, 9 DOLLS!!! That's like...my whole years doll-budget T__T And she does'nt even play with them now - the brat gets new obcessions every week and her parents SPOIL her :'( When I asked what she did to the dolls when she stopped playing with them, she told me they just threw them away. THROW THEM AWAY!? Needless to say, I was a bit disturbed by that.
* I believe dolls suffocate in box, therefore I cannot keep them MIB even if I want too! D: I envy all that can!
* I will be really sad if Elisabat does'nt get released, Since I have a twin sister named Elisabeth and she used to dress as a bat for the carneval in my hometown! XD I mean...this is too good to be true! She would laugh her a** off!

Edit: And I wan't them to make new hand-molds for Abbey! She needs gestures!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:21:40 AM by SweetScoops »
One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »
Ok here are my confessions.

~ When MH first came out I was ogling them in the store and really wanted to get some but didn't want to start any new collections. http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,288253.0.html If you look at this old thread I made you can kind of see why I am leery of starting new collections.

I'm so tempted to write you a list of the characters i recognized or used to have, but can't remember the name or the series they were from. But it would be like Case 2, 3rd picture, 2nd row, 5th doll from left to right, so I better not, because it would be a long list  :blush:

Ok one more...

- ALL of the stores I shop for monster high from know me as the mh collector lady... Lol
Priceless!

--When I saw the very first MH commercials, I was jealous of little girls today because I thought the line was really cool. I told myself, "if these dolls existed when I was little, I would collect them." I thought I was too old to collect toys.[/img]

Something like that happened to me. My daughters like the dolls and started asking for them I got them one for each two Christmas ago and that was it. But then started watching the webisodes with them, and hell went loose if we didn't find a doll and since their boom in Mexico it was practically impossible to find them here. So I started getting them online and shipped here or to a relative's house in US.
My boyfriend said something like isn't it too much trouble to get them? And i answered something like, but they are so cute! There weren't any dolls like this when i was young :(
And he went all serious and told me something i hadn't think about.
"I just realized, the dolls are also for you"
Since then he helps me acquire them :)
He felt the girls needed to learn how to care more for their dolls so he convinced me to get shelves so they could have them in display and respect them. It worked. They haven't lost any more pieces since then.

Then he gave me my first Ghoulia  :lol:

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 08:00:09 AM »
SweetScoops, I spoil some of my dolls too! My first doll was Lagoona and I think she has the most outfits out of anyone. But she's really good about sharing her clothes. Abbey and Draculaura have a lot of clothes too but they also have sisters (rehaired in different colors) who share their wardrobes.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »

* I got really jealous of my mothers friends 9 year old. She visited me, got all lovey-dovey over my dolls, got home and her dad bought her 9 dolls that night, 9 DOLLS!!! That's like...my whole years doll-budget T__T And she does'nt even play with them now - the brat gets new obcessions every week and her parents SPOIL her :'( When I asked what she did to the dolls when she stopped playing with them, she told me they just threw them away. THROW THEM AWAY!? Needless to say, I was a bit disturbed by that.

That's...wow. So you're saying she finds a new toy line every week to love, buys a ton of them and just throws them away when she's bored??

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
I don't really have any good ones ^^; Uhh, well, I've bought entire outfits before just for one earring, if that counts?

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »

ARRRRGHHHH!!!!
(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻

Seriously, that made me really angry. Way to teach a kid how to be a consumerist.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
I'm starting to get doubles of all my CAMs because once I get a CAM in a 'signature' outfit and wig, I feel very badly putting her in a new look as it feels as if she's giving up her identity. So now I have two bee girls, two sea monsters, a second skeleton on the way, and I'm thinking about getting a second gorgon as well...

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 01:48:44 PM »
Okay, where to start...

~I have spent over 1100 on dolls. Trying to total it all up is too much effort. This does not include my baits/custom projects.

~I have started about 10 customs, and only finished 1. Who's face I will probably redo.

~I have 76 dolls I consider to be in my collection. This doesn't count the customs, or a few I will prolly sell. Eventually.

~I live at home, and hide when I buy new dolls from my mother because I know she sees them as a waste of money.

~Although I am lackluster on a number I have, I don't want to sell them because then they will be gone. And I like at least parts of their outfits.

~I have a drawer full of extra clothes. And wigs that I don't care for, but still have.

~I have a drawer full of stands and brushes, because I don't use them all. At least they are not scattered.

~I have rearranged my collection just to hide that I got new dolls, so that they would be lost in the mass of faces.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Melissa

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
-I, too, have lied about who the doll is for on a few occasions. Mostly when I've been to the same place a few times waiting to restock. I have a fictional niece who the dolls are supposedly for. In reality, my fiance is an only child and I have a younger sister (she's 21) who will probably never have children because she doesn't like them. And I said niece instead of daughter because I'm 24 and look younger and I don't want to be judged for my age at my fictional child's birth. I thought waaaaay too far into it.

-Once I even went so far as to disparage the dolls, saying "Look at them, their butts are the same size as their heads, who plays with something like that?" because a saleswoman was treating me like I was a total creeper. There weren't ANY kids in the store when I was there, but she made me feel like a total pervert!!

-When I see people who have done really good face repaints, I respect and admire them for their talent... But underneath actually get a little bit angry. I love painting, but I CANNOT paint tiny details because my hands shake very badly. I tried to redo lips on one of my ghouls and it looked so atrocious that I cried about it.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »
Okay, where to start...

~I have spent over 1100 on dolls. Trying to total it all up is too much effort. This does not include my baits/custom projects.

I've probably spent that amount on custom clothes o_O

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
I've got a couple :'D

I got a seasonal job at Toys R Us last holiday season so I could get discounts on MH and know right when the dolls hit the shelves. I did not stay there long though, and only got Picture Day Cleo. Right after my shift ended I signed out, went straight to the MH shelf, grabbed Cleo, and put her on the register so my coworker could ring her up. They thought it was hilarious :D

I had a time when I was going absolutely mental over finding these dolls in December. It was Jinafire that did it. I could not find her anywhere, while it seemed everyone had already gotten theirs. I also absolutely wanted her before or on my birthday (Dec. 22nd.) because I felt a real personal attraction to her (I'm asian - Japanese though, not Chinese). And I was absolutely terrified I would never be able to find her. That was a point when collecting was just not fun for me - putting myself into a frenzy and stressing myself out! And then (of course!) after I bought her from Amazon, I found her on the shelf at my local Walmart...and everywhere else...:P So I stopped caring so much. It's much easier now, thankfully! Especially since they seemed to have greatly improved on distribution, and each line seems to hang around for quite a good amount of time before retiring.

Oh, this one's bad...I have 4 signature Spectras :blush: My original one, the second wave one with silver earrings, I bought from a member on here from the Netherlands for $64! I was really new to collecting then and I had no idea they would re-release her. I also have two of the re-released version, because I'm hoping to have one of them rehaired in blonde. And then I found the very first release of Sig. Spectra at Target over winter break, just sitting there and at normal price! I just could not walk away from her :D Only the first release and one of the re-released versions are in their stock outfits. The second release is in the first Spectra fashion pack, while the other re-release Spectra is in a custom etsy dress.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:21:25 PM by Jocelyn »

JustHereForPictures

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
- If I ever won the lottery I'd spend far too much on dolls.
- Despite the fact I've promised myself I am not going to get doubles I'm seriously considering buying a second Scaris Deuce to keep MIB as an investment.
- I feel kind of bad that I didn't give up one of my two new CAM packs to an actual parent looking for them for his kid. She didn't have the Gorgon/Mummy one which I didn't want so it was okay, but still.
- I want to customise my werewolf but I'm terrified that she'll look horrible and that I will have ruined her.

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
Okay, where to start...

I've probably spent that amount on custom clothes o_O

Yeah, I wasn't counting outfits. For mine, I just go for either Bratz clothing lots, or have been slowly trying to make my own.

- I want to customise my werewolf but I'm terrified that she'll look horrible and that I will have ruined her.

Do it! You can always decide you hate it later and redo the face or sneak to the sales thread and offer her as a bait for trade. Lots of people like her for customs.
And if end comes to end she was a $10 doll.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal