collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who collects the guys? And why/why not?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Who collects the guys? And why/why not?
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
Just something that would interest me.
I have seen lots of MH collectors who say that they're not interested in getting the boy dolls. I'm such a person myself.

My reason is that the guys
a.) look boring compared to the girls. They do not get fashion packs and they always have the same face-up (Clawd is the only boy who at least seems to get different haircuts *g*)
b.) I have problems with most of their molds. They seem to look a bit more realistically proportioned than the girls, but something looks "off" about them. I can't put a finger on it.
Gil is the only boy I'd get in a heartbeat. He looks very unique and doesn't sport the squarish head mold most of the other boys have.
I'm not even that partial to Clawd, even though he is my favorite male character in this entire franchise. His head is just... big and square.
c.) I am probably biased since the guys don't get as much development than the girls and I tend to get attached to the personalities and stories of the characters first, which motivates me more to get their dolls.
For example, I used my Toralei as custom bait because I just couldn't warm upto her as a character *covers as fakies get thrown*

What could Mattel do to get me more interested in guy dolls?
FASHION PACKS (also more than just a basic shirt and shorts, I want hot outfits!), more diversity. And in case of Clawd and Deuce: separate their characters more from their girlfriends. I really liked Deuce's story about his pet dragon or his friendship with Rochelle (only mentioned in Rochelle's diary) :)

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who collects the guys? And why/why not?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
I plan on getting a couple of the heath dolls so that I can get jackets for everyone... (as long as it doesnt say "heath" on it... LOL)

I like the boy dolls as it helps me to develope my own backstory or come up with stories of my own... Lol... Havent really put any of said ideas on paper... but it would be interesting...

Another reason I like the boys is because of their diversity color wise... You just dont see Ken sporting green or blue skin   :lol:

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
I'm with you, Zapper; the boys just seem boring to me compared to the girls. I mean, the girls are AMAZING. The clothes, the hair - the SHOES!!

However, I am falling for Clawd. If they release him again, I am snapping him up.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
I plan on getting a couple of the heath dolls so that I can get jackets for everyone... (as long as it doesnt say "heath" on it... LOL)

I'm so sorry to nitpick, but Heath's jacket has flames on the sleeves, and that screams "Heath" more than his actual name printed on it :lol:  I want all my guys to have their jackets too, but I want them personalized.  By Mattel -_-  Not holding my breath.  Although, Heath coming with his is a step in the right direction:)

I collect the guys!  When compared to the girls they are boring, but in my case, I compare them to Ken.  Not so boring anymore:)  Plus Mattel (they are SO SMART) kinda forced me into buying the guys because they put Deuce with Cleo.  The rest are so few and far between, I kinda go "Why not?" 

Plus I'm a completionist :rolleyes:  Kinda comes with the territory!
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »
Like just knitter said yes they are boring compared to the girls, but compared to ken they totally kick butt lol Jackson is so geeky cute  ^.^ . I really hope they bring Holt and Gil back and that I can get a chance at Heath. Because even though there not looked at by Mattel as a big part of the shows (yes there characters need more development as well as more out fits) it wouldn't be the same with out them in it,to me anyways that is why I think they should make them more than what they do..they don't have to be as distributed as the girls,but at least more often than once in a blue moon.I have so say though at least they have different personalities and there have own voice unlike ken who I always felt was"yes Barbie whatever you say Barbie,want me to kiss your butt? Why sure thing hunny lol( I am prolly the only one that thinks that last bit  :blush: )
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
I used to not care about the guys and I still don't really, but I'm a sucker for Deuce! :lol: I love Deuce and Cleo so I have to get her man! Now to find the elusive DotD Deuce that I regret not picking up! :cry: I also love Gil! He is really cool looking and he's Lagoona's man so he needs to be with her! :heart:

The guy dolls aren't that great looking and even Deuce has a "baby face" going on, but I love his shades! Gil is very unique and I just adore how unique he looks!

I'm ok with the guys not getting fashion packs, outside of Deuce's uniform, because there aren't enough of 'em around to get extras to put 'em on! XD
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Foxy_Ninja

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »
I know! I just got Deuce and Clawd!

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »

I'm so sorry to nitpick, but Heath's jacket has flames on the sleeves, and that screams "Heath" more than his actual name printed on it :lol:  I want all my guys to have their jackets too, but I want them personalized.  By Mattel -_-  Not holding my breath.  Although, Heath coming with his is a step in the right direction:)

I collect the guys!  When compared to the girls they are boring, but in my case, I compare them to Ken.  Not so boring anymore:)  Plus Mattel (they are SO SMART) kinda forced me into buying the guys because they put Deuce with Cleo.  The rest are so few and far between, I kinda go "Why not?" 

Plus I'm a completionist :rolleyes:  Kinda comes with the territory!

I didnt even notice... Dang it!!!  >_<

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »

I'm so sorry to nitpick, but Heath's jacket has flames on the sleeves, and that screams "Heath" more than his actual name printed on it :lol:

I'm pretty sure Heath wouldn't mind his own fanclub. Club jackets! XD

I have so say though at least they have different personalities and there have own voice unlike ken who I always felt was"yes Barbie whatever you say Barbie,want me to kiss your butt? Why sure thing hunny lol( I am prolly the only one that thinks that last bit  :blush: )

OH GODS :lol:
You slay me. I don't know why, but this cracked me up. Maybe because I was never interested in Barbie as a kid (only in her horses, lol) and Ken was non-existent to me since he had absolutely nothing going for him. He was just there.

However, there is a hilarious webseries about Barbie one of my friends once recommended to me since I liked the MH webseries. It's called "Life in the Dreamhouse" and it is one big pisstake on the entire Barbie franchise. Ken is great in this series! He creates robots and faints regularly.

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »
i love the boys, but i wish  they would play up boys more.  I said it when they first came out with MH  , I think MH could be a UNISEX fashion doll line..  if they had the boys doing more cool boy stuff, or episodes about the boys or  even  just give me some really monstrous boys.  how bout some MH adventure too!

But that said,  as a girls line as it stands now, i  agreee i would love more boy fashion packs, boy shoes, boy accessories to make them look cool...  i'd love to see more of the boys in movies and webisodes as well.. and separate from there girlfriends.

I do agree they are way better than ken, who i never really liked that much as a child..  I had a ken, but he never had the COOL factor. LOL 

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »

I'm so sorry to nitpick, but Heath's jacket has flames on the sleeves, and that screams "Heath" more than his actual name printed on it :lol:

I'm pretty sure Heath wouldn't mind his own fanclub. Club jackets! XD

I have so say though at least they have different personalities and there have own voice unlike ken who I always felt was"yes Barbie whatever you say Barbie,want me to kiss your butt? Why sure thing hunny lol( I am prolly the only one that thinks that last bit  :blush: )

OH GODS :lol:
You slay me. I don't know why, but this cracked me up. Maybe because I was never interested in Barbie as a kid (only in her horses, lol) and Ken was non-existent to me since he had absolutely nothing going for him. He was just there.

However, there is a hilarious webseries about Barbie one of my friends once recommended to me since I liked the MH webseries. It's called "Life in the Dreamhouse" and it is one big pisstake on the entire Barbie franchise. Ken is great in this series! He creates robots and faints regularly.

I love Life in the Dreamhouse! It's HILARIOUS!!!

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »

I love Life in the Dreamhouse! It's HILARIOUS!!!

LitD is so very good!
OOPS I RYAN-ED AGAIN! - that's all I have to do to promote this series *fg*
I wish it was a regular show and would replace all those "Barbie as Tootsie Fairy in Lala-Land" movies.

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
I've always been a tom boy- which didn't stop me from owning 9 different red haired barbies (I love my own kind), but I only had two kens: the original from... some...thing... and the Big Brother Ken, because gaaaaasp he had real haaair!! Because Ken was boring.

I personally don't find the boys any less interesting than the girls, and I have one of each character. For me, the only sad part about the boys is the plastic hair- I loves me some real hair, but MH makes their hair at least interesting. I adore Deuce's lil snakes, and Holt's fire. Truth be told, the only boy I don't like is Jackson because good lord, his cheekbones. They're further than his ears I swear. Holt's hair hides it, plus he's blue so I don't mind. I do find it bizarre that he grows a tattoo when he changes though. Especially on his face.

I will however admit that the lack of outfits for them bugs me- in part because I think the girls are sexy in the boy's pants, which are much, much more to my liking than the tight girls pants which are the only alternative to skirts Mattel has, and even then there's only like, 5 pairs total. I think they're just pantsist, the wenches.

Back on track though... I collect the boys because I adore them, and their characters. I love Deuce because he's supportive of Cleo and loves her knowing she's a bit crazy, and her family is worse. I also think it's the cutest thing ever that he wants to be a chef, but is embarrassed to admit he loves cooking because he's a Jock, and jock's aren't supposed to do that. Plus, he's a very mellow, go with the flow and keep to your guts character, and I strongly relate to that. He's a voice of reason, usually for Cleo because she listens to him, and even when people ignore his advice he's still there to help them out of their messes. And yeah, it's built a lot around Cleo because she's his gal, but I'm sure he's the same for any of his friends or teammates.

I love Clawd because he's such a dual character. On the one hand, he's charismatic and charming and has a lot of friends, but he can't ever be close with any one dude because someday he'll be pack alpha, and he can't be seen as picking favorites. So he holds himself back around the guys. On the other hand, he's suuch a silly puppy with Draculaura, because she's someone he can just let go around. He can be as silly, goofy, or affectionate as he wants, because she's his girlfriend and he's allowed to like her best. Plus, I loved the webisode where he tricked his sisters into doing his chores- clearly, he'll make a great leader along the way.
I also like the inclusion of his past with Cleo for two reasons. The first is his dating her because he was supposed to: she was fearleading captain, he was football captain. They have do date, right? He follows his role as a leader. He also let her tell everyone that she dumped him despite it being mutual, because she needed the boost to her pride. Yeah, he said it was stupid to do because there was no point creating extra drama, but it was also pretty chivalrous, and I respect that.
I bought but gave away my 2-pack Clawd though, because the fuzz air and faux hawk bugged me, but adore my 1600 wolf boyman.

Diary Jackson/Holt are also completely awesome to me. I mean, imagine that suddenly you found out that you're two people, and that's why you black out? Not only are they both dealing with a new school and new friends, but Jackson is an odd man out, teased and pushed around for being too "normal" (though Deuce has his back, and that stops a lot of it). Holt on the other hand, people love and adore! He's wild, loud, flirty and fun! And surprisingly thoughtful if you only know him in the webisodes. He's spent most of his life living in the dark, literally. Now, suddenly he can come out, meet other kids, and have a life of his own with only a quick tune. But once the music stops, he's back in his box. Just watching the two of them learning to work together, and become a cohesive character is amazing to me (I'm a sucker for development), and Jackson's diary is kick-ass to read if you never had.
I specify the diaries, because the voices in the webisodes and movies are too terrible for me to do anything but hiss. He sounds like a nasally, whiny 12 year old girl or a shrieky, whiny 12 year old girl and I haate it.

Heath... I like for the same reasons I like LiCD. He's a jerk, an ass, and a huuge wanna be playboy on the surface. And any other layers that might be there. As they've worked with him though, it's become clear it's not because he's an actual jerk? He just has all of the tack, social grace, and self control of a five year old. I adore him and Abbey, because she's not only giving him the chance to show he can do better, but someone he WANTS to do better for. I loved him trying to save her all over Ghouls Rule, and her saving him. He's such and amazing clumsy heroine, he really is. I'm squealing over his doll, and will try to grab 2.

Gil... is my least favorite character, honestly. He's just so... uptight, and afraid. He's skittish about his relationship with Lagoona because his parents don't approve. He's almost unwilling to try new things because they're strange. He's suuch a sheltered, stuck up kinda guy in a lot of ways, that I'm not really fond of him.
That said, I like his unique face and head, and am endlessly amused by his hands, which're cupped perfectly to grope Lagoona. Makes me giggle.

But, that's why I love the boys. They're completely just as interesting, even if they're not as well marketed. And c'mon, Deuce has gorgeous eyes.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:30 PM »
I like the boys! I have sig Jackson, sig Clawd, and the CaM gargoyle and vampire (and also HooDude, who is totally fab) and love them all! I'm now really looking forward to getting Heath. :heart: I'm not keen on Deuce or Holt or Gil's designs, so I haven't gotten them--although I would probably be tempted by a signature Gil. And I'd kill for doll releases of InvisiBilly and Slow Moe! :faint:

I agree about the lack of boys' fashion packs--my poor dudes concur about needing more clothing options. I ended up altering a pair of Ken pants for my gargoyle boy because I was so fed up with shorts :P I'd be super excited to have a jacket for each of them, especially now that Heath is being released with his!
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline astroasis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Rabid Toy Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
I love the guy characters in the webisodes! I'd happily add any of the guy dolls to my collection, but I'm mostly housebound and don't work, so my dolls usually come from online deals or as gifts for holidays. And the guy dolls are simply impossible to get online for a decent price (let alone a deal I could afford!) - and I wouldn't feel right inflicting the difficulty of getting them in a store on someone giving me a gift.

I have to admit, I'm not too fond of Jackson/Holt, but I hope to someday manage to get the others! Especially Heath, because he's my favorite of the guys. He always makes me laugh :D I actually like Gil a lot, too, just because he's cute with Lagoona and the webisode where she says he's "like a swimsuit model!" makes me laugh every time :D
I primarily collect G1/G3 Ponies, Littlest Pet Shop, Monster High dolls and Mini Lalaloopsies. I also collect vinyl figures, dolls and 80's toys in general.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal