collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When Dolls Don't Match Their Stock Photo  (Read 709 times)

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
When Dolls Don't Match Their Stock Photo
« on: December 17, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
Amazon had a sale on for their Winx dolls, specifically the concert dolls were around $5. Thinking I could mod them into the Misfits from Jem, I bought three. Two of the concert, and one Believix Bloom (on sale for $7). Well, the two concert girls I bought had long sleeves, but the Bloom concert showed them with articulated elbows and movable wrists, so I assumed they would all be.

Nope! Just the Believix Bloom. Sadly, because of the sleeves, I didn't notice until one of them was opened. Oh well. That one will go to a a family friend's granddaughter and the other two will go to Toys For Tots if they're still accepting this late in the game.

Anywho, I was wondering if you ever got a doll that was vastly different from the stock photo? I'd love to hear some stories.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: When Dolls Don't Match Their Stock Photo
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »
Urgh! That is so frustrating  >_< Sorry to hear you were disappointed... but it's really sweet of you to give them away  ^.^

I got three of the Masquerade Bratz last year (vampire, princess and witch) when they came out, and they are quite a bit different from the stock photos on the backs of their boxes. The product photos online were fairly accurate to the dolls, so luckily I knew what to expect. But the box photos show sooo much more detail in their clothing and accessories... and it's REALLY OBVIOUS how much they cheaped out on the actual doll because she's right there... :doh: Not the brightest marketing!

I still bought them anyway because I'm a sucker for masks...
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline astroasis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Rabid Toy Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
The absolute WORST for stock images not matching the reality are Bradford Exchange/Ashton Drake/Hamilton Collection/etc. You really have to search out pictures of the ACTUAL products from those companies before ever buying anything from them. Their "stock photos" are basically idealized photoshop renditions of the items - often times, celebrity dolls are infused with photos of the actual celebrities and artist dolls are basically the original paintings the doll being made is BASED on, photoshopped to look like a "doll". It's really ridiculous.

But yeah, NONE of the Concert Winx dolls are articulated, actually - not even the Bloom doll that clearly shows articulation in the stock photos. I don't understand why the company is still allowed to even USE those stock photos. They're clearly not images of the dolls they're selling.
I primarily collect G1/G3 Ponies, Littlest Pet Shop, Monster High dolls and Mini Lalaloopsies. I also collect vinyl figures, dolls and 80's toys in general.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
The only disappointment I had was with my last Blythe, in her stock photos her hair looks like this lovely shade of red. Instead in real life, it's a strawberry blonde. Not at true red at all. I wanted to cry when I opened her.

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »
I can't remember if it's in the stock photo, but I was disappointed when the full-sized Mademoiselle Rosebud Blythe came with peachy hair instead of pink like the petite version. I'm just glad that I waited to see owner pics before investing in her... Also a wig I got off eBay that looked lovely in the pics, and it was lovely in person, but only from far away. If you actually looked at it, you can see that they didn't use enough wefts to cover the wig cap completely. It looks like it has weird bald spots. If they just didn't skimp, I would definitely buy more because it is made really well otherwise. :tellme:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal