collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: BJD FAQ  (Read 20890 times)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: BJD FAQ
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »
*flails a bit* I was so hoping he would be blond. Hmmm...
Here is another: Is there anything you don't know\can not do when it comes to BJDs? :3
*more bowing to BJD queen*

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »
It's not really that I know everything, I've just been in the hobby long enough to know where to look for answers XD

XD I was actually just watching a video Q/A session of an artist I like on DA XD made me want to do one for BJD questions LOL

I really do just love helping people in general, especially with this hobby because it is so vast and confusing, but honestly my dolls helped shape who I am :) They helped me discover photography, they've forced an improved confidence as I just had to come to terms with being "the wierd doll girl", they've exploded my interests into different styles of living as I try and develop new characters, and I research constantly and learn about all kinds of things in the world just to keep my characters accurate.

IN OTHER NEWS
on doll fragility.

My SD sized Delf Soony bashed her face on pavement today. She was standing on my concrete deck and just toppled sideways from the wind. She hit the pavement on the side of her head full force. She landed on her ear and it dented the top in a bit. It doesn't appear she broke anything.  However, that would have been a perfect occasion where she should have broken.

Do know, in the case of a dent, they sometimes can be boiled out. You can either hold the dented piece in boiling water, or just hold it over the water and sometimes the steam will pop the dent out.
If you do put the piece in water DO NOT let it touch the bottom of the pot! Burning resin fumes are TOXIC - that being said NEVER bake resin. Do not use sculpey to mod your doll.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:15:31 PM by Knibitz »

SuniMoon

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
More questions for you. :)
Do you know of any companies, apart from Iplehouse, that make more masculine boys? And, on that note, taaaaalll masculine boys, 70cm or a bit taller?

I'd love to see, if you know of any. :3

Knibitz

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
dollshe has pretty manly molds, but they've had some issues lately (people waiting over a year to get their dolls)
bisoujin house(sp?)  is an american bjd company that has EXTREMELY masculine dolls
dollmore model doll males can be more masculine http://dollmore.net/shop/step0.php?b_code=B20060303110204&c_code=C20070418101255
dollzone brant and cosmo
soom mecha angels (80cm) if you want to go that big... I think they may also sell a few supergems (65cm) as regular releases, and they're usually pretty masculine.
some of the raurencio studio boys http://www.raurencio.net/shop/step_submain.php?b_code=B20101020052409

XD let me know if you need/want more!

SuniMoon

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 10:43:35 PM »
Ohhh, all my favorite are 65cm. xD
Cuuurses. Y'see, I'm looking for the significant other of a doll I just ordered, who's a 70cm dollzone boy... Unfortunately, looks like his size is going to make it hard to find a guy taller. And the character in mind is either the same height, or just a bit taller.

I love some of Raurencio's guys, though. Daaang, those are some good looking boys.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:51:22 PM by SuniMoon »

SuniMoon

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
New question time. :3
I'm used to doing my face ups with MSC. My MSC is Jesus sealant, omg it is so ridiculously perfect....
Buuuuut I'm out, and I derped up and forget to order more when I ordered my new doll... So now I am without it...

I have the choices of... Buy from junkyspot, pay more in shipping than I would like to.
Buy from ebay, pay less shipping, and less all around, and wait a month to be able to do anything.
Or try testors dull coat. With I will assume is nowhere near as good, and probably looks blotchy, but I've heard of a lot of people using it....

Should I even bother with it, or just wait?

Knibitz

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »
I would say go with model masters dull coat if it's available, but testors is fine too :)
(they're both available at the same places)

works just fine.
I also never have any of the issues people describe themselves having. The stickiness, blotchiness, the chipping, yellow, etc.

just make sure your head is 100% dry, and then follow the directions on the can.

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »
for more masculine boys, have you checked
Angelsdoll
http://www.angelsdoll.net/shop/step_submain.php?b_code=B20100213083641

or Spiritdoll? They have some cra-a-azy good loking male bodies. and fun.. interchangable... parts. ahurr
http://www.spiritdoll.net/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SuniMoon

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
I'll go take a look at Hobby Lobby soon, then! :3
I'm going to clean and restring my RS Mai today, and redo his face-up.
Aaand according to UPS my DZ Ying will be here aaany time now... So I'll have to sign for him, go to the store, then get back and debox him with my bestie.
Bah, I'm rambling too much.

@ Miss Tuneful - O.O
O///O

T-tall, muscular, with exchangeable parts...  :blush:
... Book markin that.

I like some of Angelsdoll's sculpts too.

Post Merge: February 28, 2012, 04:38:06 PM

So, how is a DZ boys head supposed to look on the inside? Mine has a nice spot for the S hook to rest on oooone side... And nothing on the other... I discovered this after his s hook sliiiid outta place, smacked into his neck, and left a chip. D:

He's strung soooo tight...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:38:06 PM by SuniMoon »

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Hi Knibitz :)

I've a rather broad question, for which I , but would you know of any reasonably priced companies that produce centaur/faun/4-legged BJDs, MSD-size or smaller?
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »
I have another one too... if I were to get a custom face up done on a doll, would the face and body having different seals make them yellow differently? Also, if a company offers custom face ups, how does that work? Do I draw something? or do I describe it in excrusiating detail? or what? And last one (for this batch) things like horns and what not, how do they attatch? Magnets?

Knibitz

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »
reasonably priced is a really relative term, so it's hard to say... for me, a reasonably priced doll is 400 XD but I know that's ridiculous to a lot of people.

impldoll, soom, and daisydayes are the companies that come to mind for centaurs.
I don't think any of those are inexpensive though...

I do know impldoll has a history of their fantasy dolls being off topic for doa ( XD yes I am sure of this, I was just looking at threads the other day, lol... I'm sorry on my daisy dayes inaccuracy the other day ;A; I've made note!)

impl does both msd and tiny sizes  (I actually LOVE the msd deer body: http://www.impldoll.com/goods.php?id=552 )
soom does just a tiny size, that I can think of, at the moment (aside from the 50cm zinc centaur) and they're also only limiteds? >.o

and them daisy dayes elise: http://www.jpopdolls.net/store/product.php?productid=2448&cat=266&page=1

are you interested in 4 legged animals like cats? Camilla Dynasty is a lesser well known company who makes adorable little kittens.

resinsoul has 42cm Yao a female fawn for 160$ (from canadian dealer - featherfall, I'm not sure about the price at other dealers) http://www.featherfall.ca/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=226_228&products_id=2726
and then not a fawn, but they have a dragon boy that's 28cm for 128. http://www.featherfall.ca/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=226_229&products_id=3887

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anything done to your doll can make it yellow faster. it will possibly make it yellow faster or slower, depending on the sealant. And the sealant may yellow and not the resin.
It's nothing I would really get panicy about though. People get dolls different face ups all the time. It's not something that's going to be blindingly obvious. Your dolls face will rub off before it gets drastically color difference if you doll is kept in good condition and away from constant direct sunlight and smoke.

Custom face ups are different for every company. Dollmore I know you can describe and draw, latidoll actually has a form where you click and select specifics. In most cases, though, you'll be able to link to a photo or just give a description of what you want. I've never done a custom company face up, but I know people who have and they've sent drawings, photos, and descriptions. So it's whatever :)   (this is dollmore, luts, and dream of doll that I know I've had friends have dolls get custom face ups)
things like horns, most of the time, are magnets. In some dolls the magnets are embedded in the rest of the head(cap), other times it's glued inside the head-cap, and other times you just get two magnets and you tape the magnet to the head with a little painters tape.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
How about this: I know when I was looking at LUTS dolls you said to stay within the same group if I wanted to pair them. Now my eye is straying to some lovely souldolls and the two I am considering are both in the "double" section, but there is a 6.5 cm difference in height. Will that look bad? Would pairing a luts doll and a souldoll look sillier?

Knibitz

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »
It's really up to you... I'd suggest getting out a tape measure and just looking at the heights. Put magnets on the fridge at the different heights and just try to visualize if those could be different height differences.

or if you want to do the math, the dolls you're looking at are 1/3 scale
so do height in cm * 3, that will give you their height in cm, and then convert to feet and inches.

(you can do this all in google; ex:
search: "62 centimeters * 3" = 1.86 meters
then search: "1.86 meters to feet and inches" = 6.1023622 feet (6 feet 115⁄64 inch)

this means a 62cm SD (3rd scale doll) is roughly 6ft tall if it were a real person.

so it's up to you :)

I will say that luts tends to be very stylized, while souldoll tends to be quite realistic, so side by side they can look a bit off.
For me, this hasn't really bothered me... I mix teenie rather realistic migidoll heads with giant wide eyed delf heads and it's never bothered me.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 12:24:38 AM »
O.o those are big differences...
Howl would be 6' 1"
Eliot would be 6'
Celina would be 5' 4"
and Annette would be 5' 9"

I will wip out the magnets when it is not 2:30 a.m.

Thank you Knibitz!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal