collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prepping for Partial Rerooting - How do?  (Read 1050 times)

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
Prepping for Partial Rerooting - How do?
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
So I bought myself a Wigwam.  The price wasn't too bad and he is missing a bit of hair in front but I can fix it. The question is HOW? How do you get rid of the short stubblies in front without messing with the rest of it? I have seen restorations of both dolls and ponies marked "partial reroot" but never seen info for just removing the bad part.

Anyone care to enlighten? :D

Offline CopperBluJu

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Prepping for Partial Rerooting - How do?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »
I dont know how others do it, and I have been away a looong time but I used a broken rehairing needle to 'catch' the plugg and push it inside the ponies head. Cut the damaged hair as close close close as possible. The longer prong of the broken rehairing needle is the guide through the plugg and the broken bit pushes the plugg down. Thats how I did my one and had no other problems like a rock hard body which if your has, hot water might be involved. The cut pluggs will remain inside the ponies head which as long as its not a cleat body shouldnt be an issue.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »
But then how would you secure the new plugs? Wouldnt you need to remove the head to glue the new plugs?

Offline Kanthaka

• Trade Count: (+342)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Crafting Instagram
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
Whenever I've done a partial reroot, I've just removed the head altogether and pulled out the remains of the cut plugs.  After rehairing, I've used a little glue to secure.

Lon-san

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »
(The head WILL be comming off. Or at least that's the plan.)

I dont know how others do it, and I have been away a looong time but I used a broken rehairing needle to 'catch' the plugg and push it inside the ponies head. Cut the damaged hair as close close close as possible. The longer prong of the broken rehairing needle is the guide through the plugg and the broken bit pushes the plugg down. Thats how I did my one and had no other problems like a rock hard body which if your has, hot water might be involved. The cut pluggs will remain inside the ponies head which as long as its not a cleat body shouldnt be an issue.
Cleat body?

Whenever I've done a partial reroot, I've just removed the head altogether and pulled out the remains of the cut plugs.  After rehairing, I've used a little glue to secure.
So they just pull out without taking the rest of the hair with them?

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:11:27 PM »

Cleat body?

I think it was supposed to be 'clear' :)  makes sense to me anyway, and I hit that pesky T on my keyboard instead of the R all the time XD

Lon-san

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
Oh! Sorry XD I thought maybe it was a term I'd missed.

Offline tehrin

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »
Here's a pony I did a partial rehair on:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her pink was already all chopped almost down to the holes. But the yellow had been hacked away and a good portion of the blue had a chunk taken out of it.  Anything that wasn't already super short, I snipped short with scissors.

Then I got a mug of boiling water from the microwave. Dunked the head in to soften it up.  Then slip some long craft tweezers (needle nose plyers work too) and just grab and pull in the short areas. You'll see the hair start to pull out bit by bit. When it becomes difficult, redunk and start over. Make sure you leave anything that is still at it's length uncut.  You'll see if you start to pull the longer hairs that some of it goes in. Just pull it back out. It's too long to be pulled all the way out with ease anyway!

To rehair, start from the beginning and just start filling in the plugs using whatever method you are comfortable with.  To secure it, just put in a bit of glue. I use fabric glue... namely because tacky glue isn't water resistant and will come off with water. Fabric glue stays! :D

Let the glue dry, re-attach and style your pony!

You'll also want to trim the hair to match the length too!  Make sure that when you cut you just don't make blunt chops across. It looks very choppy and doesn't blend well with the pony's hair. I cut close to the length and then make small snips in the same direction the hair is going... easier to show with a diagram!

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline CopperBluJu

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:02:04 AM »

Cleat body?

I think it was supposed to be 'clear' :)  makes sense to me anyway, and I hit that pesky T on my keyboard instead of the R all the time XD
Yes 'Clear' sorry. It was a glow n show. As for gluing without removing the head I stick a needle through the new pluggs and use a syringe filled with glue to put a little bead right were its needed. Once dry I give a little tug to make sure it secured all the hair. The needle has been awsome when gluing hard to reach, small, and delicate things. I didnt mention it before cause they can be a problem to get.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal