collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Will all G1 ponies get cancer ultimately?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Will all G1 ponies get cancer ultimately?
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »
Hi Guys

I know this is possibly the most morbid depressing topic in the whole of ponydom, but I just have this horrible nagging feeling about this!

I am spending so much money trying to buy the mintiest G1s now to have a beautiful pristine collection, but it is really scary thinking I have no idea what they may all look like ten years from now:/ I have nearly 1000 minty ponies now, and I would be devistated if they all started to degrade .

Does anyone else have a bad feeling about this, and how do u deal with it?

Sorry to put a downer on everyone's day!

Bbp

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Will all G1 ponies get cancer ultimately?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
It's possible, but I'd be surprised if all of them did. If we're talking about plastic breakdown caused by bacteria, we don't know where the bacteria comes from to begin with. If it's just plastic breakdown in general, I'd imagine conditions they're stored in make a difference, as does exactly what went into that batch of plastic. And plastic in general doesn't decompose well and tends to stick around for a long time, so I think the "lifespan" of a G1 will be pretty long.

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
I truly think they will live longer than us. Aww now I am thinking about our own mortality now rather than decaying ponies.  >_<

Although, if the pony is kept in poor conditions, then, yeah I could imagine it getting cancer.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
I'm afraid all ponies will degrade at some point, it is just what plastic does. Whether this means cancer though I don't know, but they will break down.

I found this interesting article on plastic degradation:-

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1655

I love this quote from it! ^^

Derek Pullen, a conservator at the Tate Gallery, explains, ‘Plastics are giant molecules held together by forces which can be broken by attacking energy forces such as light. All the conservator can do is to keep mouldings in a very stable, low energy environment (the burial chambers of the Pyramids were ideal)’.

Looks like we all need to build a pony pyramid! lol

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
I think it's possible, but not inevitable. The fact that some of one particular pony have cancer while others of that same pony do not indicates that there are variables in play that we can't fully understand.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »
A pony pyramid...  :lmao:  I love it!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
I'd say that it's likely to happen after several decades more but it all depends on the conditions in which the vinyl was manufactured and how much reground plastic the batch contains.  Not something you can do any tests for... 

Then there is also the factor of "how was it stored?" - introducing new microbes to the vinyl can also cause this process to start.  :(  So I'd say that in a few decades, the "trouble" ponies will likely be impossible to find in perfection (Party Time, Cloud Puff, Bright Eyes, etc.) because we already know that the majority of plastic batches from them are made of regrind and discolor quickly. 

However, the value of ponies is totally subjective.  My MIL collects antique chairs and glassware.  I would have no idea how much a chair from 1760 is worth but it fits nicely under me at dinner so YAY SHE HAS CHAIR.  Likewise, she can ramble on about a $300 sherbet glass but it looks like something you can buy at Target for $4.99 so I have no perspective.  If the ponies make you HAPPY then what does it matter what you paid for them... 

Do you think Beyonce and Paris Hilton cared whether or not they flung $100 at a $10 pony just to make sure they had it?  Does it make them any more or less happy to display it and brush it than it would you in your pony room?  Okay then!  Pony is pony is pony!  :D  *pony hugs*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sakuyamon

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
Some ponies gets cancer and age spots easier than other ponies, like Night Light... so I'm thinking that it depends on where and how and what the pony is made of that plays a big role.
I'm more afraid of that all ponies will loose their plasticiser and become rock hard! XD

Itajn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
I think, as the time passes, more and more people will be interested in preservation of various plastics. Not only collectors, but museums and scientists too.
So, may be in a future we'll have the way to at least prevent breakdown, if not cure completely.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
Some ponies gets cancer and age spots easier than other ponies, like Night Light... so I'm thinking that it depends on where and how and what the pony is made of that plays a big role.
I'm more afraid of that all ponies will loose their plasticiser and become rock hard! XD

At least they would still look pretty for display, yes?

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
most of the ponies will outlive you so do not worry
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Sakuyamon

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »

At least they would still look pretty for display, yes?

Yeees, but if they fell from a shelf (like during an earthquake) onto you, it might knock ya out cold.

And we wouldnt be able to throw around fakies anymore XD

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »

Yeees, but if they fell from a shelf (like during an earthquake) onto you, it might knock ya out cold.

And we wouldnt be able to throw around fakies anymore XD

Death by pony. What a way to go.

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance everypony!!!

Oh and did I miss something are Beyonce and Paris Hilton known pony collectors?!?!?

Confused :/

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance everypony!!!

Oh and did I miss something are Beyonce and Paris Hilton known pony collectors?!?!?

Confused :/
they collect some I guess. lady gaga does some pony related stuff also.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal