collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tarantula owners and lovers! Advice?  (Read 207 times)

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
Tarantula owners and lovers! Advice?
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »
I'm looking into buying my first tarantula. As adorable as I find pinktoes, I don't want an arboreal species since they're fast with setups I don't have room for.

I'm looking at red knees (B. smithi) and Chaco golden knees (G. pulchripes) since I want something slow, docile, terrestrial, and minimally handleable. I've heard good things about zebras and rosehairs too. I know terrestrial tarantulas can be hair kickers and nippers, but I'm not too worried about that. I've had hairs kicked at me before.

Any tarantula owners on the Arena have advice on species for beginners, care, or cautionary words?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Tarantula owners and lovers! Advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
Rosehairs are great. Sweet little things. Hubby has one right now and she's a doll. My little boy was more shy. Hubby says that's normal for the boys. He also says rosehairs are the best for beginners. My current baby is a Salmon Pink though. Don't recommend those unless you want a tarantula who wants to eat you, but she is super cute!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »
If you are going to feed them june bugs are ok for them to eat if you can catch any but stay away from any other beetles. I will also say they can eat spring peeper frogs as well but no more than ONCE A YEAR! more than that will make molting much harder. Field crickets are also ok to feed to them as well unless the yard is treated with pesticides that could make the spider sick. 

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:39:56 PM »
Rosehairs are great. Sweet little things. Hubby has one right now and she's a doll. My little boy was more shy. Hubby says that's normal for the boys. He also says rosehairs are the best for beginners. My current baby is a Salmon Pink though. Don't recommend those unless you want a tarantula who wants to eat you, but she is super cute!
I've had my share of exotics who wanted to gnaw my hand off (my dad's iguana comes to mind) but rosehairs are looking promising. They don't look that expensive either which is good.

If you are going to feed them june bugs are ok for them to eat if you can catch any but stay away from any other beetles. I will also say they can eat spring peeper frogs as well but no more than ONCE A YEAR! more than that will make molting much harder. Field crickets are also ok to feed to them as well unless the yard is treated with pesticides that could make the spider sick. 
I plan on buying crickets and meal worms at the pet store. I save garden bugs for my venus flytraps. c:

Duster reference]

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »
Sounds like you have some good advice.  Goodluck :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal