collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Giving a discount in exchange for positive feedback on Ebay  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just left positive feedback for a seller on Ebay. No sooner was the feedback submitted than I got an emal from the seller thanking me for positive feedback and offering a discount on my next purchase. (To be fair, I think it's a form email) but I wasn't aware that a seller could send you a discount offer as a thank you for positive feedback. Is this allowed on Ebay? There was no mention of the discount until after positive feedback was left and it's not for a discount on Ebay but for their website and Facebook sales page. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:23:03 AM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline biff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Fakie!
  • ~mew~
    • View Profile
    • Lizzkitt3h's Crafty Things
Re: Giving a discount in exchange for positive feedback on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:45:44 AM »
I'd say it's technically against the rules. EBay does not allow using their platform for communication of dealings off eBay.  I'd say sending a discount code post feedback is fine, but since it's explicitly for something off site, it would not be ok.  You should have an option on the message to report it within the eBay platform if you wanted to let them know. They'll process an investigation before they do anything to the seller.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:34:10 AM »
It's against the rules to pay for or give discounts for positive feedback as far as I know.  But did the seller specifically say "You can have a discount because you left positive feedback"?   I think that if the seller didn't blatantly lay it out like that, it's not against the rules.  Sellers are allowed to give repeat buyers discounts.

At any rate I wouldn't report them, it's not like they're doing any harm.

Edit:  Oh, I didn't read closely enough--just noticed it's for a non-eBay purchase.  Yeah, that's probably against the rules.  Not because of the feedback thing, but because eBay doesn't want anyone advertising off-eBay items via eBay.

That said, personally I still wouldn't report them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:36:37 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »
Thanks biff and LadyMoondancer. I'm not going to report them for it if it is against the rules I was just curious if it was allowed because I've never had it happen before. Here is text of the email they sent me.

Hi, (my name)

We've just received an update that you left a positive feedback for (name of item) Thank you so much for helping our business grow and stay competitive on eBay. So with that being said below we have a special 60% off  your second item when you come back and shop with us!   

Link to Facebook page and Sales page.

Seller's name   

After reading through the email again and checking the link the Sales page does lead back to Ebay ad so does the discount code.

Ponyfan

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
I actually don't see why that would be against the rules.

What is against the rules is offering something in exchange for feedback, but they didn't do that.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
I actually don't see why that would be against the rules.

What is against the rules is offering something in exchange for feedback, but they didn't do that.

Yeah, it's not like they said, "Give us positive or we will send you a box of poop" or anything like that.  They in essence said, "Thanks for supporting us, here is a little something to convey our gratitude."  You'd still have to buy from them again in order to use the discount, so it's not really anything to do with your already completed transaction.  I wouldn't report them, I'd be happy they had given the option for a discount in the future.  :) 

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I made this thread just for more information  because it's never happened me before. :) I wouldn't report someone to Ebay for something like this. It was really nice that they are offering a discount on a future purchase. The thing that made me a little suspicious was the fact that I got the email about 1 minute after I left positive feedback.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal