collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies you didn't like until you saw them in person?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies you didn't like until you saw them in person?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2021, 04:07:31 AM »
I feel like Banana Surprise just doesn’t photograph well. I always thought she was ‘meh’ but I jumped to buy the first one I saw in person. She’s really lovely.

It also took me ages to get TE Gingerbread. I disliked that pose for a long time, so that didn’t help. However, when I finally got her I loved her. Her colour combination is just perfect.

Elf

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 04:34:01 AM »
I hated TAF Buttons for years but then, suddenly, out of the blue, I loved her and was compelled to buy her. She became a grail for me and now I own her. I was able to get her at a good price due to her having a hair cut  :lol:

Also, I wasn't bothered about Twist or Taffy either, but now I'm hunting them down!

Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »
I hated all Dance ‘n Prance ponies from the moment I was made aware of them.  As a kid, I absolutely detested them.  I thought they were just wrong.  I hated the ugly knobs. I hated the “trashy” accessories.  I hated the entire concept. 

Then, as an adult, I went to my first pony meet and saw one actually working in person. It was the funniest thing I ever saw!  The vibrating!  The tail!  HILARIOUS.  From that point on, I was hooked. Now I love them, but they have to be fully functional. Broken ones - nope.  They have to work, and work well.

A similar thing happened with the UK Mummy pony. I had zero interest in that pony for years.  I wasn’t into the whole look of the thing, and I found the giving birth thing just…squicky. However, at one point I was trying to fill in my UK collection holes, and the babies were cute.  Right at that time the Mummy pony’s price was starting to really climb into the $200-$300 range, and had been creeping up for some time.  I happened to see someone had one for trade, excellent condition, fully functional, and with the babies, and I happened to have what she wanted.  I figured I should get it now before the price went up even more, especially since I could get it for no money, just trade items. 

So I got it in. I loaded one of the babies and pushed the button.  It shot right out like a fetus missile!   Again, it was the funniest thing I’d ever seen. And again it was love at first sight(of the thing working).

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2021, 09:34:51 PM »
When I initially began collecting vintage MLP, I thought all of the Twinkle Eye Ponies had quite unsettling and weird designs. The entire set of gemstone eyes seemed bizarre and didn't appeal to me, I remember finding red-eyed Galaxy a bit creepy in particular. I'd probably never buy any of them, right?
However, when I saw a $10 eBay listing of G1 Masquerade in good condition (I'll miss those low prices), I couldn't resist purchasing and wanted her for myself. She single-handedly won me over on TE Ponies with her overall interesting design! I loved the striking greenish-blue colors of her hair, and those shiny eyes were really neat up close.

Today, I own seven TE Ponies and want every single one someday, I understand why they're so popular! It's also ironic how Galaxy became my second favorite from the set after I collected her... My top favorite is actually red-eyed Locket, she's even one of the most beloved ponies I have right now. :snicker:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
Medley! I'm not a huge fan of green so I didn't think I'd like her but when I finally got her I realized her shades of green are very pleasing!

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
Cupcake!

After I got Sweetstuff as a kid, I found I really didn't like her pose.  She was the first pony I regretted getting.  So when I got Cupcake in a lot, I assumed that I wouldn't like her either.  But Cupcake is so beautiful! Her hair is such a gorgeous shade and her pink eyes fit so well with her design.  She's so pretty even Sweetstuff grew on me as the pose didn't bother me as much.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 07:49:15 AM »
Probably g4.5 toys after seeing them in person I got used to them. They aren’t that bad. Also g3 I already owned a few but I only started liking them now when I started to buy more.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 08:22:06 PM »
The Loyal Subject Ponies. I thought they looked clunky and disproportionate. But I resolved to buy a few to support G1 stuff,  and they're actually fairly cute in person.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline dannahbanana

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Instagram 💖
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 06:47:45 PM »
SS Shady was probably that pony for me. I wasn't big on the so softs, and also wasn't a fan of the neon hair, but decided to buy her because I saw one in excellent condition for cheap with the original comb. My first instinct when she showed up in the mail (I had even forgotten she was coming) was to pick her up and hug her! I loved her flocking so much! So Softs are tricky to find in good condition but I fell in love with them from that point forward!

Offline Paleopony

• Fakie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2022, 04:22:52 PM »
At first, I thought Whizzer wasn’t anything special, but when I saw her at a collectibles store, I found her pretty cute. She reminds me of G4 Starlight Glimmer. Even though she’s not in perfect condition, I bought her for $3. She’s not my favorite, but she’s a treasured part of my collection. Another one is Sunlight. Wasn’t such a big fan of her until I found her at that same collectibles store. She was in pretty bad shape yet she cost only $2.  I bought her so I could clean her up as good as possible (because one of my favorite parts of collecting ponies is making them look new again). She has some cancer spots and her tail is completely gone (I’ll give her a new one someday), yet once she was cleaned up and her hair was brushed, I fell in love. Turns out her hair is more complex than I originally thought. Rather than her mane being arranged into a simple rainbow with monotone colors, it actually has hair of separate colors overlapping one another, and it produces a nice effect.

Offline mysgalaxy

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 04:35:19 PM »
When I initially began collecting vintage MLP, I thought all of the Twinkle Eye Ponies had quite unsettling and weird designs. The entire set of gemstone eyes seemed bizarre and didn't appeal to me, I remember finding red-eyed Galaxy a bit creepy in particular. I'd probably never buy any of them, right?
However, when I saw a $10 eBay listing of G1 Masquerade in good condition (I'll miss those low prices), I couldn't resist purchasing and wanted her for myself. She single-handedly won me over on TE Ponies with her overall interesting design! I loved the striking greenish-blue colors of her hair, and those shiny eyes were really neat up close.

Today, I own seven TE Ponies and want every single one someday, I understand why they're so popular! It's also ironic how Galaxy became my second favorite from the set after I collected her... My top favorite is actually red-eyed Locket, she's even one of the most beloved ponies I have right now. :snicker:

i find the twinkle eyes a bit unsettling too, i don't know if i like the eye gems a lot
however, fizzy is one of my favorite G1 characters, i want to get her but i'm scared i wont like her
♡ they/them pronouns ♡
sig by me

Offline honor_h

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2022, 07:01:30 AM »
Sweetheart Sister ponies. I only got one because she'd been hanging around on a seller's site  for ages and I felt sorry for her so I got one with a pony I wanted and I fell in love. Even now when I look at SHS ponies in web pics I'm meh when I know they aren't in person. Does make it difficult deciding which ones I want next though.

My small G2 collection is due to a cheap add on buy too. G2s are very cheering ponies in person to me, but I don't have the desire to get loads of them. Generally I don't like ponies with open mouths, but I love the laughing look they have. I think you'd have a good night out with a group of G2s.

Lovely Whizzer sig by Starscout
Fabulous avatar by Trinity

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2022, 09:11:34 AM »
Sunny Starscout and Izzy Moonbow. I thought they were weird, (they still kinda are) but when I got them in my pack I decided Not to customize them. They're rather cute.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2022, 09:59:54 AM »
When I was younger I wasn't the biggest fan of the North Star pose, & didn't like Ponies in it at first. I got North Star because her pose was held in her card at a flattering angle, but others I wasn't so keen on. However, the pose grew on me & ponies like Masquerade, Braided Beauty & so on earned their place in my heart & my Ponyworld, bringing Lofty, Sweet Pop & so on with them (the ones we didn't have in the UK).

I also didn't want to judge the G5 Ponies until I had them in hand. I like the brushables, except they're too small, or too big in the case of my big Sunny, to integrate into the main Ponyworld (even the G4 Fashion Styles can integrate well enough). The small ones can kind of fit in with G4, but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh (sighs). As & of themselves, I think they're quite cute
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2022, 03:14:55 PM »
G5 brushables definitely. I got the pack with the 3 G4 and 3 new characters and I absolutely think they are great
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal