collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wonderful Nature - Thread  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Wonderful Nature - Thread
« on: May 11, 2022, 05:43:36 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Welcome to write about nature and its wonders.  :hope:

There was also a pony forum here in Finland (which has already been closed  :( ) and there I also wrote this kind of nature thread. I miss those moments and I want to continue writing about nature here as well.

Nature is very important to me and I love to explore it. Spring and summer are the best times to make great observations and discoveries. But autumn and winter are also very nice seasons. Then you can make completely different observations.  :cool:

(The picture of the hedgehog above is from 2016.)

Here's my earlier story from What made you smile today? - thread.  :)

May 07, 2022.

I almost came under attack from the hedgehogs!  :lmao:
At 10 o'clock in the evening I took food to the hedgehog. At first it was nowhere to be seen, but then I heard a puffing (is the word correct?) under the bush. I said, "Oh, there you are." I lowered the dish to the ground and turned toward my door until suddenly another hedgehog ran towards me!  :blink: Luckily, it just went past me right next to my foot and ran to another hedgehog. So they started pushing each other hard and their "hiss" continued louder. As the two hedgehogs fought, a rustle began to sound right next to me in the bush!  :blink: A third hedgehog emerged. It, in turn, ran to my feet to sniff me until it spotted the fighters and fled back into the bush in fright.
I finally got to sneak back inside for my own chores and left the hedgehogs to spend the spring.  :biggrin:

These are certainly the same hedgehogs I met last summer. The fighters are males and what is hidden is a female.  :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Wonderful Nature - Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 08:41:25 PM »
That's really exciting, hedgehogs are amazing. We found one in in a pampas grass last year and relocated it to a winter den. I'm in the Brecon Beacons this week and we have seen some great birds and plants. A pair of redstarts at Aberglasney. Red kites. A pair of yellow hammers at the Usk reservoir.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 05:52:48 AM »
Yay, you made the thread :D

I also love nature, animals, the universe... I'm a lifelong animal lover and there's never been a moment in my life where I was not around animals. My parents live in a wildlife rich area but they keep building houses pushing out the larger animals like bobcats and the Florida panther :(

I've seen all kinds of things in person. I did more exploring when I lived in Wisconsin. In fact, where I used to live there was a forest across the street I would go walking in almost daily. Saw a lot of whitetail deer and coyotes. I've seen coyotes here too and a black bear once. Seen a few bobcats, alligators of course, they are everywhere. Snakes, lizards, turtles and tortoises, and an abundance of birds.

Darn, all my photos are on my old laptop. I'll have to dig some up. I do have this picture I took of a lunar eclipse a few years ago.

I have both a telescope and microscope :)

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 06:24:46 AM »
I will have to dig out some pictures of the fluffles that we get each year down at the neighbourhood pools. Canada goslings (this year 13 so far), Moorhen chicks and ducklings are the usual candidates.

Dad and I also encountered a young hedgehog snuffling around in the open last autumn, in the forest. It was totally unconcerned by us. We have them in our garden as well, sometimes. 

Otherwise, the little fledglings are hilarious. Last year there was a baby sparrow who was failing at its flying lessons. There was an irate parent on the fence telling it off, as it kept flapping and then falling back into the Choisya bush. All while we were out there, of course. And the baby starlings trying to learn how to use the feeder...and falling off...also quite funny.

I once had a baby sparrow come in my room by accident. It misflew and ended up coming in my open window. I had to coax it out of my wardrobe, and then guide it back to the window. I often wonder what happened to it after it left my room. It would be long gone from this world now but I like to think it grew up and had a happy life and that maybe some of the sparrows living on and around the grape vine that grows under my window are its descendents.

Oh yes. About a mile from where we live there is a big expanse of nature, it's a kind of a park that was originally the grounds of something, but it's now a big nature area that people visit with their kids and stuff. We see a lot of birds and squirrels and stuff there. But we actually saw goldcrests for the first time, which was pretty cool.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 06:41:05 AM »
Hedgehogs are so cute :lovey: @Heart Of Midnight your post prompted me to go watch several youtube videos about hedgehogs and it sounds like they would be great to have in the garden.

I see a lot of deer around here. which i like but also there are a lot of highways so it can be dangerous in the fall and winter when it get dark earlier. we have a lot of birds around. even hawks and lots of vultures. i was hoping to see some squirrels in the new neighborhood considering there are some older oaks trees. but none yet :(

also, not nature but there are quite a few farms still around with horses and cows. I like to see them just hanging out. they always look so relaxed and i want to pet them. i don't obviously.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 07:12:28 AM »
I wish I lived where hedgehogs do, they're one of my favorite critters because they're so cute! 

We have a robin nest in a shrub next to our house.  There are 4 eggs in it but I don't know if I'll get a picture or not because I don't want to disturb the parents.  My mom has had to chase away some crows that were trying to get to the nest so we're trying to keep an eye on the robins without scaring them off.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 02:28:21 PM »
Great that a lot of stories have come here! :) It is nice to read about nature sightings from all over the world.  :lovey:

BlackCurtains, you have a really gorgeous photo of the moon! :cool: I tried a moment ago to take a picture of the moon with a cell phone camera, but it didn’t turn out good.  :blush: I’m just better off admiring it with my eyes, rather than trying to store it on a memory card. :lol:

I didn’t see the hedgehog today when I took the food. I have to take the food only when the darkness has arrived, because the crow is stealing the food from the hedgehog! :mad: It doesn’t come anymore when it’s dark. :P

A couple of days ago I heard Common Chiffchaff has arrived! It has a great and fun chiff-chaff song. In Finnish, it is called Tiltaltti.  :D
The European Pied Flycatcher has also arrived at our yard on the same day. In Finnish, it is called Kirjosieppo.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 08:00:53 AM »
My mom checked yesterday and there are still 4 eggs in the robin's nest. :)

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 07:18:48 PM »
^ Hopefully the robin's nesting will be successful!  :) :heart:

----

I saw a fox in my garden a moment ago! :frolic: My brother had seen it one morning in his own yard and had taken a photo of it. (My brother is my neighbor.)

The hedgehog was already waiting for the food cup at nine in the evening!  :lol: I took the cup to the hedgehog at eleven o'clock. The crow was already asleep then. ^.^

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 09:26:27 PM »
There are now baby birdies in the nest.  When I got home from work I could tell that mommy robin wasn't on the nest so I snuck a peak and there were tiny birdies huddled together taking a nap.  They're still fairly naked but once they get some fuzz they'll be adorable.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 05:52:39 AM »
We have hooded crows nesting in our roof. I can't see them but I can hear them! Cheep cheep!  >_<
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 06:08:48 AM »
The mockingbird was on the roof under my window again (I mentioned her in the smiles thread). She was singing and singing. Or he. I still need to look up if both sing...

Next time I'll take a pic :)

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 01:38:40 AM »
What does the fox say? :fox:

I went to bed rather late last night and was just about to fall asleep as I heard a fox outside. I see them pretty regularly here, and I've heard their cries before but this one was practically behind our bedroom window, screaming. :lmao: What a creepy sound they make. My cats were flabbergasted. :lol: I admit my heart was pounding for some time, too, after waking up so suddenly. Took me a second to realise where the noise was coming from, and that my cats were fine and not crying in pain. I saw the fox too, after a couple of minutes screaming it took off. I think it stopped to mark its territory on the way. :P

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 06:08:26 PM »
What does the fox say? :fox:

I went to bed rather late last night and was just about to fall asleep as I heard a fox outside. I see them pretty regularly here, and I've heard their cries before but this one was practically behind our bedroom window, screaming. :lmao: What a creepy sound they make. My cats were flabbergasted. :lol: I admit my heart was pounding for some time, too, after waking up so suddenly. Took me a second to realise where the noise was coming from, and that my cats were fine and not crying in pain. I saw the fox too, after a couple of minutes screaming it took off. I think it stopped to mark its territory on the way. :P

"Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!..."  :rolleyes:  That started ringing inside my head as I read the beginning of your writing!  :lmao:

Great observation! :iconclap: But there’s definitely a little shock to waking up to its scream just when you’re about to fall asleep!  :shocked: :lol: When I first heard the fox scream, I thought now that some woman is in distress and is being beaten! :shocked: But as the screaming continued the same for a long time, I realized it was an animal. The next day I listened to fox audio samples on the internet.

---

Late on Monday night, I heard for the first time this spring a cuckoo singing!  :frolic: It was very close. I heard Bittern "singing" too! My house is at least 3,109 miles from the lake. It’s amazing that the voice of a bird comes here to me nicely and loudly. :wow:

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 10:42:43 PM »
Great observation! :iconclap: But there’s definitely a little shock to waking up to its scream just when you’re about to fall asleep!  :shocked: :lol: When I first heard the fox scream, I thought now that some woman is in distress and is being beaten! :shocked: But as the screaming continued the same for a long time, I realized it was an animal. The next day I listened to fox audio samples on the internet.

Haha yes that's exactly what I did the first time as well :lol: 

Late on Monday night, I heard for the first time this spring a cuckoo singing!  :frolic: It was very close. I heard Bittern "singing" too! My house is at least 3,109 miles from the lake. It’s amazing that the voice of a bird comes here to me nicely and loudly. :wow:

That's lovely! (Psst, I think you mean 3.109 miles - a small difference in orthographic conventions but a big difference in meaning so translating here for our Anglophone folks :D )

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal