collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Zelle and Venmo  (Read 1356 times)

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Zelle and Venmo
« on: May 01, 2022, 07:14:06 AM »
I've done my own research into these, but I want honest opinions for users. Does anyone use them?

More and more people are moving away from Paypal and it's the only thing I have. I'm currently trying to buy a washer & dryer off Facebook Marketplace and everyone either wants cash (which I'm uncomfortable with) or Venmo, Zelle, CashApp, etc. I'd rather not use CashApp.

Any advice/opinions?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline stjarne

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • my teemnsy pone....
    • View Profile
Re: Zelle and Venmo
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »
id love some insight on venmo too. i have it, just never gotten to use it for pony sales and im wondering how different that process would be..
✧・゚* jar ・゚*✧
they/she ◦ 22
G3 wishes | jars pony junction | my insta

:cloud:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 08:38:30 PM »
I have and use Venmo! PayPal is still my preferred payment service, but Venmo is really good for sending friends and family quick payments for dinner, movies, car repairs etc. I actually just used it to buy some ponies off Instagram as well. I think Venmo is actually owned by PayPal now? But I noticed they now have a buyer protection you can flip on when you send payment, sort of like the goods and services option in PayPay! The only thing I don’t like is the social aspect of it. You can make payments private but like….what is the point? I don’t need to see what my friends are spending money on. It’s weird.

I’d be careful about accepting payment for Facebook marketplace transactions using apps unless you can verify the account you’re sending money to is legit. There are some crafty scams out there. My dad is trying to sell a couple of couches on marketplace and got what seemed like a legit buyer who wanted to pay using Zelle. He offered to send the payment ahead of seeing the couch which I told my dad seemed odd, but he didn’t listen. :P Anyway he got some email from what looked like Zelle support saying that he didn’t have enough money in his account to complete the transaction and he needed to put $500 in. I don’t 100% understand how the scam works….but it goes something like they send you the fake support email and they offer to send you the remainder of the $500 needed to make your account “valid”. Then they ask you to send it back, so essentially you are sending them back money that they never sent to your account (whatever payment the guy said he sent my dad did NOT show in the Zelle app). He figured out that this was a scam before any more info got exchanged, but I can see how that might be easy to fall for! I think Zelle is legit but idk that whole transaction made me wary of the service.

Venmo also has the option to find and send money to accounts using a QR code. I guess people have generated fake QR codes that sends the money elsewhere so you have to watch for that too.

Personally if I am buying off marketplace or any similar online service I typically only buy with cash or I’ll use Venmo if I can watch them pull up their account/QR code in person so I know it’s legit.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 05:31:02 AM »
Thanks! My bank offers Zelle through them, so it mighty be safer? I'll look into Venmo, it might be worth it to have an account.

I got my washer & dryer, btw :) They were listed by an appliance store and everything has been very professional.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 08:58:43 AM »
I am suspicious of Zelle simply because I only hear about it in relation to scams! I know Venmo is more popular nowadays with the zoomers (me in high school hearing people asking friends to "venmo" them money :P).

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline fireglides

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Crazy Scottie Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 08:35:06 PM »
Yay for getting the washer & dryer! :)  I appreciate you posting about this topic. My PayPal account just got hacked after I did my first sale in like 5 years. I caught it and notified the vendor (Chewy.com) and they are reporting it to their fraud department. Supposed to give me my money back in 5 business days. (Here's hoping!)

PayPal used to be the "go to" payment place, but now it sounds like it's very hit or miss with ponies. That is a huge bummer. This used to be pretty cut and dry. I have Venmo, so maybe it's better to move there going forward...
:good: Selling my collection -  take a peek! :nerdy:
   500 ponies - G1, G2, G3, G4 - includes Mail Orders, Comic Con, etc.

Includes other 80s items with more coming soon...

Offline The-Extravagant-Pony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 08:05:39 PM »
I personally only use paypal. It offers protection for both the buyer and the seller :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal