collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you dislike about customizing?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: What do you dislike about customizing?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 03:19:13 PM »
being a Perfectionist & Painting Details such as eyes and Symbols.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 12:02:02 PM »
Sanding.  Every time I think I'm finally done sanding, I'm not. LOL

Oh yes this! And often it looks fine until you paint over it and realise you were not done sanding after all.  >_< I try to avoid sanding as much as possible, meaning I'll try to smooth out everything as much as possible before the clay is cured / has been baked. And when working with cured clay, my preferred method is carving.

Bait prepping is also one of my least favourite things. I've been lucky to buy a lot of baits that have come already prepped, such a luxury!

Rehairing is not my favourite part, no matter what method I use. It's actually fine once I get going but it's something I really tend to procrastinate on, it's difficult to get motivated! It's also why alt rehairs aren't really my thing although I admire the work of others. :lol: Plus some of the ponies in my own herd have been waiting for new hair for *years*. Rehairing customs is enough for me, haha.

Cleaning up - I try to be more careful about responsible handling of waste. Years back when I didn't know better I just tossed bits of dried acrylic paint into the bin, before I learned that even non-toxic craft paints aren't something you can just dispose of with normal household waste (where I live it gets burned for energy). Nowadays I collect dried paint into a jar and try to be careful when cleaning my brushes, making sure I get almost all the paint off the brushes before rinsing them. I mean, all of this is important but I'm a person who's overly anxious about stuff like this and I don't like the stress it causes me... and I absolutely hate cleaning my palette. :P Which is why I do it maybe once a year, haha.

Trying to avoid cat hair and dust particles! I'm pretty confident with my painting and sealing work, but those pesky particles...! Well, it's an old joke that cat hair is the secret ingredient in our kitchen, and likewise I suppose you just can't get a Griffin custom without some small particles trapped under the paint or sealant.  :blush: 

And of course it's always annoying when things don't go the way I planned or I end up making a mistake that's difficult to fix... But I've also had a lot of happy accidents, and sometimes things turn out better the second time or when I need to get creative to fix a mistake, so it's not all bad. ;)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 05:47:45 AM »
Trying to avoid cat hair and dust particles! I'm pretty confident with my painting and sealing work, but those pesky particles...! Well, it's an old joke that cat hair is the secret ingredient in our kitchen, and likewise I suppose you just can't get a Griffin custom without some small particles trapped under the paint or sealant.  :blush: 

I can relate to this so much XD Yes, cat hair gets everywhere I don't care if you have a short haired cat or long haired. If it's got fur, you are going to find it in the weirdest places. I once found a cat hair in the dishwasher! ????

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2022, 05:44:04 PM »
Waiting for ANYTHING to dry/cure. I'm so impatient, and nothing makes that more apparent than having to wait for something to dry before I can get to the next step. Paint, sealant, glue, sculpting medium-- so frustrating.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal