collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What if Weston kept appearing in later episodes after "Spike's search"  (Read 637 times)

Offline TarkanDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Just your average 80's dragon boy
    • View Profile
Yeah... As you can tell by the title of this topic. I honestly felt like Weston needs more character development. Since obviously he's actually fits well along with Spike (being part of a duo perhaps)

For those who don't know who is Weston:
Spoiler
Weston is a baby eagle who wasn't been able to fly and separated once from his parents. He later joined along with Spike and Danny to find his parents... Well at one point Weston had went with Danny after Spike departed them to go to the so called "Dragon Gang" (then Spike regrets it after finding out that the Dragon Gang are actually bullies and stealing food from villiges) However in the end Weston stayed in Paradise Estate after a little while until his parents eventually found him.

But honestly I don't know if the Writers have given more depth or more character info reguarding Weston himself...

Overall there's some curtain characters that never reviled the age like Spike or any of the Bushwoolies or the Furbobs. I mean from what I've heard there's actually a Writers guide... Not sure if there's any character information in reguards of Spike or Weston however...

Honestly if Weston kept appearing in later episodes I guess he would be nearby Spike or maybe even when he decides to visit Paradise Estate...

Would be an interesting concept than having him as a one time appearance character...

But if anyone else have better ideas or anyone who has the writer's guide book of My Little Pony and Friends then let me know down in the comments/reply section on this topic...

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I think it would be particularly nice if they expanded on his family a little.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
It's kinda funny that G1 Spike befriended Weston, a baby eagle, and G4 Spike adopted a baby phoenix. I wonder if they did that on purpose to remember the original show, or if it was a coincidence. An interesting parallel between the two series, either way!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline TarkanDragon

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
I think it would be particularly nice if they expanded on his family a little.

Yeah I mean overall family trees are quite important. Like what area in Dream valley were they from? I mean they happen to live in the mountains... Overall we kinda do see a little in-depth of where they live in... But overall we've actually never got to see where dragons like Spike live... Despite of Spike having no memory of his parents... We kinda have some info of what his home would look like but only the inside not the outside part... At one point I think the family expansion would also apply to Spike also... But unfortunately we can't see what else is in store for Spike's hometown since obviously the first gen ended up with only 2 seasons.... Then again not sure if there's information in reguards of Spike in the Writer's guide of My little Pony and Friends.

So yeah...

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
There's probably a series bible, but it may not matter if the episode wasn't written by one of the main people involved with the series creation. I have never seen the pony show bible, but I've seen bits of the Jem one, and I know there are many characters who are not in it.

There's of course also 'Danny' in The Music Awards pt 1 and 2 who looks a lot like the pony Danny but older, which always got me since they were the same company at the same time and with crossover voice artists and writers.

At the same time there are characters like Craig, who may be in the bible - I'm not sure, honestly - but who only appeared in episodes written by Christy Marx herself (I think only Talent Search and Britrock, in fact). Even though The Bands Break Up went deep into Stormer and Kimber's lives, Craig, Stormer's brother, didn't make an appearance of any kind in it because it was written by someone else.

So with Weston it may matter who wrote the episode and whether they wrote many pony episodes or if they didn't. If that same writer didn't write another pony episode after that, it wouldn't have been included.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I always thought it was funny "Danny" was in Transformers too.  This kid has an enviable life.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I always thought it was funny "Danny" was in Transformers too.  This kid has an enviable life.

He must have a great agent.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
omg Danny was in TF too? XD I know he was in Jem but the TF cameo is a new one on me. Which ep?

Offline TarkanDragon

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
There's probably a series bible, but it may not matter if the episode wasn't written by one of the main people involved with the series creation. I have never seen the pony show bible, but I've seen bits of the Jem one, and I know there are many characters who are not in it.

There's of course also 'Danny' in The Music Awards pt 1 and 2 who looks a lot like the pony Danny but older, which always got me since they were the same company at the same time and with crossover voice artists and writers.

At the same time there are characters like Craig, who may be in the bible - I'm not sure, honestly - but who only appeared in episodes written by Christy Marx herself (I think only Talent Search and Britrock, in fact). Even though The Bands Break Up went deep into Stormer and Kimber's lives, Craig, Stormer's brother, didn't make an appearance of any kind in it because it was written by someone else.

So with Weston it may matter who wrote the episode and whether they wrote many pony episodes or if they didn't. If that same writer didn't write another pony episode after that, it wouldn't have been included.

Question: Well I've heard about the bible one time but never knew that it exists or to be seen. Can you direct me to the bible and I could see for myself?

About the 'Danny' part, I'd remember hearing about Danny's VA doing a voice in Teen Titans Go which I'm not familiar or interested with. But honestly G1 MLP VA can be anywhere... Speaking of VAs Weston's VA wasn't revealed which is strange at one point... But maybe we will find out on the future...

Now in reguards of the Writer of the episodes... "Michael Charles Hill" was the only writer who wrote the Spike's Search episode... And needless to say he did quite wrote well in regards of G1 MLP episode writing. I mean if the OG Writer is still available at one point we could try to ask him about it. Although I have not been able to contact him as of yet because I don't know how he will respond... Even though he have written a lot of stuff like: Robocop, Transformers, Space Adventure Cobra, etc.

I mean as in regards of the writer of Spike's Search. It's Michael Charles Hill.

Overall it's really an interesting coincidence how a writer of Robocop has also did an MLP G1 episode.  So yeah...

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
We're not talking about Danny's va, we're talking about Danny.  ;)

I didn't know about the TF one either, but there's obviously a reason behind it. It's really quite amusing.

As I said above, I've never seen a pony series bible, so I can't confirm if one exists. I know some folk have some stuff around the movie but MLP is so disjointed in its casting from series to series that it may not properly exist.  Jem is obviously more centred around the same setting and rough cast (ish) so it's not quite the same.

I know what I do about the Jem one because Christy Marx, who created it, was active in the Jem community for a long time and answered a lot of direct questions about things. I know the late Roger Slifer was also heavily involved in writing and had his own characters he'd include too, I think. But there were a lot of one off writers.

If the guy who wrote Spike's Search wrote other pony eps then he must have had a reason not to include Weston again in a later plot. But if not...that's your reason why he never appeared again.

I know there are writing crossovers between MLP and Jem, and also voice artists like Sue Blu (Paradise/Stormer), Charlie Adler (Spike/Eric) etc. But I know a lot more about the writing of the Jem series because of direct conversations with the person who constructed its framework.

The pony community has never been so good at putting together those bits and pieces, so I don't think the same level of knowledge and contacts exist.

...That said, I'm not really bothered enough about the G1 show to go hunting for any kind of bible, so someone more clued in on the G1 animation may have more information on whether one exists.

Also, I think it unlikely anyone who owned the MLP bible would put it online. I certainly know that people in the Jem community who have material like that - scripts, or the bible - are bound into a contract not to scan and upload them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:29:48 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Wait wait Spike and Eric are voiced by the same person!? XD I never realized! lol oh man that is amazing. This revelation gave me quite a chuckle after a long day at work, thank you so much~
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile

I know there are writing crossovers between MLP and Jem, and also voice artists like Sue Blu (Paradise/Stormer), Charlie Adler (Spike/Eric) etc. But I know a lot more about the writing of the Jem series because of direct conversations with the person who constructed its framework.

I love Jem but I didn't know Spike and Eric have the same va.  I would have never guessed the same person did both characters.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Hehe Charlie Adler was all over the place back in the day.

Wildshadow has a copy of the MLP and Friends writers guide, I'm not sure if that's anything like a show bible or not... What she's shown of it looks similar to other cartoon bibles I've seen scans of, so maybe. There's not much info about the behind-the-scenes stuff of the G1 cartoons, I wish there was more fandom interest in it, like there seems to be in the TF and Jem communities.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Wait wait Spike and Eric are voiced by the same person!? XD I never realized! lol oh man that is amazing. This revelation gave me quite a chuckle after a long day at work, thank you so much~

Yep. It's great, isn't it? I had a lot of laughs about that when I realised as well xD.

I'm sure there are probably more overlaps but I can't remember.

I was under the impression most of what Wildshadow had related to the movie but maybe I'm wrong? I would imagine that would be its own thing.

I don't know about the TF fandom, but the Jem one has been thoroughly excavated, people interviewed, prototypes located, master tapes located, scripts and bible copies, autographs etc accessed...lots of stuff. It makes me sad that we may have missed the window to really do this for MLP, although there are some bits and pieces and the contact with Bonnie and other older stuff has kind of come out. It still feels like we're missing a lot though.

Perhaps it doesn't help that, unlike Jem, MLP had such a diverse global footprint. Jem has some annuals and comics in the Uk but not a lot. There are a few French ones as well iirc. There are variant dolls but the line was so short it's not like MLP. Mexican and Spanish dolls kind of cover most of it. So probably Jem is easier to play with. But the active participation of so many of the people who worked on it is also a factor. Christy especially, but not just her.

We don't really have similar for MLP :/ With Jem it wasn't just the bible but having the ability to talk to the person who wrote the bible and ask her take on things or what she intended/was thinking/thought of episodes that contradicted it. That kind of input makes a difference :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal