collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your supply list!  (Read 733 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Your supply list!
« on: March 20, 2022, 06:49:46 AM »
What's on your supply list? I imagine we all have similar supplies we use, but I'm curious if there's anything interesting or unconventional you use.

My list consists of -
- Hair! Lots of hair. All kinds of hair. Nylon, Saran, Poly, Kiwi, Acetate, Viscose, mohair, alpaca, Tibetan lamb, g1 and g3 tails. There's probably more I'm forgetting.
- Baits! Mostly G3s but a bunch of G1 and G2 as well. I probably have... about 200 baits?
- Paints! Acrylics, mainly craft. Lots of Apple Barrel and Folk Art. A couple different sets of Createx airbrush paints including the pearl and iridescent colors. I also have a set of Arteza color shift paints. Metallic rub on tints and an antiquing medium.
- Paint brushes, a whole bunch. Some were very expensive and others were very cheap, they all have their uses.
- Sculpting tools for both polymer clay and Apoxie Sculpt.
- Floral wire, wire mesh and aluminum foil
- A small airbrush compressor for makeup. It works perfectly for ponies.
- A Pacche Double Action airbrush. It's several years old but still works great.
- Polymer clay! Lots of it! Many different colors and some special effects clay like pearl, stone, glitter and Glow in the Dark.
- Rehair Tool made by an old customizer who isn't around anymore.
- Thumb tacks for plug holes.
- Glitter. So much glitter.
- Tattoo Skin (which I haven't actually used yet)
- Bits and bobs from jewelry, lots of earrings. Charms. Chains. Leather strips. String.
- A selection of glues and varnishes.
- Cable ties, twisty ties, hair bands, head pins.
- Beads and crystals.
- Rit Dye powders.
- Straws, rubber bands, toothpicks, cotton balls, q-tips.
- A specific brush for hair.
- A small flat iron.
- 100% Acetone. Airbrush cleaner. Paint brush cleaner and restorer (highly recommended).
- Texture molds I made myself.
- Fabrics and faux furs.
- LED lights

I think that covers it. Things I don't have that I would like to replace is resin and molding clay. My resin turned yellow and my molding clay got too hot in my old bedroom and wouldn't mix together.

A lot of what I have I've either never or barely used. But when I shop for supplies I tend to go overboard :P I'm prepared for almost anything though!

What does your list look like? :art:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Your supply list!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 07:19:29 AM »
My List contains:

Nylon Hair lots of it in different colours for Ponies and custom dolls
Baits G1 ponies a whole lot I need
Paints Vallejo Acrylic Model & Game Colours
Paint Brushes
Sew on snaps (the ones I’ve got are too big for the doll clothes I’m going to make
Mini buckles for doll overalls
Rubber bands for doll hair (I might have some somewhere)
Fabrics for doll clothes
Clothes patterns for dolls
Vallejo primer
Fashionista Barbie dolls (for their heads and outfits)
Barbie Extra dolls for bodies
Made to Move (BMR1959, Looks)
Harry Potter dolls
A new tool that I use to make loom bands because it broke on me while I was removing doll hair (I watched My Froggy Stuff on YouTube) and she used one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 01:39:45 AM by bright rabbit 1 »

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 10:29:03 AM »
I'm on customizing hiatus for a bit, but just trying to think of what's in my designated Caboodle that contains pony supplies. In addition to most of the items already listed, I have:
Needles
Dental Floss
Thimble
Fine glitter
Wood sticks that come in caramel apples (they make good curlers!)
Paper towel strips for wrapping wet hair to dry (I reuse them until they finally tear)
Xacto knife
Painter's tape
Toothbrushes and bottle brushes of various sizes for cleaning
Super fine paintbrushes
Milliput
Rit Dyemore
Whitening toothpaste
Hair bands
Metal fine-tooth dog comb
Liquid eyeliner (sometimes I use it as a guide to paint over; sometimes it's easier to use the muscle memory from doing my own dramatic eye makeup for decades with a tool I'm familiar with...my hand shakes more with a paintbrush)
Contact paper for making stencils
Small barrel curling iron for battling frizz

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »
I have in my custom supply (also some other doll custom stuff here too) list:
-Nylon hair! So much hair! And a bit of tinsel.
-apoxie sculpt and the required tools
-acrylic paints and paint brushes
-derwent watercolour pencils
-mr.super clear UV cut flat sealant.
-n95 respirator mask (MSC is toxic, and I want to keep my lungs thanks)
-zip ties! I use these to secure new tails in restored/custom ponies, since they can’t rust like the washers do.
-glue, both regular white glue and super glue
-toothbrush (for scrubbing any dirt)
-fabric/sewing supplies (I’m not the best at it, but I’m hoping to get better)
-bits and bobs of random things. Head, torso, shoes, whatever random scraps I could maybe use in the future.
-tinfoil. When I make modifications, sometimes I like to bulk out the shape with a ball of tinfoil. Sculpting medium is expensive and can be heavy, so any way I can cut down on weight and expenses is a good thing to me.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 04:48:58 AM »
I'm so cheeky and copy your list BlackCurtains (it's pretty complete) and will add/ remove a few things for me:

I try to start from the beginning and go into each branch I offer.

- Baits: G1 and G3 mostly but also some Takara fakies as well as some other bits and pieces. These include for sure the HQG1C ponies too.
- Instruments: various needle nose pliers, tweezers, artery clamps, Cutter, Side cutters, etc.
- Chemicals: 100% Ethanol and Acetone (for cleaning), Hydrogen peroxide (for sun fading)
- Cleaning materials: Ear swaps and Cotton pads, old hand and teeth brushes, Magic erasers
- Hair! Nylon for 90% as well as multiple spools of tinsel (Sulky Sliver Metallic / Holographic brand from Gütermann), 10% original pony hair (mostly tails) for restorations only
- Rehairing materials: Rehairing tool from Pop-Girl (former member here),  rerooting needles (Prym brand), old metal washes of all types of countries (for restoration purposes), cable ties,
- Glues! A cheap one for securing hair in the mane as well as a special brand for glueing back heads on the body
- Cosmetic goods: flat iron (Udo Waltz by Beurer), regular shampoo (Japanese hotel showering gel is preferred as it really cleans the hair), conditioner (Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moisture), Japanese hotel brush for wet hair
- Styling materials: Foam rollers, round wood sticks, hair crabs, rubber hair bands, various ribbons

Dyeing

- Dyeing powders and liquids: RitDye (powder) and RitDye More (liquid), Dylon Dye, IDye Poly

Painting and Airbrushing

- Paints:! Acrylics (Model Color from Vallejo) for brush painting as well as Createx (different color types) for airbrushing, Star Dust paints (Vallejo) for color-shifting effects via airbrush and Alclad Chrome paint as base for achieving metal like finishes
- Airbrushing materials: Compressor, 2in1 Evolution airbrush gun from Haarder&Steenbeck, Extraction System for excessive paint dusts, 2 - 5 ml Eppendorf tubes with caps (perfect for mixing and storing paint mixes), Eppendorf-like pipette for airbrush cleaning or picking up small color amounts from my mixing palette,   
- Powdered Pigments: Various brands for mixing into transparent varnishes and use as metall or color-shifting finishes
- Varnishes: UV resistant ones from Deco Art (Americana DuraClear Ultra matte and glossy)
- Masking Materials: Washi Tape as well as Liquid Masking Film (Vallejo)
- Paint brushes: Different brands, shapes etc., brush cleaner (The Masters brand) and brush conserver (can't find the brand currently)

Sculpting

- Sculpting Clays: Apoxie Sculpt (Aves Studio) as well as Fimo (to achieve different effects like glow in the dark, etc.), Fuwa Fuwa Clay (brand from Japan) which is ultralight i.e. for feathers
- Sculpting Materials: Floral wire, wire mesh and aluminum foil

General materials

- Glitter: Tons of it in all shades you can think of
- Bits and bobs from jewelry, Charms, Chains
- Beads and crystals
- Fabrics and faux furs.
- LED lights

I think that's it for them moment  :blush:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 09:35:08 AM »
Panda, the info about your airbrush is interesting! I have whatever came with my Paache, three sizes of needle, a couple of paint jars and the friction paint cup. I've always wanted to get more jars for premixed paint.

Powder pigments are also something I've always wanted to try.

Your list makes me remember some things I forgot to add.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 12:51:57 PM »
Perm curlers
Mini rubber bands
Forceps
Magic eraser
Comb
Hair shampoo
Hair conditioner
Toothpaste
Kettle
Baby Oil
Nail file
Q tips
Clean face cloths
Eyeliner brush
Acrylic paints
Testor's Dullcoat
Kitchen paper
Acid free tissue paper
Kid's toothbrush
Super bulky acrylic yarn
Teaspoon with a flat handle
Re-hairing tool
Plastizap for repairs
PVA glue for re-hairing and heads
Hmmm... I think that's about it

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 12:57:27 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 02:31:55 AM »
Panda, the info about your airbrush is interesting! I have whatever came with my Paache, three sizes of needle, a couple of paint jars and the friction paint cup. I've always wanted to get more jars for premixed paint.

Powder pigments are also something I've always wanted to try.

Your list makes me remember some things I forgot to add.

Yes I pretty much adapted my hobby supplies with the experiences from my work life. These Eppendorf Tubes I used in a lab, are just so easy to use and paint gets stored for such a long time. If you cover the lids even with so called Parafilm they will last even longer.

Powder pigments are great for metallic symbols (I use PearlEx from Jacard) but I discovered recently color-shifting pigments (Chameleon from Let's Resin) that I haven't used yet.

In case you ever need something that I can get easier in Germany feel free to send a PM and maybe you can get something for me from the US?

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 06:06:46 PM »
It is interesting reading through everyone's lists, some items I've tried, others I have not...but now I'm thinking of giving them a shot.

I think my list will be pretty basic...there might be other things I use occasionally but these are my usual go-tos:
Acrylic paints: Vallejo and sometimes Apple Barrel or Golden (Golden metallics are great!)
Paintbrushes: I use cheap generic ones for full body repaints, and nicer ones from hobby shops for tiny detail work.
Sculpting: either ApoxieSculpt or Sculpey II currently.  Have used Milliput in the past.
Hair: I have used hair from various suppliers, I don't really have one I use all the time.  I do try to stick with nylon, though.
Rehair tool: I made on out of an old Xacto knife handle, and I make various sized needles as needed.
Hair attachment: I use Aleene's clear glue for manes and clear nylon zip ties for tails.
Sealant: Vallejo matte polyurethane sealant, Games Workshop shiny acrylic sealant for eyes.
Styling: plastic straws, bobby pins, paper towels, foam perm curlers, comb.
Other: microglitter for symbols if needed, fabric for accessories, etc.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Seespotbitejane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 11:56:58 PM »
Krylon Matte Sealant (or Mr. Super Clear if I'm feeling fancy) ETA: also RESPIRATOR! These sealants are no joke, use PPE
Myungo chalk pastels
Pearl Ex pigment powders
Makeup brushes
Solar Res UV Resin
Diamond Glaze
The cheapest hot glue gun that gets incredibly, dangerously hot
The cheapest hair straightener
Metal knitting needle
Pony brush from specifically Rain or Shine Gardening Starswirl
Acrylic paints of all brands from very cheap to Golden
Gouache
Various bits of wire
Sculpey, CosClay, Apoxy, Worbla
Big bag of old pony hair
Wool
Assorted Felting supplies
So much Matte Mod Podge
Woolite (synthetic)
Oxy Clean
Needle nosed pliers
Various jewelry making supplies
Ribbon and beads
Random garbage I thought might be useful for an art project
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 02:34:09 PM by Seespotbitejane »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 05:58:17 AM »
Yes I pretty much adapted my hobby supplies with the experiences from my work life. These Eppendorf Tubes I used in a lab, are just so easy to use and paint gets stored for such a long time. If you cover the lids even with so called Parafilm they will last even longer.

Powder pigments are great for metallic symbols (I use PearlEx from Jacard) but I discovered recently color-shifting pigments (Chameleon from Let's Resin) that I haven't used yet.

In case you ever need something that I can get easier in Germany feel free to send a PM and maybe you can get something for me from the US?

Thanks for the brand names :) And yes, of course! Maybe we could do a little supply swap even.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 08:27:47 AM »
Can I just say how grateful I am that your initial list is so long? I always feel like 'oh, customizing only needs a few tools!' then over the years I keep adding more... and more... and more... :lmao:

It's not everything I use EVERY time, though! Like, my VERY BASICS are:

A pony base! (Can be any pony in need of a polish!)
Thin wire (the gauge varies, and tbh I started using floral wire and I vastly prefer it to jewelry!)
Needlenose pliers; mine are extra-long, but occasionally I'll need the standard pair.
Clay sculpting tools - specifically, the tool that looks like a big needle. (To widen the hair holes!)
Scissors (I use nail scissors to shave the old hair off very close to the scalp, and a larger pair to help trim the wire!)
Hair (Shimmerlocks has a fab color selection, I also have a bit of a mini-hoard from almost every hair supplier LOL! DHEmporium in the UK, TheDollPlanet, The Dollyverse on Etsy, Dolltress!)
Paint and paint brushes (typically the cheap craft acrylic stuff, but I've been branching out into mini paint - UGH so pricey but so worth it!)
Sealant - altho tbh, acrylic is pretty sturdy on its own, as long as it's not getting handled a lot! Some of my ponies never get sealed. :blush:
Zipties (for talis!)
Glue (I used to melt the ends of my pony hair, but it's much easier/faster to just knot the hair, but then it needs some glue finishing to make me feel super secure in brushing it!)

And then like, other stuff is like ... just fun to add on. I grab a lot of stuff, like a magpie, and throw whatever I like at any given pony, but for starters my current shiny-things-hoard consists of:

GLITTER
Jewelry bits! (jump rings = earrings! Findings, charms, mini chain, all wonderful!)
Flat-back gems, all sizes! (I pick them up randomly as I find them, ha! Some of them are "stickers" but I just peel the sticky bit off)
Buttons! (I covered my toy train in Christmas buttons!)
Stickers/washi tape (I use it as mini masking tape sometimes!)
Water-slide decals/tattoos! (I haven't used them yet, but I have some in mind!)
Hair tinsel (duh, for fun!)
Dye (Rit Dyemore, it's super fun!)
Ribbon/lace
Tassels (I haven't used these yet - but I MIGHT!) 
Craft moss
Silk/paper flowers
Various miniatures
Different hair types (mohair, alpaca)
Yarn (for hair!)
Felt (to make lil clothes? One time I used it to make a fancy saddle!)
Super-fancy miniature paint brushes (I don't think this is a 'necessity' but GOSH does it make customizing so much easier and less stressful!)
Elastic (girl, I've used it on one pony so far, we'll see what happens with her LOL)
Leather strips (used to make a satchel)
Beads (I know I said jewelry, but I also collect various like, little plastic beads! Like pony beads, but especially any in fun shapes or colors!)
Feathers (you never know when you'll need a dramatic feather moment!)
Clay (less often, but still useful!)
Apoxie sculpt (I haven't used it yet, BUT I'm excited to experiment!)
Air-dry faux frosting clay
Nail deco bits (to put in the frosting clay, a la decoden!)

And then the less-fun stuff, but which helps make ponies easier/faster to finish and polish -

Hair curlers
Crochet hook (sometimes you gotta pull a tail through, y'know? This little tool is surprisingly useful!)
Qtips, cotton balls/pads, acetone (for fixing my mistakes, LOL)
Paper towels (wrap the wet hair with this, it makes it neater when you unwrap it!)
Mini ziplocks (to put the leftover hair into; I also section out the cut vs uncut hair, so later if I need more I know what I have left!)
Pipe cleaners (helps with a lot of stuff, especially pulling tails through the body without breaking)
Mini lobster hair clips (I just steal the ones I use for my own hair, it helps to keep the hair out of the way when I'm painting, since I usually rehair THEN paint)

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but off the top of my head, this is all of the stuff I currently hoard - I mean, 'collect' for my crafting purposes! :lmao: I love that we all have these ungainly lists!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:30:32 AM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal