collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! Shipping from and within the EU  (Read 1424 times)

Offline SkylarkDiamond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Help! Shipping from and within the EU
« on: March 01, 2022, 05:45:53 PM »
I’m thinking about selling my entire collection since I’m no longer collecting actively and would like to offer the rarer nirvanas to international buyers as well. I live in Sweden which forms part of the EU. But I just looked up how international tracked shipping works nowadays and got so overwhelmed…  I haven’t been buying/selling ponies for more than 15 years and a lot seems to have change since… Back in the days I just had to walk into my local post office, weigh the parcel and add an adhesive green form on which I informed about its contents and ticked a box saying it was a “gift”. I then paid, got a tracking number/receipt and that was it. I never had a problem with shipping as a seller nor as a buyer and the shipping was always fast.

As it appears now you have to choose from a million of different companies and their various shipping options. You also must enclose safety declarations, special customs documents and customs EDI with your shipment. And different countries have different rules, even within the EU.. If the item’s value is higher than a certain amount (like Nirvana ponies usually are expensive) you need extra insurance. It also appears that you have to prepare everything digitally at home by yourself like weighing, printing and writing the documents etc.

So am I exaggerating this? Maybe it isn’t as complicated as I think and I’m just being old and grumpy about it? Is there some sort of guide for newbies on this lol? Would really appreciate if someone could describe the basics regarding tracked shipment from (and within) the EU to overseas. Like what companies you prefer, what I should keep in mind filling in the customs documents, insurance  etc. Thank you!!!!  :)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Help! Shipping from and within the EU
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:52:59 AM »
I believe you will need advice from someone in Sweden, but as far as I know it isn't quite as complicated as that. Then again, I only ship stuff via the postal company and haven't tried any of the other services like DHL.

Goods can still travel rather freely within the EU (no declarations needed or anything) so the main thing here is simply to make sure that you choose a method with tracking, and perhaps buy insurance for Nirvanas and other expensive ponies.

I mostly ship inexpensive or zero value stuff, but I hope this helps. For any mail going outside the EU, I will need to fill in a customs declaration (the adhesive green form you mentioned, we still have those as well as the option to do it online and print out) AND in addition to the form I will need to register the contents online (= basically enter the exact same information I write on the form). Check with your shipping company whether you'll need a CN22 or CN23 form (it depends on the value and weight of the parcel). If you are selling, the important thing is to be honest when you fill in the information - do not mark it as a gift if it isn't, and enter the exact amount the buyer paid for the item. This is for you and your buyer's protection. Unfortunately, for any expensive ponies it will likely mean huge import fees for the buyer, but that's how international trade is... I personally - as a buyer - try to avoid the hassle and buy from the EU these days if I can. But if it's something I absolutely must have, and cannot get "locally", I will consider going through the trouble and paying the fees... In any case it's good to discuss these things with your buyers beforehand and remind them about the fees. I've never bought extra insurance so I'm not sure how that works.

I hope someone who actually knows about shipping to/from Sweden can give you more accurate information! Good luck with your sales :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 08:30:22 AM »
I think Leikin might be a good person to ask about this kind of thing, geographically speaking, but your national postal service website may give you a calculator to work out rough costs to different places. You'll probably need weights for the ponies you want to sell, though, and how you want to sell them (individual/set/etc).

UK isn't in the EU any more and frankly I haven't updated myself on shipping stuff since then because of covid happening so I can't be more helpful than that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 06:18:57 AM »
If you're overwhelmed you can always let your buyers figure stuff out. When I sell things I always add a little text that says: "Choose your own method of shipment within my country and pick your best price".
After all we are living in the age of information literally at our fingertips. Shipping info is a few clicks away. If I was buying from you I'd already give you my preferred shipping choices because it just saves so much time.
Box dimensions, tracking yes or no, approx. weight. It shouldn't be too hard for a potential buyer to give you their countries rules on imports as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal