collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paint questions from a total customizing newbie  (Read 662 times)

Offline horseytown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Paint questions from a total customizing newbie
« on: February 21, 2022, 01:43:24 PM »
Hey there! I've been really interested in customizing G1s for a while, but I don't actually have any experience doing it yet. I was wondering what techniques people use to get their symbols and eyes looking as clean, flat, and accurate to the originals as possible? I'm an artist and I've worked with acrylic paints many times before, but I've never used it on a toy. Acrylic has a tendency to be rather clumpy and dries with an unpleasant texture, and I don't want my customs to feel like that! Do you use Liquitex, pouring medium, paint thinners, sealers? Give me your secrets!!
🌼 I love all these little horses! 🌼🌼 follow me on deviantart @horseytown! 🌼

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Paint questions from a total customizing newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 02:06:58 PM »
The trick is to water down the paint to the consistency of whole milk, where it will just cling to the brush but still drip off. Use lots of layers. Use teeny tiny brushes for symbols and especially eyes. Eyes are very hard for newbies and experts alike. You can brace your elbow on a surface, put your free fingers on the pony and hold your breath as you paint the lines for the eyes. It takes practice. Some people have good luck with full body repaints using make-up sponges. Others invest in an airbrush. But you can create nice smooth full bodies with a brush too.

As far as paint, some people use more expensive ones like Golden or Vallejo but lots of people, myself included, use cheaper ones like Apple Barrel or Folk Art. I find Folk Art has the best white.

I have heard of using paint thinner as oppose to water when thinning paint down, but I don't know about it personally.

As for sealers never ever use Mod Podge. Some older tutorials and how-to's on customizing will recommend it, but in the long run, it's awful. Liquitex has a good brush on sealer and Testor's Dullcote is a spray can and is excellent. I've heard good thing about Mr. Super Clear too, but never used it. There is also the option of not sealing, which I prefer these days.

Best advice? Get a fakie to practice on before you use a real MLP.

I hope this helps :) Welcome to the world of pony customs  ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline horseytown

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 02:38:14 PM »
The trick is to water down the paint to the consistency of whole milk, where it will just cling to the brush but still drip off. Use lots of layers. Use teeny tiny brushes for symbols and especially eyes. Eyes are very hard for newbies and experts alike. You can brace your elbow on a surface, put your free fingers on the pony and hold your breath as you paint the lines for the eyes. It takes practice. Some people have good luck with full body repaints using make-up sponges. Others invest in an airbrush. But you can create nice smooth full bodies with a brush too.

As far as paint, some people use more expensive ones like Golden or Vallejo but lots of people, myself included, use cheaper ones like Apple Barrel or Folk Art. I find Folk Art has the best white.

I have heard of using paint thinner as oppose to water when thinning paint down, but I don't know about it personally.

As for sealers never ever use Mod Podge. Some older tutorials and how-to's on customizing will recommend it, but in the long run, it's awful. Liquitex has a good brush on sealer and Testor's Dullcote is a spray can and is excellent. I've heard good thing about Mr. Super Clear too, but never used it. There is also the option of not sealing, which I prefer these days.

Best advice? Get a fakie to practice on before you use a real MLP.

I hope this helps :) Welcome to the world of pony customs  ^.^

This is so much valuable information, thank you so much!! I will absolutely be coming back to this when I take my first few baby steps into customs!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 04:21:37 PM »
I second pretty much every thing BC said, and can confirm - don't use Mod Podge as a sealant.

Also make sure your paint is really really dry before applying sealant.  I live in an area that gets humid in the summer and it can be an issue.

I usually use Vallejo paint and sealant.  But sometimes I use Folk Art/Apple Barrel type paints.  :bigups: 

Good luck with your customizing!

Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 03:36:44 AM »
On top of the acrylic paint, you can use chalk pastels, watercolor pencils and/or gouache paint for more subtle details such as irises, eyelashes, thin symbols, highlights blush, gradients etc.. I found that chalk pastels add the very faint color variation that can bring a custom pony to life.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 03:38:21 AM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline horseytown

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 03:47:43 AM »
On top of the acrylic paint, you can use chalk pastels, watercolor pencils and/or gouache paint for more subtle details such as irises, eyelashes, thin symbols, highlights blush, gradients etc.. I found that chalk pastels add the very faint color variation that can bring a custom pony to life.

Oooh, I have lots of gouache colors so that's good to know!! Would it be a good idea to use gouache on the whole pony or should I stick to acrylic for the majority of the project?

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 04:49:25 AM »
No, no, don't use gouache for full bodies or large portions. The paint won't stick. Look at the cute mess I made when I started off. She used to be fully gouache painted.  :P

She got better with acrylic paint, chalk pastels and watercolor pencils.  ^.^

-> Made by Starrynights

Offline horseytown

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 06:50:55 AM »
No, no, don't use gouache for full bodies or large portions. The paint won't stick. Look at the cute mess I made when I started off. She used to be fully gouache painted.  :P

She got better with acrylic paint, chalk pastels and watercolor pencils.  ^.^

Ooohh, she looks absolutely lovely with the acrylic paint!! Thank you so much for the advice, I appreciate it so much!

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 07:19:48 AM »
You're welcome !  ^.^ Don't forget that multiple thin layers of watered down acrylic paint will look better in the long run than a couple of thick globby coats.
You may also use a couple of thin coats of Gesso as a base layer, but it's optional. It helps getting the paint to stick to the pony and helps building up color better because it's white. You'd need less coats of paint over a colored pony if you have a base layer of Gesso.
You may also carefully sand off brush strokes if they're too visible, using a fine grit sandpaper, or nail file, something like that.

Most imoprtant of all : have fun ! ^^
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 10:42:19 AM »
You have a lot of good advice so far. :)

I personally decided to get an airbrush because it makes gradients easier and helps me to achieve that completely flat look. I also use a spray matte varnish to minimize brushstrokes. Make sure to check your humidity before using it; if it's too humid, it may become tacky!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 06:42:36 PM »
Definitely dilute your paint! In my experience, it works best if you have it at a milky consistency. It'll take a good few layers and a good many hours, but the results will be well worth it.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal