collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro lost Disney Princess...  (Read 980 times)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Hasbro lost Disney Princess...
« on: January 29, 2022, 07:49:06 AM »
I got into stock trading this month, and wednesday saw a big surge in Mattel stock. I wondered why, and went snooping for the scoop. Apparently, Disney Princess and Frozen will return to Mattel.

Very curious to see what new things Hasbro will focus on to fill the hole that will be left. Maybe more creativity into MLP?

What do you think about the news? I was a little stunned; nothing indicated that Hasbro was going to lose the license.

For those interested, here's the NY Post article: https://nypost.com/2022/01/26/mattel-grabs-rights-to-disney-princess-frozen-from-hasbro/

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Hasbro lost Disney Princess...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »
From what I've seen, it sounds like Hasbro got the license at a bad time. This news article says that the brand likely didn't perform to expectations under Hasbro, and while Hasbro isn't the greatest with girls brands right now, I think they had it at a bad time. There weren't really many new princess movies coming out compared to the early 2010's. We had Moana, sure, and Frozen, but they didn't have Frozen when it first came out, or Tangled.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 10:01:39 AM »
Still, they had it for 7 years; that's an entire generation. And the Disney Princess line is evergreen, like your article states.

I was surprised to see the inferior quality and uncanny facial design being mentioned. I've felt that way from the very first dolls Hasbro introduced, and it never really turned around. They geared the brand towards younger kids, turning off the more adult collectors I guess.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones (really...?) don't quite seem the kind of brands that can generate the same level of sales IMO. Didn't Star Wars toy sales tank massively since the saga's continuation under Disney? Apart from the collector toys of course.

Good times ahead for Mattel! Monster High coming back, then disney princess in 2023.

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 10:24:10 AM »
I heard about this from a friend.  Something has always seemed a little off to me about the Hasbro Disney dolls.  I'm pretty sure I don't own a Disney doll made by Hasbro but I have many Mattel made ones. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 04:26:07 PM »
TBH, I think Mattel generally do better with dolls. Jem aside. And since Hasbro used the disney face concept a bit on MLP...I wonder how that will go.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Toilandtrouble123

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Hubble bubble, Toil and trouble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 04:39:19 AM »
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Hasbro released every g1 set as part of the anniversary releases! Imagine being able to get hold of rapunzel once again!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 12:59:51 AM »
I was surprised to see the inferior quality and uncanny facial design being mentioned. I've felt that way from the very first dolls Hasbro introduced, and it never really turned around. They geared the brand towards younger kids, turning off the more adult collectors I guess.

I find it funny that they said that because there were lots of complaints about Mattel's quality before they lost the license. Hopefully they learned but I do kinda suspect Disney doesn't want the regular retail dolls to do too good because that would hurt the sales of their own Shop Disney dolls.

I heard about this from a friend.  Something has always seemed a little off to me about the Hasbro Disney dolls.  I'm pretty sure I don't own a Disney doll made by Hasbro but I have many Mattel made ones. 

Honestly I don't think I have any Hasbro DP fashion dolls either. Hasbro's strongest point is figures (even with Equestria Girls the Minis were a lot better than the actual dolls) and I did like and have some of the different DP mini figures they made. I actually liked them better than Mattel's which were basically just Fashion Polly but with Princesses.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »
I don't own a lot of princess dolls but the two I have are Disney brand. I actually don't understand why Disney wants another company to make their dolls unless it's about Mattel's and Hasbro's deals with retailers?

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 01:41:52 AM »
I actually don't understand why Disney wants another company to make their dolls unless it's about Mattel's and Hasbro's deals with retailers?

I always got the sense that Disney shifted from Mattel to Hasbro not so much because of what Hasbro could do with the IP but rather to teach Mattel "a lesson". There was the whole Ever After High rumour after all. A power play, if you will. Maybe Mattel has now turned around and Disney feels confident to return the IP to Mattel.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 05:25:40 PM »
Meanwhile I'm wondering what Hasbro is going to do to fill the space vacated by Disney Princess. They have no other current fashion doll line, just baby dolls.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal