collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

I have this many Pony's in my Collection...

Up to 100
18 (45%)
101 to 500
10 (25%)
501 to 1,000
8 (20%)
1,001 to 1,500
4 (10%)
1,501 to 2,000
0 (0%)
I got near 3,000
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: When Collecting...  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
When Collecting...
« on: January 24, 2022, 11:45:02 AM »
Hi Everyone!
I'm editing my excel file to match my MLP Collection... out of curiosity when collecting do we count the accessories or do they go to the side... I hear people say how many ponies they have but not how many accessories they have.... so if you where to count your collection what do you count and does humanoids Equestria girls count?
At this time my excel counts the Number of Ponies and not the accessories or play sets but that will change soon.
I have 1,097 in Total and they are all different and not doubled. they each have a variation that makes them different from one another. such as the Fluttershy Army are all different ponies not the same one from the same play set or box. I collect 80's through today's G5 ponies.
So for me I will add shoes as 4 accessories in at the end in my total (i'm missing 2 snow shoes from one of the 80's accessores that is the reason why I say they should count as 4 not as 1) what do you think.
Of course Basic Fun, Funko & Pop ponies count in the collection but i'm still going back and forth on Humanoids so I have them counted in the main total but there are only 20 of them so I actually have 1,057 Ponies (If I did my math right)
so what do you all think Accessories count in the main total or Not. I think yes... but yet know how many ponies you have on the side.
my total is on top of the page but then it is broken down in to several parts like G1s Retros G2s and so on so forth.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: When Collecting...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:20:17 PM »
I would say that is totally up to you how you document them, it is your list!  What are you planning to do with your numerical totals?  What is the purpose of your spreadsheet? Answering those might help you figure out how you want to document ponies vs accessories vs dolls, etc.  And with excel's sorting functions you can probably come up with a way to quickly figure totals for each category you might choose to use. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:40:11 PM »
I would say that is totally up to you how you document them, it is your list!  What are you planning to do with your numerical totals?  What is the purpose of your spreadsheet? Answering those might help you figure out how you want to document ponies vs accessories vs dolls, etc.  And with excel's sorting functions you can probably come up with a way to quickly figure totals for each category you might choose to use. 

what if I was to say my little pony Memorabilia would that count Equestria girls or not..

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:07:13 PM »
In my word priocessing files, I will say if a Pony has her accessories or not, & if not (a) is by her name. I don't count the majority of brushes or combs (Rocking Beats & rare ones are the exception) because I don't collect them, however, things like wands, crowns, damsel hats, nappies, toys, toothpastes & so on I definitely count, especially if it adds to the Pony. For this reason my most wanted accessories are the two missing Seaside Baby Floats & Susie's pet dog.

Accessories which don't come with Ponies are listed in their own category, like the costumes, the carry cases & playmats, & the Pony buildings & playsets. Again, I don't note precise numbers, but do note if a set is complete or not
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 01:27:33 PM »
I Never labeled my G3 Combs so I guess they don't count.... but I don't know there are rare ponies & there combs can be rare like the boy ponies and the princess ponies and flutter ponies combs (The Christmas ponies comb would be nice to have one of these days)

Do people collect T-Shirts too I have 3 T-Shirts I used to hang on my wall... I still have them from Hot Topic. I also have 1 Pez container, 2 watches, one from Avon and the other an 80's pony watch. Books many collector books. keychains, ear rings & Cards so all that would that count as my memorabilia?

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 03:27:11 PM »
My accessories are not very well documented really, if I'm honest. I wouldn't count them alongside ponies, but I probably should note them with ponies more where they exist. My backcards have a separate excel sheet but not so much other things.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 03:43:32 PM »
i don't really keep track of accessories unless they are on the rarer side. maybe group them with their pony or track my accessory type. eg. 5 baby bottles, 6 G3 combs.

I also use an excel spreadsheet but haven't been keeping it up lately. i find tracking makes me want to buy more!
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »
152 and counting. Genuine accessories and others consist of combs, a few repro ribbons, 3 small playsets, and 3 non pony toys.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:35:44 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 05:23:18 PM »
I keep no lists of what's in my collection and refuse to have a solid number :P I don't want to know how many there are.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 05:38:45 PM »

what if I was to say my little pony Memorabilia would that count Equestria girls or not..
Memorabilia is a very broad term, it could probably include everything that is MLP brand.  Potentially even fan-made art?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 06:35:12 PM »
I keep no lists of what's in my collection and refuse to have a solid number :P I don't want to know how many there are.

:lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lowpolyzoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Star Catcher Appreciator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 06:38:56 PM »
I could probably move my things to a spreadsheet as a project but I keep track of my things with mlpmerch just because it's easy and allows me to ID a pony relatively quickly if I don't know them or can't find them.

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »

Memorabilia is a very broad term, it could probably include everything that is MLP brand.  Potentially even fan-made art?

I see your point... but I wouldn't count the fan made stuff.. or the equestria girls... ooohh maybe my customs wouldn't count either or would they?  :blink:

So when I think of fan made stuff I think of fan made jewelry or Keychains and/or drawings.

My Wahlburgers custom is made from the blank pony that hasbro made... so that has to count..... its a do it yourself pony... hmmm...

Offline honor_h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 10:59:21 AM »
I've only made a spreadsheet to count my ponies inc McDonald's toys, fakies and friends (i.e Spike) largely because I forget their names :blush:. I would put Equestria girls in that list as they are all figures even if they are different species.

If I was to count my accessories I would make a separate spreadsheet for them. If I did put them in with my pony list I would make a new column and put what they were in e.g pony, brush, hat etc and maybe another column to put in what pony/ponywear set/playset etc they belong to for ease of finding. As it is I would lsit my accessories as "a boxful" :biggrin:

It is your list for your use so do what you want with it  :)

Lovely Whizzer sig by Starscout
Fabulous avatar by Trinity

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »
I love all your idea's...
I just started to edit my excel file now!!!
So at the top
I have the main total
Then that total is broken down into groups (I'll Show pics later k) G1 G2 G3 G3.5 G4 G4.5 & finally G5
Then I have Retro
Equestria Girls (I'm now adding them into the main total at the top)
Mini Ponies
Build a Bear
& Finally
I added
Customs with all there individuals totals
So that's at the top of the page & I froze that in the excel file so as I scroll down it stays listed above.
As I scroll down I have Each pony listed starting with the very first (oldest) pony that I have.
Left to right first line
Name-Type-Generation-Date-Condition-$Investment-$Value-Photo-Note-Accessory-#ofAccessories
There were accessories made without Ponies such as the G1 Clothes

Those are at the bottom of G1 before G2 Starts After Playsets are listed...
So it is like
Name - Country jamboree
Type - Megan & pony
Gen - G1
Date- 1985
Condition-Great
$Investment - $.50
$Value - $5
Note - Fleemarket buy
#Accessories - 5 (the 5 is added to the total at the top as well)

I put a number behind the photo in the photo column to add up the Ponies.
I'll Show pics soon. I had an excel file made for Ponies but now I'm going through allll my accessories and adding them.

Photos of Spread Sheet

P.S I'm going to keep the poll open for a while I'm curious to see how big everyone's collection is.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:23:59 PM by Starflashbaby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal