collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you take vacations or day trips?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Do you take vacations or day trips?
« on: January 20, 2022, 07:04:56 AM »
I haven't been on a trip in like 20 years. My sister always wanted us to take a cruise to the Bahamas. It's cheap for Florida Residents. I'd be worried about leaving my cat though, and really that's the main reason I haven't gone anywhere. I've always had animals and no one I trust enough to look after them.

When I was a kid, our family would go on vacation quite a lot. Rarely to another state, we'd stay in Wisconsin and go to a place called The Dells. Lots to do there.

Now, I have actually been to both Canada and Mexico, but only driving through with my dad when he was an OTR (over-the-road) truck driver. And I've seen most of the US due to the same reason. Vegas blew my 14 year old mind :lol:

I've always wanted to visit Germany and Tanzania. I will probably never get to either, but it's nice to dream :)

How about you? What was your last trip or where would you like to go? Do you travel a lot?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Do you take vacations or day trips?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 08:48:14 AM »
Because of COVID, right now, neither. Before COVID, both, and as often as I could manage. When I was in London I was always out on the buses somewhere, or the trains, or whatever. Even just to local towns in the vicinity of where I was living in zone 5. I miss it so badly :/

In normal times, when I was working I'd try and take one or two proper trips a year if I could manage it. Sometimes to Europe, sometimes within the UK. When I moved back in Summer 2019 after my PhD, I was intending to go back to London regularly until I had a permanent job which was my intention...preferably around that area. But COVID has made me a prisoner and the last actual trip beyond the local town centre (which in itself is a rare thing now) was to Dudley with Dad to do some record searching in March 2020. My last away trip was to London in Jan 2020.

Before that, aside my 3 month fieldwork in Japan which was my most major ever trip, I'd been to France (multiple times), Belgium, Portugal, Austria, Slovakia, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Italy (plus Vatican city), Czech Republic, also Israel for a conference as well. Within the UK I'd been to Scotland twice and Wales lots of times, as well as all over England. Which may not seem impressive but when you can't navigate beyond the end of your street, it is impressive.

...I want to return to that life but don't want to put my family at risk. And so here we are. I hate being a prisoner of our government's careless rules :(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:27:41 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 09:37:17 AM »
The furthest I've been within the past few years is Helen, GA. Both COVID and my agoraphobia have gotten in the way of me traveling. When I was a kid, though, I would go on vacation every year, usually to either Florida or south Georgia (mostly Savannah or St. Simons). In high school, I went on a few cruises, and they were great! Twice, I went to the Bahamas, and once, I went to Mexico. While in Mexico, I got to see the Chichen Itza Mayan ruins. It was an incredible sight. I've never been to Europe, but I would love to see Germany some day.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Online tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:18:20 AM »
My family always does a summer trip of some sort. We go to either the Outer Banks in North Carolina or WDW. We're going to OBX this year, we went even in 2020 because we rent a house and the beach is fairly quiet.

Occasionally we will stop somewhere in Virginia on the way down. We've stayed in Williamsburg and Chincoteague. I've also headed up to Connecticut to visit my partner.

Day trips are usually somewhere in the center of PA for antiquing or to explore a town. We don't do those as much as we used to.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 01:21:18 PM »
Not for a long time.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 05:56:30 PM »
I haven't been able to travel for a while but i'm hoping to travel more after covid calms down. I hate flying and driving so traveling is difficult but there are so many places i want to visit.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 08:58:10 PM »
Literally the only three times I've even taken a bus since Covid were my three jabs. Yep, I made a day of all three & finished off with the jab each day. Before that I was a recluse for a couple of years, but I used to take a few weekend trips to other places. I went camping a few times with a pal, & when I went to parties, they were often in different countries, so I've been to the Netherlands a bunch of times, & italy at least three times (all the north).

I love travelling, as it gets me away from this small, everybody-sticks-their-nose-in, place. I like the anonymity of being in a new place, & once I'm past a certain threshold on my journey, I'm as anonymous as it gets, & people have to take me at face value. When Covid is over, I intend to travel again, at least locally
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 09:34:27 AM »
I haven't been on a vacation in like forever. I've gone places for other reasons, like this summer, if COVID doesn't cancel it, I plan to go to the International Double Reed Society convention in Colorado.

But I haven't been somewhere just to visit it in a very long time. Perhaps even back to when I was a teenager. But perhaps the above counts as a vacation, IDK.

My parents go on vacations, but they're always to boring places like Texas, Arkansas, within Oklahoma, etc. Also, they're camping trips, and I don't camp. Nuh uh. Nope. Never. (especially not during the Spring and Summer when they camp, where it is always hot and insect infected. Ew) So I've never tagged along.

|My Collection|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 10:05:27 AM »
Covid has affected me so little, I honestly wasn't thinking about it when I started this thread. Well, plus it didn't stop tourists from coming to Florida. There are probably less than usual but you still see plenty of out-of-state plates when driving around.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 05:01:11 PM »
I don't really like to travel, especially when it is for more than a single day. I hate sleeping in a different bed, being around people I don't know, spending time in places I am not familiar with... Whenever I have some time off I just prefer to spend it at home, especially that there are lots of interesting places for hiking in my general area (at least to me), that's all the traveling I need.
Inka Dinka Doo

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 11:44:11 PM »
I've bounced between the islands for the past couple of years but I am ITCHING do travel.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 07:52:43 AM »
we have a place we go in Mexico...  except hello CORONA and this said place is right next door to where the gang shooting just happened and killed 3 people.  Like I have pictures of where you hop on the lazy river taxi and float a mile or two and there it is.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH  I don't think I can pack Kevlar on a beach vacation!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 10:56:30 AM »
Not lately because of Covid, but I used to always go to a kind of reunion out of state every summer.  Other than that I would occasionally do weekend get-away type trips, like to visit a friend out of state, or go to a TF convention or something.  Maybe every few years I will do a bigger trip.  But I'm trying to avoid flying as much as I can.  I love to take the train!  I missed a fun cross-country train trip last year because of Covid :(  Actually I did go on a week-long canoe camping trip this past year despite Covid, because it was all outdoors!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 11:49:24 AM »
I’ve done both but mostly days /weekends away for conventions and things and I’ve never been out of the UK but I’m ok with that I guess you don’t miss what you’ve never had 😄

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 12:38:02 PM »
Oh yess lots of traveling both day trips and vacations. I grew up in a blue collar life setting my mom is disabled and I'm disabled too... so basicly not a rich family but we get by just enough to make it comfortable. Back when my dad was alive he stayed at his job until he retired there earning him lots of vacation time for the family. We went everywhere. We didn't go to Mexico or on cruises to the Bahamas. But we did pull a camper where ever we went including through Canada to New York the state not the city... to go see Niagara Falls.
We did tours and museums all the time. Florida was not so much fun for me cause I thought it was too hot when I was younger like 10 or 8 yrs old, we went to Disney World a couple of times, (But when I went there in my 20s with my granny and grandpa to see my cousin Gina it was beautiful in the winter time)
My dad passed away in 2013, things changed we still live in Wisconsin but there are more day trips now and we don't pull the camper anymore although my brother was doing pretty well pulling the camper... (my dad was a truck driver and taught him well before passing away)
We go to Iowa to the dog track for a day trip, that's always on memorial day weekend. My last big trip was with my mom and my sister last summer we took an airplane and went to Alaska (My cousin Gina lives there now)
Where I'd like to go next is Alaska again... I loved St. Simon's Island in Georgia too. 

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal