collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your MLP luckiest shopping experiences  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Ponyrama_95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Your MLP luckiest shopping experiences
« on: January 11, 2022, 07:28:02 AM »
Have you ever won a MLP auction on Ebay with very little money? Or what was your most precious find at the flea markets?
Mine was finding the Italian variant of G1 Bow Tie with coral hair (my favorite one) NMC for 15 euros.

Tell your luckiest moments in MLP research! And if you have photos, post them!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Your MLP luckiest shopping experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:36:40 AM »
I won G2 Hip Holly on eBay for 13 dollars and change. Her price was very high at that time, I don't know what it is now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 08:42:08 AM »
The weekend the other local collector who lived in this area sold up their collection.

It was summer 1998.

We're talking around 600 ponies in total, probably, which were sold on and off over several weeks at the carboot sale. Plus boxes of accessories, ponywear, etc. Some MIP as well.

I don't know how many ponies Naynie and I obtained from there, but I do remember that we got a bunch on the day at the carboot sale, then went over to their home after to buy more...then ended up finding others over the next few weeks.

Some of the highlights - Sand Dollar and Night Glider (not sold in the UK). Baby Gusty. All 3 jewellery babies. 3 or 4 Macau ponies, several Italian ponies, 5/6 windy wing ponies...

Plus we picked up duplicates of a lot of European release ponies from them which we traded for ponies overseas. All the mountain boys, and a whole lot of others. In those days UK ponies were especially sought after and expensive, so thanks to that haul we filled in a lot of our mail order pony gaps.

Ponies were £1 or 50p each.  I remember also a whole plastic tub of accessories for £10 which contained most ponywear, all 6 dragons, wands, hats for princesses, most hats and bandanas for big brothers, brushes and combs, newborn twin accessories and other bits and pieces.

In terms of trading, the best trade we ever did was with our first trade partner, who remains a beloved memory to us all since she and her family were lovely. They came over in Spring 1998 and brought a bunch of ponies. I think we traded about 98 ponies in total each - we'd been hoarding them from the carboot till their visit and that was the first time my sister and I saw ponies like Medley or Powder or FLutterbye. We'd never even seen photos since pics online were mostly just insert art. It was a magical day and the trade partner even got to visit the carboot sale and take home some extra mountain boys from it xD.

In terms of one individual purpose, obviously that's going to be Susie, at $21ish, given she's the only one known to exist :) That would probably have been around 1999 or 2000.

I did do a trade for a yellow minty back before we knew anything about these, I was told it was a fakie and she didn't want it, she wanted a regular Minty. So I agreed to send her one and she sent me her fakie. Which turned out to be an Italian yellow minty with magenta hair. The world before many pictures online was a bit of a wild west in terms of trades like that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 08:44:07 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyrama_95

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 09:02:54 AM »
The weekend the other local collector who lived in this area sold up their collection.

It was summer 1998.

We're talking around 600 ponies in total, probably, which were sold on and off over several weeks at the carboot sale. Plus boxes of accessories, ponywear, etc. Some MIP as well.

I don't know how many ponies Naynie and I obtained from there, but I do remember that we got a bunch on the day at the carboot sale, then went over to their home after to buy more...then ended up finding others over the next few weeks.

Some of the highlights - Sand Dollar and Night Glider (not sold in the UK). Baby Gusty. All 3 jewellery babies. 3 or 4 Macau ponies, several Italian ponies, 5/6 windy wing ponies...

Plus we picked up duplicates of a lot of European release ponies from them which we traded for ponies overseas. All the mountain boys, and a whole lot of others. In those days UK ponies were especially sought after and expensive, so thanks to that haul we filled in a lot of our mail order pony gaps.

Ponies were £1 or 50p each.  I remember also a whole plastic tub of accessories for £10 which contained most ponywear, all 6 dragons, wands, hats for princesses, most hats and bandanas for big brothers, brushes and combs, newborn twin accessories and other bits and pieces.

In terms of trading, the best trade we ever did was with our first trade partner, who remains a beloved memory to us all since she and her family were lovely. They came over in Spring 1998 and brought a bunch of ponies. I think we traded about 98 ponies in total each - we'd been hoarding them from the carboot till their visit and that was the first time my sister and I saw ponies like Medley or Powder or FLutterbye. We'd never even seen photos since pics online were mostly just insert art. It was a magical day and the trade partner even got to visit the carboot sale and take home some extra mountain boys from it xD.

In terms of one individual purpose, obviously that's going to be Susie, at $21ish, given she's the only one known to exist :) That would probably have been around 1999 or 2000.

I did do a trade for a yellow minty back before we knew anything about these, I was told it was a fakie and she didn't want it, she wanted a regular Minty. So I agreed to send her one and she sent me her fakie. Which turned out to be an Italian yellow minty with magenta hair. The world before many pictures online was a bit of a wild west in terms of trades like that.

What an incredible story! If I saw a box full of pony wears, dragons, hats, wands (all extremely hard to find in Italy), mountain boys and their accessories I think I would go crazy !!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 09:08:07 AM »
I remember trading a regular Surprise and Baby Surprise for "Italian Sunbeam", who turned out to have rainbow hair.  (This was before digital cameras or even scanners were common, so people just described their ponies in words.)

Also paid $50 for a lot that included mint in bag cartoon-eyes Spike, mint in bag Lucky, a mint in box Baby Bonnet School of Dance, and a load of mint ponies.

One time on eBay (also in the era where auctions without pictures were common), I bid and won a listing that was described only as "Mint On Card Love Letter Pony".  I was pretty sure I was going to be scammed (which was also common, lol--no Paypal!) because even a very common international pony cost $30 and up at the time.  But I had to roll the dice because how cool would it be to own a MOC Romance pony??   Well, when the pony arrived it wasn't Love Letter the Romance pony . . . it was this weird green pony with pink hair and a symbol of a letter with a kiss.  And she was on a MLP Tales card.  In other words, it was MOC Love-Pony, the Dutch pony. Not bad for $20!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:12:21 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 09:34:39 AM »
I had resigned myself to most likely never having any of the g1 playests (castle, estate, nursery, etc) because the sheer absurdity of shipping such an item, and the cost.
Then, next time I was at the antique shop, I found the lullaby nursery building. No furniture, a bit yellowed/sun damaged and some of the stickers were messed up, but it was there. I snapped that thing up and would not let it go, even when one of the store staff was like “we can put it in the front for you, to free up your hands.”
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:41:16 AM »
@LM those were the days.
I have a strong feeling maybe that pony now lives with me, actually xD.

@Ponyrama - yes :D The 1990s was a great time for pony finds but that was one in a million.

Sadly we did not take photos in those days.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline paradiserain

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
  • Unhealthily addicted to G3s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 10:58:10 AM »
So far my luckiest find has been getting a G3 Rainbow Treat for just $24 on eBay. I've been keeping an eye out for the EU-exclusive G3s for a long time and I finally got one for a really good price!

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 12:05:09 PM »
the cashier at a thrift store let me have Oakly for free  :biggrin:

I also found a dream beauty at a neighbor's yard sale for only  $1
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Shiverdam

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 12:58:07 PM »
the cashier at a thrift store let me have Oakly for free  :biggrin:

Bro I would cry.

I think probably my best finds have been blue hearts Dazzle Glow x2 and Bright Glow at thrift stores. I had no idea they were priced so highly until recently.
I've also been lucky enough to find a few so-softs in really good condition at thrift stores.

I guess this counts too: I got Ice Crystal off ebay for $100 over 10 years ago, and from what I've seen his price has about tripled since then. So, I suppose I was lucky to have gotten him when I did.

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 02:53:13 PM »
One of my best purchases was a BIN on ebay for $275 + $8 shipping.  I can’t remember everything that I got, but it had Ice Crystal, the entire uk/euro flower pony set, all three Colorswirls, the set of UK/euro Playtime babies, multiple other UK/Euro ponies(or UK/Euro versions), 5 MIB ponies(including a Baby Brother pony and the entire USA Apple Delight family, and I think one or two UK/Euro babies), a MIB original 80s Halloween mask/smock costume, about 50-70 loose common ponies, and about a dozen MIP Totsy outfits. The seller sent it Priority mail for only $8.  She taped multiple Priority boxes together into one 4 foot column of ponies.  I’m sure she lost money on shipping, even at 1999-2000 prices.  Even back then, that was an absolute steal at $275. 

I also got a High Flying Beauty Glider for 50 cents at a thrift store.  Absolutely lovely condition. Completely intact, barely any paint damage, even pink hair!

I also got a *mint* TAF Yum Yum at a collectible toy store for $6. She was just fell off the card mint - perfectly white, bubblegum pink hair - the works!  I found a mint porcelain  “Magical Kingdom”(the castle one) for $25 at the same toy store a few years later.

I found a Glow ‘n Show Starglow for $7 at an antique mall a few years ago too.

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 03:29:50 PM »
Years and years ago, a lot from craigslist that had about 30 G1s, Dream Castle, the Sweet Shoppe, and the Perm Shoppe for $50.
Nearly complete collection of Petites at the flea market for $30.
Rapunzel in the 2016 MLP Fair raffle for the price of one $5 ticket.
Licensing Show Pinkie Pie a couple of summers ago on eBay for $25.
Diamond Dreams for participating in a drawing contest in the 2008 MLP Fair.
Most recently, years two and three sea ponies nearly complete with shells, So Soft Angel, and many other things in a Facebook lot for $240.
Not MLP, but a complete first set of Fairy Tails with accessories at an estate sale for $10.
A really yellowed Dream Beauty Skysplasher in a Facebook Marketplace lot of horses for $5 total. She turned out lovely.

Offline UnicornTamer

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Everypony needs Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Dreams
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 11:36:23 AM »
I found Strawberry Scoops, Chocolate Delight (without their sodas), Springy, and Princess Dawn (along with some little dolls and a fakie) all in a bag for $5 (I think? :p I actually don't remember, but it was cheap) at a thrift store. That was super cool.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
I won Ice Crystal as a prize in a contest at the Trading Post. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 12:16:50 PM »
2 x Holly Dash in Wilco, Lincoln.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal