collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 vs G3 Pony toys?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
Re: G1 vs G3 Pony toys?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 12:58:47 AM »
Always G1s for me but I have to admit that G3s can look absolutely stunning when when customized!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 12:59:38 AM »
G3 was really well received by old school collectors when it came out, it was seen as a big step forward after G2 at the time. I think it's a nice line of MLP, it has a lot of variety - albeit I remember the chief bugbears being not enough unicorns/pegasus ponies and no males. The canon/films/stories are not as strong as G1, but I think I recall them being aimed at a slightly younger audience. But the ponies are quite diverse in colour. There are some repetitive colour schemes but on the whole there's still a good variety and some creative ideas.

G3 does have some issues with hair rotting on some ponies, which is something that G1 does not as a rule have. Some of the sets also have other issues, like the divine shines with their dissolving glitter. While G1 has some long term aging issues, it is a LOT older than G3 and these G3 issues have been showing up for some time, which may suggest the quality of production is not quite the same.

As toys though they are both very cute. I grew up with G1 so G1 has all the nostalgia for me. But if I had been a kid during G3 I probably would have been into them, whereas I think it unlikely I'd have been very captured by G4 and all its repetition.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 07:42:14 AM »
I grew up with G1 and G3 concurrently-- G3 came out when I was like 5 and I got into it pretty quick, but around 2006 I found out about G1 thanks to a DVD mixup and went nuts for it. I spent that time pouring over each in their own way, fixating on the new toy catalogs and kids' magazines simultaneously with collectors' websites and archived cartoons on proto-youtube.

I've always felt that while I prefer G1 in terms of ponies themselves (without much justification other than nostalgia), G3 was superior in terms of playsets and function. The hoof magnets were a genius way to add extra functionality to accessories, and the Celebration Castle and Crystal Rainbow Castle can smite Dream Castle quicker than the smooze ever could.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 08:55:52 AM »
I think G1 is beautiful.  Something about them makes them look a little more mature and elegant than G3.  But, G3 is also wonderful. I love how colorful they are and creative their symbols were.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 09:10:51 AM »
This might just be me but I think the g1 ponies look more gentle and their eyes look more melancholic than the g3 ponies and I personally love that. I get a feeling of gentleness and melancholy from them.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 10:02:42 AM »
They do seem like the most similar generations.  I like them both, probably about equally, as far as collecting.  Slight preference for G1s due to their nostalgic factor since I grew up with them, and having cuter babies in my opinion.  But there are definitely many G3s that I really love, and for customizing I like the size of G3s better.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline honor_h

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 10:28:02 AM »
G1 were my generation growing up so they're my favourites. I find them the most aesthetically pleasing and I like their eyes the best. G1 also had those handsome boy ponies! I really like the sweetheart sisters too. G3s are nice, but I think the G1s heads and bodies are better integrated. G3s have good detailed heads and but their bodies are too simple and small. I'm not keen on the style of the G3 babies legs. I also wish they had kept the symbols on both sides instead of dictating what the display side is.

What I like about G3s is the seasonal pony lines and the Target Christmas ponies (even if they were for the US only). They also had more green ponies and they have some good colour combos. I like that if you put a G3 next to a G1 they look like a teenage pony. As beautiful as SHS ponies are they're taller than the standard G1, so do G1 ponies shrink when they reach adulthood? The other appealing thing about G3 is the price compared to G1s these days.

Lovely Whizzer sig by Starscout
Fabulous avatar by Trinity

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 06:21:38 PM »
I love both G1 and G3 ponies!  I just wish G3 had more pegasus ponies and unicorns.  They had NO baby unicorn figures, which is such a shame.

But as far as colors and symbols, they were great.  (I also wish the symbols had been on both sides, though.)

The magnet gimmick on G3s was great.  I actually liked that so many of them were "just ponies" instead of themed sets like the G1s.  I mean, some G1 sets I'm over the moon for, like Twinkle Eyes and flutter ponies, but then there are the Dance 'n Prance ponies with the huge knob in their chests or the 3D symbol Precious Pocket ponies and it's like . . . no . . . just give me a normal, pretty pony who doesn't look like a weirdo.

Overall I do like G1s better, both because of nostalgia and because they look more stately and "grown up", which I prefer . . . but G3s are my second favorite pony gen.  I have tons of them!  (I also think they have the cutest ears of any pony gen, ha ha.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 10:42:49 AM »
Hmm...  G3 toys are very beautiful in my opinion, and my favorite generation in total (that's more for the cartoons, though - which are also very beautiful IMO, in my ways than one), but while not only do the G1s also have a beautiful design, they seem the most imaginative for me - I mean, you can use your imagination playing with any of the generations, but all the different types, and backcard stories (which you don't have to pay attention to, I know) - they just seem like a toyline I would have loved to have grown up with...

In fact, I have a kind of... pseudo-nostalgia for them... I guess, like I can imagine growing up with them, and playing with them, even though that never happened.  I do have genuine nostalgia for G1, which again is mainly the cartoon, but I never owned any, especially not as a kid, but they look so much like something I "should" have grown up with... it kind of feels like I could have done? 

That said, I do have actual nostalgia towards the G1 toys in a kind of strange way, and that's reading about them, of all things... back in the 2010s, when I got into the pre-G4 generations, it was the G1 toys I enjoyed reading about more than the others (mostly for what I mentioned), so the G1 toys are important to me, in a weird way, despite never owning one...

So, yeah... G3 may be my favorite generation, but... I think my favorite toyline is G1.   :lovey:
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 11:14:16 AM »
Didn't someone put a g3 pony on the hood of their car to test their magnet strength? XD
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline UnicornTamer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Everypony needs Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Dreams
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2022, 11:29:39 AM »
I grew up with G3s, and I just love them so much. It was a very long time before I got my hands on a real-live G1, but I had already fallen in love with them before that, even though I was born after their time. :p G1s and G3s just are so cute and horse-like (which I appreciate so much - lookin' at you, FiM). They smell nice, there are just so many of them. I love the creativity that went into them. And they're also just well-made.

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2022, 07:13:18 PM »
I like to collect both G1 and G3. Though I only do alternate rehairs for G1 and I prefer making customs out of G3s.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2022, 11:35:42 PM »
Didn't someone put a g3 pony on the hood of their car to test their magnet strength? XD

OMG . . . that's great!  :lol:
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal