collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 vs G3 Pony toys?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
G1 vs G3 Pony toys?
« on: January 10, 2022, 01:19:41 AM »
I noticed those two generations are the most similar out of all of them with their pony figures! I grew up in the 2000s so I am way more familiar with G3's but recently I got some G1's and I love them!

Ι like that the g1's are slightly bigger in size and also that they have the symbols on both sides... so you can display them from whichever side you prefer.

On the other hand I love that the g3's had a magnet on their hooves and you could stick them anywhere you wanted hahaha.

At of the day both of them have nice things about them! <3 I am just curious which ones you guys think had the best pony figures!

Offline Shiverdam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 vs G3 Pony toys?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 01:42:10 AM »
I collect G1s and G3s!
I love G1s for nostalgia reasons, and for the fact that they're friend-shaped. Their chubby bodies, soft hair and kind eyes are so appealing to me. My first MLPs were G1s passed down to me by my aunts, who grew up in the 80s. I love all of their unique gimmicks, but So-Softs and Twinkle Eyes are probably my favourites.
G3s hit stores when I was about 8 so it was perfect timing. I already loved my G1 collection and got super into collecting G3s as well. I love G3s return to form, back to the soft chubby body shape of G1s but a little smaller. G3s bold designs and colour schemes are what I really love about them, plus the hoof hearts and little designs in the eyes provide some extra charm. It's a shame they didn't make many unicorns.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 02:07:51 AM »
Oh I definately agree about G3's! They are so underrated! I love the little hearts on their eyes and the hearts on their hooves with the magnet was also super adorable to me! I think G3 and G1 had the best toylines. They were just beautiful!

I just wish that G3's had symbols on both sides...

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 07:20:54 AM »
I enjoy that many G3 are pretty cheap! They have such lovely, varied designs and interesting color choices, so I think they're more enjoyable to look at color-wise. G1 feel a little more distinct to me and have more clear gimmicks and themes, and their plastic feels nicer.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 08:11:30 AM »
G3's are great :inlove:

There is a lot of fun variations in them that are very G1 like (Think 3D symbols, TAF and gradient designs). I love their soft shape as well.

I only wish there were more unicorns and pegasi (and unicorn babies)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 09:02:30 AM »
G1 and G3 are my favorite generations. They're so beautiful and have such diversity in colors, moulds, species, and symbols. They're still the best quality, and they're horsey and detailed.

G1 is what I grew up with, so of course they're dearest to my heart. I love the toys and the toons.

G3 is such a delight. Just wish there were more unicorns and pegasus. Wish there were more babies, and that they got boys too. Oh well.

Nothing has come close to either of them, and sadly I don't think anything ever will again. What a pity.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 04:27:07 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 04:07:09 PM »
I love G1 so much, but G3 will always be my favorite gen. :heart:

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
G1 is my favorite, but G3 is an incredibly close second. G1 primarily beats out G3 for me because it balances the main pony types more. I feel like G3 was lacking in pegasi and especially in unicorns, so that's why G1 is my favorite over G3. That, and G3 did have the unfortunate Core 7 era at the end.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 09:57:04 PM »
PKW & LAW, agree with both of you on what G3 lacks: pegasi, unicorns (Customised some), Baby unicorns (Customised 2, one of each age), & Boys (Customised a load & working on more: next two are Ukulele & Ever After.

I love the extra details in the G3 eyes, the fact they're similar but not quite the same as the G1s (my G3s are the older teens/younger adults who frequent college & my Celebration Castle is a college), & the fact they fit so well, with G1s & G3s being mostly able to share buildings.

Aside from species lack, G3 also hits variety well, with the themes in particular hitting the jackpot. Summer, Halloween/ Autumn, Winter/Christmas, Valentine, Easter/Spring, Jewelled, Gradient, glittery, multi-coloured hair, long hair, it's all there.

G1 are the classics, with the most different species going (the other lack in G3 is any sort of Sea Pony). G1 have Flutters, Wingers, Sea Ponies, males, taller Ponies, shorter Ponies, thinner Ponies, wider Ponies, every shape & size, & I love that. They also have large numbers of pegasi & unicorns.

I collect all gens, except Pony Life (I only want two of those), & my G1s, G2s, & G3s, are all related & the base of my Ponyworld
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 12:38:09 AM »
G1 will always be iconic and the blueprint for everything that came after it but... G3 is prettier in my opinion. I prefer their super detailed cutie marks and eyes, shimmery bodies, and how bright their colors are (usually). I don't display G1s next to G3s because they look dull in comparison lol  :P
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline chichiri_chan

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 03:20:26 AM »
These are definitely my two favorites as well. I grew up with G1 as a kid, so I'll admit the nastolgia factor is probably in play there. I didn't realize it until making a check list of what ponies I have, but I really enjoyed the gimmicks as a kid. From flutter ponies to wingers and sweet heart sisters to brothers. I was a total sucker for the various gimmicks and molds! XD

I do enjoy the G3s for their unique diversity in color combos and creativity in design. Some of the cutie marks are really clever! I especially love the ones that go down the legs.

With the G1s getting so expensive nowadays, its fun being able to buy some of the G3s for pretty cheap still, too. I might have been older when they came out, but there were plenty of fond memories during their release as well.  ;)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 05:14:31 AM »
I grew up with G1 and they'll always be my #1 but G3s are a very close second. They look the most like ponies, imo. They had so much variety in poses and colors. I think they're the perfect size too. They're also my favorite to customize.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 11:11:29 PM »
I grew up with G1. Got my first two ponies, Snuzzle and Minty, when I was 4 or 5 and they are still my favorite but I loved them all. When G2came out I was disappointed and lost all interest in collecting even though I've since come to love them. When G3s came out they took a little while to win me over but I think playing ponies with Hannah when she was little helped a lot in that area.
I love both now though and have amassed a decent G3 collection to go with my G1 one.
If I had to pick one gen and one gen only it would be G1 hands down but G3 would be a close second. I still feel like G3s ended too soon before they had the chance to add more pony types as well as more missing unicorns, pegusi, and babies, all three of which G1 had an abundance of. Both of those gens definitely hold my attention more, I feel like the other gens changed things too much and they look less and less like ponies as time goes on.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 12:50:15 AM »
I love G1 the most, but I do like G3 a lot too, even more so over the years.

I had about eighty or so my little ponies when I was a kid and I ended up selling them all, which I regret now, but I’ve recollected most of the ones i had as a kid, and have bought about 80 G3’s on top of that. I have lots of nostalgia for G1. I still remember buying TE Tic Tac Toe at a toy store in the mall and getting TAF Munchy and Buttons on Easter and buying Sweet Notes on vacation in Washington. (I’m from Vancouver BC).

I have lots of amazing memories play ponies with my sister and my friends. I was a pretty sick kid and in the hospital a lot, when I woke up in the hospital my parents always had a new pony waiting for me at the end of the bed. That was the best part.

G3 has lots of unique colour combos and some cool concepts like the hoof hearts that activate items in playsets and they started out with yearly concepts which was fun. Although I feel like sometimes G3 was sort of missing some of that “magic” G1 had. Not bringing in Unicorns and Pegasus ponies earlier was a huge mistake. I think they thought the line was going to be more successful than was and unicorns and Pegasus would drive lots of sales when released.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 12:55:40 AM »
I actually don't remember buying G1s even though I'm 43. My ponies were all hand-me-downs. I do remember choosing Braided Beauty for my younger sister though, in Toys R Us. My first pony was Cotton Candy and I remember thinking that my sister's Peachy was more exotic! But my Cousin Danielle had the Hasbro Bradley (UK exclusives) set and some TEs. Her surname was also Bradley so I remember being confused by this as a kid! My younger cousins had Flutters and I remember not liking them too much because they are so fragile.  I do remember seeing G3s in a kind of homestores shop around the early 2000s but not being tempted to buy them. However I have since fallen in love with the figures, if not the stories.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal