collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you cut your own hair?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Do you cut your own hair?
« on: January 02, 2022, 09:10:50 AM »
If so is it since COVID and what have you been doing? I have been cutting my own hair for three years. I first tried it pre-COVID because it was costing around £60. I found a youtube tutorial. I'm sure I don't do a great job, but I wear it up most of the time so it's fine as long as it looks healthy. But then I lost my cutting scissors for six months, until today. So it had got very long. I put the cut hair outside for birds to nest with!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Do you cut your own hair?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 09:52:54 AM »
I do but I'd rather not :lol: My hair was past my shoulders and I hacked it off as short as I could with scissors. Since I've touched it up once, but it needs to be cut again... well, actually, I want it buzzed. I had my own clippers but they're so old they literally fell apart the last time I tried to use them. I really want to go to a salon and have a pro do it though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 10:17:07 AM »
I've been trimming it myself lately. I actually haven't had a professional haircut for almost 6 years. My partner cuts it sometimes. but last time he cut it too short. so the next time i just cut it. Sometimes I just need some of the length to be gone. sometimes maybe its just me getting stressed out though. i get a lot of split ends and the hard water we have here pretty much ruined it. sometimes it gets tangled and give me a headache.

i may cut it again myself. i like the idea of letting the birds use it to nest. i should put dog hair out too!

i do need to get it professional cut but and probably colored now that i'm getting gray hairs. naturally it's kind of a mousy brown so i used to get highlights. but i went through a long period of having no money so i stopped the highlights.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 10:21:37 AM »
I haven't been to a salon in a few years, partially because of my agoraphobia and partially because I'm growing my hair out (It was really short before, now it's past my shoulders). I do cut my bangs myself, and when I need to give my hair a trim, I have someone else help me out with it at home.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 10:57:13 AM »
Absolutely!!! My fringe gets done most often, every few weeks or so when it gets in my eyes, & the rest gets a wee trim when it goes below a certain point. I want long hair, but not ridiculous hair
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 11:16:53 AM »
Sometimes. When I was younger, Mum used to trim my hair. I started getting it cut professionally as a teenager when I wanted my hair dyed black - both Mum and I agreed it was best to have the colour done by a professional. As a student I could no longer afford to dye my hair regularly and wasn't even interested in that anymore, so I stopped going to a hairdresser altogether. I started trimming the ends myself, or I'd ask Mum to do a quick trim when I visited.

I don't have proper scissors so I try not to do it myself, but I'm very bad at making appointments and often go a year or more between visits... So I resort to trimming it myself every now and then when it gets bad enough. Luckily I have curly hair and it doesn't really matter if it's even or not. :lol: But a professional does a much better job, I can't deny it. I'm currently hoping to make an appointment, it's been about 19 months since my last one! And yes, I've cut my own hair in the meanwhile. :P   

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 01:37:57 PM »
Yes, I don't see the reason why I should ever hafta pay for a professional to do a quick trim. If my hair is a bit uneven afterwards, that's okay. It's just to get rid of split ends anyway.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 03:28:22 PM »
I've cut mine several times before and during the pandemic.  The first time was on impulse, then covid hit and I continued.  One main reason for it is that I dislike the expectation to converse with the stylist.  I never have a complicated style so it has been pretty easy to do myself.

Just an FYI, you should never offer long human hairs for birds to nest with, it isn't a safe nesting material for them.  They can get tangled up in it, lose circulation to body parts, ingest it and have digestive issues, etc.  Maybe if it was very short pieces it would be okay?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 03:31:23 PM »
I haven't cut my hair in years, but this year I'm planning to finally grab a hair clipper and get myself a nice buzz cut.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 03:00:37 AM »
I do but I'd rather not :lol: My hair was past my shoulders and I hacked it off as short as I could with scissors. Since I've touched it up once, but it needs to be cut again... well, actually, I want it buzzed. I had my own clippers but they're so old they literally fell apart the last time I tried to use them. I really want to go to a salon and have a pro do it though.

Silly question but maybe your Dad could do it?! Otherwise I did see a woman once with the 'Elvis Military Haircut' and it did look very fetching.

Post Merge: January 05, 2022, 03:05:08 AM

I've cut mine several times before and during the pandemic.  The first time was on impulse, then covid hit and I continued.  One main reason for it is that I dislike the expectation to converse with the stylist.  I never have a complicated style so it has been pretty easy to do myself.

Just an FYI, you should never offer long human hairs for birds to nest with, it isn't a safe nesting material for them.  They can get tangled up in it, lose circulation to body parts, ingest it and have digestive issues, etc.  Maybe if it was very short pieces it would be okay?

Yes! I find the talking can be so awkward. I think it was maybe 2" long? I'll bear that in mind.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 03:05:36 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 07:59:27 AM »

Silly question but maybe your Dad could do it?! Otherwise I did see a woman once with the 'Elvis Military Haircut' and it did look very fetching.

Hahaha, I wouldn't trust my dad with a pair of clippers :lol: I actually only want it buzzed on the sides and the back, and short on top. It's a cut I've had before many times. I am AFAB but ID as transmasculine, I don't mind what pronouns people use, just don't call me ma'am :P

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 07:44:07 AM »
I cut my own hair when I was little :lol: I haven't done it since.

Since lock down, I am now the family hairdresser. I trim my Mum's hair and buzz my Dad's head.

I have buzzed my  undercut, but I ended up taking a chunk out if my hair by accident :blush: I asked my Dad to buzz my undercut, but I could tell he didn't like doing it.

The rest of my hair has only gotten cut once in the last two years now. I am still too scared to cut my own hair, even thought I have watched various tutorials on how to do it. So my hair is long, but then again I always wanted long hair.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 12:06:55 PM »
I live at home so my mom will do it if I ask. :) I have done small trims on myself when my ends get really split or frizzy, it's long enough for me to do so.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 05:10:07 PM »
i had a sleepwalking incident when i took zzquil and ended up chopping my bangs off XD
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 05:42:21 PM »
i had a sleepwalking incident when i took zzquil and ended up chopping my bangs off XD

Oops.  :crazy:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal