collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Barbie's let talk about the old days 60's 70's 80's 90's  (Read 2572 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Barbie's let talk about the old days 60's 70's 80's 90's
« on: December 09, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »
Let Have chat chat about the old days!

I got my first Barbie in 1993 Sun Jewel Barbie for a birthday from my aunt and uncle. My mom wasn't very happy about it but thought oh well.
Somehow I also acquired a sun jewel Theresa
And a jewel eye Cinderella doll. I liked Barbie untill I got to be about 5 years old them I got Teased pretty badly by my family and I hated Barbie. When I turned 7 I got a Movin and groovin barbie. And eventhough I hated barbie I carried that thing with me everywhere for a while. I think deep down I never really hated Barbie I just didn't wanna get teased and excluded from things for being a girl.

Now n days I am collecting and really enjoy it. I've got a almost complete collection of the cool times barbie, Jazzie and her crew, and totally hair Barbie and more.

I can't Waite untill I buy some shelfs to put my ponies and barbies and all of my other random 80's toys on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:56:50 PM by LightingElectricDream »
:accomplished:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Barbie's let talk about the old days 60's 70's 80's 90's
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 01:54:52 PM »
Most of my memories of Barbies come from trading mine for ponies.  :lol:  But my sister and I did play with them together.  She adored Pink & Pretty and then Day to Night.  I was not particular but my Barbie was Magic Curl.  My sister got her for Christmas and I got Pink & Pretty so we immediately traded.

I'm sorry you got teased for liking Barbie.  People can be so mean.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »
I loved mine, I loved trying to buy diverse ones.   I did chew on their hands and feet though!  XD
Still have them all, working out a new head & neck peg solution for the broken ones.

I really loved Peaches & Cream, I remember getting her as a very young child.  Also I really loved Light & Lace!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 09:02:57 PM »
I love Barbie, in addition to a bunch of other things. Barbie over the years is what got me collecting dolls as a hobby. I am a 1980's child and that era dolls and into the early 90's will always have a special place in my collection.  I had some Barbie dolls as a kid that I played with and then as I moved in to the teen years I still wanted the dolls and would open the box and put them on display and then later teen years I stopped opening the boxes and left them MIB. I have never really stopped buying/collecting Barbie's but I do go for long amounts of time, often years, before buying a new one. These are the ones I had from the 80's & 90's, some of the dolls I no longer have, since I started downsizing my overall collection last year and have sold quite a few of the 90's dolls that I bought as a teenager. Most of the dolls were bought on clearance and then given to me as a birthday or Christmas present (there is a pattern of 2 per year if you notice), until I got a little older and could save up to buy a 3rd doll.

Great Shape Barbie - (This was my first Barbie and my mom threw her out clothes and all after my older cousin showed me how the head moved and I broke it. All I have left is her shoes and pink bag.)

Dream Glow - (I love this doll, parasol is broken but she is still one of my favorites, her dress still glows in the dark)

Fun Time
Jewel Secrets

Sensations - (Another one I absolutely loved as a kid & adult)
California Dream Ken - (my ONLY Ken doll.... poor Barbie, had to go on dates with him wearing swim trunks.)

Homecoming Queen Skipper
Feeling Fun
Fun to Dress
Teen Looks Cheerleader Jazzie

Dance Club
Ice Capades

Happy Birthday
Stars ‘n Stripes Navy

Barbie for President Gift Set
Stars ‘n Stripes Marine Corps

Cheerleading Courtney
Radiant in Red
Spring Bouquet

Gymnast
Paint N Dazzle
Dolls of the World Australian Barbie

Rapunzel
Bubble Angel

School Spirit

Olympic Gymnast

Happy Holidays Barbie
1990, 1995 - 1998

I was lucky enough that my parents (with help from my grandparents) did get me the Barbie Townhouse in either 1987 or 1988 for Christmas, and I also had the 57' Chevy from 1989 in Baby Blue (Christmas Gift, I love that car). Sadly the 1987 California Dream Beach Taxi (bike and cart) did not survive well over the years and is broken in a lot of places. I also have several sets of the Sweet Roses Furniture that my mom was able to buy on clearance or at the local thrift stores, and that was fun to have furniture for the townhouse. I have a few other random accessory sets (picnic sets, etc) that she was also able to get from either the thrift store or from Pic N Save (now Big Lots).

I know my post is getting long. One more thing though. One of the things I really liked as a kid were these little wind up accessories for Barbie. They were called "Action Accents" and later "Magic Moves" and were usually some sort of appliance and when you wound it up it did something. So for example the phone rang, the microwave turn table would rotate and the popcorn maker would "pop" popcorn. They were sold singularly for just a couple dollars each.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 09:37:20 PM by toyjunky »

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 04:34:31 PM »
I loved my Barbie dolls as a little girl but they always took a back seat to my ponies and/or other animal toys. More than the dolls themselves I remember my favorite things I had for them. My absolute favorite Barbie thing I had when I was little in the 80s was her white cat, followed by her poodle Prince. Being animals they received a lot more play time and the accessories for the cat were amazing to me. I remember he came with a bed, scratching post, and pet carrier, all pink of course and the cat had velcro feet so it could "use" it's scratching post and hold on.
I have vague memories of having a peaches and cream Barbie and of a wedding Ken that came in a white tuxedo but those are the only dolls that stick until years later when I got back into getting Barbies so that my New Kids On The Block dolls could all have girlfriends lol, and I remember being more interested in Teen Skipper and Barbie's friends than I was in Barbie herself.
I did inherent quite a few things from an older cousin when she outgrew her toys including one of the swimming pool playsets and a yellow remote control convertible which both got a lot of use for a while.
In the 90s I started seeking out some dolls again but mostly for sewing clothing and bits of light customizing with my best friend. We'd spend hours in my room figuring out how to make this or that outfit with the supplies we had, repainting a few dolls here and there, some with nail polish because we didn't know better, and rehairing one of my childhood Skippers with some curly black doll hair that I probably grabbed from the craft aisle of the local walmart.
The only specific doll I remember buying during this time was the Beast from Beauty and the Beast and a Theresa doll to go with him since she was prettier to me than Belle.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 07:54:19 PM »
I love Barbie.  :lovey:  I have more Barbies than ponies in my house.  I still have my childhood dolls.  I started keeping them MIB when I turned 12.  The first doll that started my collection was Radiant in Red Barbie followed by the 1992 Holiday Barbie.

My favorite dolls are probably the 80's and 90's dolls too.  My first Barbie was Loving You Barbie.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 02:54:10 AM »
I actually used one of my 90s Ken dolls with painted hair (can’t remember which it was a beach one) as a spoon once because the spoon I had for my dessert fell on the floor and I didn’t have another spoon so I used him.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 11:38:27 AM »
I actually used one of my 90s Ken dolls with painted hair (can’t remember which it was a beach one) as a spoon once because the spoon I had for my dessert fell on the floor and I didn’t have another spoon so I used him.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 04:25:05 AM »
I really liked my Barbies as a kid and did play with the quite a lot. I remember that our favorites where actually not Barbie, but two others who where called Dana and Diva. Dana had black hair and Diva was a redhead. They were singers and came with neon colored clothes and microphones. Loved them! I also really loved my Skipper. She was in more pastel colors and so sweet. But I also loved the animals the most. I had a white cat, a collie dog, a grey horse and a foal named Dixie :heart: I also had a car, that my birds used to drive around in :lol:

Edit: oh, and we played a lot with our mom’s old Barbie’s as well. Still have them! Barbie was the dark haired one with molded eyelashes and she was always evil (poor thing). Compared to the happy-faces of the 80’s and 90’s, she kinda looked like the Evil Queen from Disney. We also had one of the first Skippers (the first?).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:29:19 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 10:32:48 AM »
I really liked my Barbies as a kid and did play with the quite a lot. I remember that our favorites where actually not Barbie, but two others who where called Dana and Diva. Dana had black hair and Diva was a redhead. They were singers and came with neon colored clothes and microphones. Loved them! I also really loved my Skipper. She was in more pastel colors and so sweet. But I also loved the animals the most. I had a white cat, a collie dog, a grey horse and a foal named Dixie :heart: I also had a car, that my birds used to drive around in :lol:

Edit: oh, and we played a lot with our mom’s old Barbie’s as well. Still have them! Barbie was the dark haired one with molded eyelashes and she was always evil (poor thing). Compared to the happy-faces of the 80’s and 90’s, she kinda looked like the Evil Queen from Disney. We also had one of the first Skippers (the first?).

Dana and Diva were from Barbie and the Rockers. I always wanted one of those Barbie's but never had her. I did have other Barbie and the Rockers merchandise like story books and coloring books though. For a birthday present my husband bought me the reproduction Barbie and the Rockers doll that was part of the My Favorite Barbie line that Mattel made for the 50th Anniversary of Barbie.

My mom only had one Barbie type doll from when she was a child, so we never played with it, it was in a doll case. Compared to the 80's and 90's faces I can totally see why you would have pretended the older ones were evil/mean. They do have a particular look about them, almost a snooty or haughty look compared to the 80's dolls.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 03:05:51 PM »
I was never a doll person growing up very much (the irony when I got into Monster High!), but I do remember having Christie, Barbie's friend, a couple of times. I remember when the mermaid Barbie line was huuuuge but I was always disappointed with mermaid dolls in that the tails would be fabric and the legs hidden inside. That's not a real mermaid, dangit!

I think the inflexibility of the legs put me off. I was fascinated by the smallness of the shoes and clothing, though!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Barbie\'s let talk about the old days 60\'s 70\'s 80\'s 90\'s
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 01:35:41 AM »

Dana and Diva were from Barbie and the Rockers. I always wanted one of those Barbie's but never had her. I did have other Barbie and the Rockers merchandise like story books and coloring books though. For a birthday present my husband bought me the reproduction Barbie and the Rockers doll that was part of the My Favorite Barbie line that Mattel made for the 50th Anniversary of Barbie.

My mom only had one Barbie type doll from when she was a child, so we never played with it, it was in a doll case. Compared to the 80's and 90's faces I can totally see why you would have pretended the older ones were evil/mean. They do have a particular look about them, almost a snooty or haughty look compared to the 80's dolls.

Oh! Cool! Thank you- Barbie and the rockers! Didn’t know that! I still have them, tucked away in a box in the attic. Poor girls. I’ve always been more worried about my ponies. And especially Diva ended up with such a mess of hair. I briefly wanted to try to sort it out when I first got into ponies, but it is such a MESS. I never dared to try. Are there any good tutorials on how to do this with Barbie hair? Detangle curly hair? 

My mom also just had one, but we were allowed to play with her. I was a pretty careful kid. I cried bloody murder if any of my toys got even a scratch :lol: But then again, since she was evil she wasn’t really a big part of the storyline. She came in, delivered her evil lines and left the mayhem that followed.

I love the look of the old Barbies now that I’m old(er). But I can see why child me didn’t. They do have a snooty look to them - I agree. But they are really fashionable and the look is so in style with the 50/60’s era. I would love to have a small collection of those older dolls with their outfits, but they are so insanely expensive!

Post Merge: July 10, 2022, 01:41:51 AM

I was never a doll person growing up very much (the irony when I got into Monster High!), but I do remember having Christie, Barbie's friend, a couple of times. I remember when the mermaid Barbie line was huuuuge but I was always disappointed with mermaid dolls in that the tails would be fabric and the legs hidden inside. That's not a real mermaid, dangit!

I think the inflexibility of the legs put me off. I was fascinated by the smallness of the shoes and clothing, though!

I wasn’t really a doll person either, loved my stuffed animals the most, ponies, keypers , dinosaurs and playmo horses (and of course the Victorian area playmo sets :heart: ). But for some reason, Barbies I liked. For a period of time (after my older sister got sick of ponies) we played with Barbies quite a lot. Of course, the animals were important- and I had some favorites of the dolls and didn’t bother that much with those that weren’t favorites.

Did you know that Barbie has released a new line with Mermaids? With actual mermaid tails? My nieces have them and play with them a lot. They are actually really cool! And of course I really like the body positivity with different body shapes which also these mermaids have. And they are colorful!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 01:43:40 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal