Pony Talk > Pony Corral

NEED HELP: removing perfumes & artifical fragrances?

<< < (6/6)

Artemesia's Garden:

--- Quote from: Purpleglasses on December 29, 2021, 03:14:13 PM ---Thank you both so much! I really appreciate this and I LOVE when people cross reference with other disciplines for their restoring knowledge. I’ll have to look into car stuff!

I know some ponies are sensitive to UV exposure, and about the pink hair, but those things certainly bear repeating! One other question - I would imagine the vinyl parts of a car that get UV damage get a lot more exposure due to being inside an object with windows that’s usually stored outside. My understanding of the average MLP sun fading/UV light box session is that that only takes a matter of hours/days. Wouldn’t shorter exposure time mean less potential for long term damage?

--- End quote ---

My reference to car stuff was just to do with maintenance in general I guess. The damage from UV will be proportional to the length of exposure but no-one knows exactly what combination of and intensity of environmental triggers cause plastic breakdown to become noticeable. Symptoms are yellowing of iether or both head and body, stickiness which usually starts inside first, appearance of brown spots.

In general, it is thought best to keep soft plastic clean, dry, at a stable temperature and away from UV light. It is also though best to keep it away from other soft plastics such as plastic bags however this may be due to the increase in humidity rather than a chemical reaction between the different types of plastic. That said, the V&A museum keep two of each Barbie. One is kept intact the other has the parts separated to reduce any breakdown due to chemical reactions between the different materials.

With any restoration work it's entierly It's entirely "your pony, your choice" however I personally would not want to buy a pony if I knew it had been sunfaded. Some inks will disappear after just a few days of sunfading in which case you might think it's worth it. Some inks disappear after a few months. If you sunfade, maybe you will have a few years of pony looking good, but they will start to show visible plastic breakdown a few years earlier than they otherwise would.

I have a theory that a lot of the problems with yellowing and pony cancer etc. that we see in the community are made worse by collectors using harsh treatments like sunfading and peroxide etc. to get a short-term improvement in the pony's appearance. Unfortunately they are then sold to other collectors who don't realise what has been done to them, and then in a few years they start to yellow etc. This has happened to me with white, higher value ponies like June rose and Port-O-Bella, but of course it's impossible to prove. 

Wardah:

--- Quote from: Artemesia's Garden on December 29, 2021, 11:50:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Purpleglasses on December 29, 2021, 03:14:13 PM ---Thank you both so much! I really appreciate this and I LOVE when people cross reference with other disciplines for their restoring knowledge. I’ll have to look into car stuff!

I know some ponies are sensitive to UV exposure, and about the pink hair, but those things certainly bear repeating! One other question - I would imagine the vinyl parts of a car that get UV damage get a lot more exposure due to being inside an object with windows that’s usually stored outside. My understanding of the average MLP sun fading/UV light box session is that that only takes a matter of hours/days. Wouldn’t shorter exposure time mean less potential for long term damage?

--- End quote ---

My reference to car stuff was just to do with maintenance in general I guess. The damage from UV will be proportional to the length of exposure but no-one knows exactly what combination of and intensity of environmental triggers cause plastic breakdown to become noticeable. Symptoms are yellowing of iether or both head and body, stickiness which usually starts inside first, appearance of brown spots.

In general, it is thought best to keep soft plastic clean, dry, at a stable temperature and away from UV light. It is also though best to keep it away from other soft plastics such as plastic bags however this may be due to the increase in humidity rather than a chemical reaction between the different types of plastic. That said, the V&A museum keep two of each Barbie. One is kept intact the other has the parts separated to reduce any breakdown due to chemical reactions between the different materials.

With any restoration work it's entierly It's entirely "your pony, your choice" however I personally would not want to buy a pony if I knew it had been sunfaded. Some inks will disappear after just a few days of sunfading in which case you might think it's worth it. Some inks disappear after a few months. If you sunfade, maybe you will have a few years of pony looking good, but they will start to show visible plastic breakdown a few years earlier than they otherwise would.

I have a theory that a lot of the problems with yellowing and pony cancer etc. that we see in the community are made worse by collectors using harsh treatments like sunfading and peroxide etc. to get a short-term improvement in the pony's appearance. Unfortunately they are then sold to other collectors who don't realise what has been done to them, and then in a few years they start to yellow etc. This has happened to me with white, higher value ponies like June rose and Port-O-Bella, but of course it's impossible to prove. 

--- End quote ---

So you feel that marks that can't be removed with a gentle wash should probably be accepted as a permanent part of the pony?

Artemesia's Garden:

--- Quote from: Wardah on December 31, 2021, 11:57:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: Artemesia's Garden on December 29, 2021, 11:50:30 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

So you feel that marks that can't be removed with a gentle wash should probably be accepted as a permanent part of the pony?

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily, depending on what it is I might try acetone/magic erasor/mineral oil. If that doesn't work I might try sunfading for a couple of days just because some biro does disapear really fast. But I'd have to weigh it up. How about you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version