collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEED HELP: removing perfumes & artifical fragrances?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline parthenia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
NEED HELP: removing perfumes & artifical fragrances?
« on: December 04, 2021, 03:20:47 PM »
(hello! i am brand new to this forum - just joined today- sorry if this isn't the right place to post, not sure where to put this topic)

i have allergies to perfumes and artifical fragrances and unfortunately bought a sweet sister pony (Fancy Flower) from a seller without asking about perfumes first- when she arrived at my home, she reeked of an artificial fragrance her previous owner must have sprayed on her

i want to save her and work on removing her scent, but havent had any luck removing it from her plastic body
i chopped off her mane and threw away her tail, which smelled horrifically sweet, and it removed most of the scent, but her body still smells when i bring it to my nose and sniff

when she arrived i separated her head/body and fully washed and sanitized her inside & out. first i put her in a bag of dry baking soda for 4 days, but it did nothing to remove her scent
afterwards i fully submerged her plastic body in 100% undiluted white vinegar for 48 hours straight, which didn't really seem to remove her scent either
i've currently put her in a bowl of clean water with dissolved baking soda, but after 24 hours of being fully submerged it doesn't seem like it's working either and her body still smells sweet as before. (i know baking soda and vinegar mixed together will do nothing to clean her since the chemical reaction to mix them only leaves water behind, i used both solutions separately)

does UV lighting work on removing scents as deep as this if vinegar and baking soda haven't worked? people say to air out a pony when its sunny outdoors, but i live in an area where its currently freezing & raining constantly this winter. so i can't leave her outside to air out- i only have UV light to substitute for sun

what else can i do to get rid of the fragrance? is she beyond saving and will i just have to sell her off? any advice is appreciated. i've seen so much advice for removing smoke/mildew/mold smells specifically from ponies, but almost next to nothing for chemical perfumes and fragrances and i'm getting desperate

(please dont suggest using additional fragrances to mask the perfume. i want to get rid of the artificial scent completely, not hide it with even more)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: NEED HELP: removing perfumes & artifical fragrances?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 03:56:50 PM »
Moved to the Pony Corral :) You'll get more answers here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline parthenia

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 04:37:18 PM »
thank you!! i appreciate it

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 01:56:01 AM »
Have you tried storing her in a shoebox bin of kitty litter? I would have thought some unscented dish soap would have de-scented the mane and tail enough that you could've kept them.
I don't think a uv light is going to help since a big factor of people suggesting the outdoors is more for the fresh air than the sunlight tbh.
So dousing her with uv rays is probably only going to succeed in aging her plastic prematurely.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 06:53:33 AM »
you sure that wasn't a MLP with Original Pony Smell you just destroyed???  cuz G1 MLP have a sweet plastic smell to them even when there is no fragrances included with them.
also some of the G1s came with cosmetics, so that's permanently in that plastic.

UV light ruins ponies, don't put them in it!!! 

basically.... if you are THAT sensitive, collecting the actual physical toys might not be the best idea... there are a lot of cross -containment issues.  what if the previous owner kept all their 80's toys in a bin, are you going to chop their original hair off too?  Because that just....  ruined the value of that pony.  I don't think this is a good solution for your collecting, G1 ponies are very finite in quantity as it is.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 07:23:05 AM »
you sure that wasn't a MLP with Original Pony Smell you just destroyed???  cuz G1 MLP have a sweet plastic smell to them even when there is no fragrances included with them.
also some of the G1s came with cosmetics, so that's permanently in that plastic.

basically.... if you are THAT sensitive, collecting the actual physical toys might not be the best idea... there are a lot of cross -containment issues.  what if the previous owner kept all their 80's toys in a bin, are you going to chop their original hair off too?  Because that just....  ruined the value of that pony.  I don't think this is a good solution for your collecting, G1 ponies are very finite in quantity as it is.

I was honestly cringing the whole time I read their post. Even I, and I'm very much pro customization, wouldn't ever think to chop good hair off a G1.

If you are ready sensitive to scents but want ponies in the G1 style maybe start with Basic Fun ponies. I don't think they are scented other than a few waves that clearly mentioned it on the box.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 08:07:00 AM »
I've always had luck removing smells by putting them into freezing temperatures. I've removed cigarette stink by wrapping them in paper towel with vinegar, putting them in a plastic bag, and leaving them in a shaded, protected area in the winter. A freezer will also suffice...it's likely not the most healthy thing for her plastic but it is a bit better than exposing to UV, which I am not sure will do much for the smell.

It is a shame her mane and tail ended up chopped.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline parthenia

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 03:20:41 PM »

This is a Sweet Sister pony with no mention of scenting on the original packaging or webpage descriptions anywhere on it

There already has been quite a bit of damage on it (scratches, marks I couldnt remove, plastic discoloration etc) and the hair appeared to be shorter than what it originally wasnin untouched photos I've seen- so I figured it wouldnt hurt to rehome and restore it since its value probably would have already tanked because of the statue from its previous ownership

Had it been in pristine collectors condition when I got it  I would not have dared touch it like I have now

Post Merge: December 05, 2021, 03:25:26 PM

I was honestly cringing the whole time I read their post. Even I, and I'm very much pro customization, wouldn't ever think to chop good hair off a G1.

If you are ready sensitive to scents but want ponies in the G1 style maybe start with Basic Fun ponies. I don't think they are scented other than a few waves that clearly mentioned it on the box.

I should have clarified: As I got this secondhand from a previous owner who appeared to previously have modified her mane/tail (which was not in pristine/perfect condition when it arrived in addition to being cut- it was shorter than perfect collectors photos of her) I figured that she was due for a rehairing anyways. Her collectors value probably already tanked before my ownership, so I dont see how me keeping that original botched hair & botched tail would retain any value

I am trying to collect basic fun ponies! But am having difficulty finding them in stores where I am other than overpriced ones online on ebay etc.

Post Merge: December 05, 2021, 03:29:46 PM

I've always had luck removing smells by putting them into freezing temperatures. I've removed cigarette stink by wrapping them in paper towel with vinegar, putting them in a plastic bag, and leaving them in a shaded, protected area in the winter. A freezer will also suffice...it's likely not the most healthy thing for her plastic but it is a bit better than exposing to UV, which I am not sure will do much for the smell.

It is a shame her mane and tail ended up chopped.

Thank you, I'll try and see if freezing can work

Her original mane and tail were cut much shorter by the original owner as their length didnt match collectors photos ive seen. I feel bad that I've had to get rid of it but it seemed to me her original value already tanked with whatever her previous owner did and a rehairing wouldn't hurt in this state

Post Merge: December 05, 2021, 03:37:56 PM

Have you tried storing her in a shoebox bin of kitty litter? I would have thought some unscented dish soap would have de-scented the mane and tail enough that you could've kept them.
I don't think a uv light is going to help since a big factor of people suggesting the outdoors is more for the fresh air than the sunlight tbh.
So dousing her with uv rays is probably only going to succeed in aging her plastic prematurely.

I haven't thought of cat litter, I don't have access to any since my family doesn't keep pets, but its something i can consider in the future

The mane and tail were cut shorter than normal compared to untouched collectors pieces, so I figured she was due for a rehairing in any case
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:37:56 PM by parthenia »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 03:41:38 PM »
Her collectors value probably already tanked before my ownership, so I dont see how me keeping that original botched hair & botched tail would retain any value

You'd be surprised. A lot of people prefer original as can be, haircuts, marks and all. Buying TLC ponies to fix up and sell is a finicky business. You probably won't be properly compensated for time and supplies because charging too much for a restore just makes people turn around and find an original, even if it's not in perfect condition. The more common the pony, the more likely this is the case. When you get into more sought after ponies, then you run into devaluing it if you fix it. So it's a tricky market to sell to. Most people would agree that fixing up a pony should be the buyer's decision.

I don't want to discourage you from doing it though :) Just being realistic. If you want to practice restoring and rehairing, do so on common ponies and don't expect to make much off them. Do it because you want to and it's fun :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline parthenia

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »
Her collectors value probably already tanked before my ownership, so I dont see how me keeping that original botched hair & botched tail would retain any value

You'd be surprised. A lot of people prefer original as can be, haircuts, marks and all. Buying TLC ponies to fix up and sell is a finicky business. You probably won't be properly compensated for time and supplies because charging too much for a restore just makes people turn around and find an original, even if it's not in perfect condition. The more common the pony, the more likely this is the case. When you get into more sought after ponies, then you run into devaluing it if you fix it. So it's a tricky market to sell to. Most people would agree that fixing up a pony should be the buyer's decision.

I don't want to discourage you from doing it though :) Just being realistic. If you want to practice restoring and rehairing, do so on common ponies and don't expect to make much off them. Do it because you want to and it's fun :)

Thank you so much for your advice, I'll keep this in mind
I genuinely had no idea having never seen this before- I'm glad I didnt destroy a perfectly good one for no reason and had hoped to keep her (I may have to sell her off if I cannot get rid of the scent once I've rehaired her..) but I will keep this in mind going forward

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 05:38:26 PM »
I haven't had any issues with pony smells yet, but I have heard kitty litter works wonders, so I'm seconding TwistedRiver's suggestion. Also, if you're interested in restoring ponies anyways and not really into maintaining their value, why not just get ones that are already in baity condition (moreso than a slight haircut), especially for the more uncommon ponies?

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline parthenia

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 06:07:38 PM »
I haven't had any issues with pony smells yet, but I have heard kitty litter works wonders, so I'm seconding TwistedRiver's suggestion. Also, if you're interested in restoring ponies anyways and not really into maintaining their value, why not just get ones that are already in baity condition (moreso than a slight haircut), especially for the more uncommon ponies?

I'll keep kitty litter in mind!
That's exactly what I was thinking- this was a slightly more damaged pony than normal. Had the pony been in better condition than I had got it in (it seemd like bait to me) I wouldn't have altered it as much as I have with the hair, but I will definitely be careful about preserving future ponies when they're in better condition than this one

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 11:46:14 AM »
I’m ok with some scents, but cheap floral perfume smells makes me sick.  I got a Perfume Puff as a kid, and the second I opened the box, I knew I was in trouble.  I could barely be in the same room as it for more than a minute.

It was still a pony, and I’m not about to throw one out, even if it stinks, so I had to figure something out. I was able to successfully completely de-scent a fresh from the box Perfume Puff(which are incredibly strongly scented).  You’ve got the right idea, but you’re aiming for a quick fix.  There is no quick fix. To get any scent out of a pony takes time. Lots of it. 

There are probably lots of ways to do this, but this is my method:

Get yourself a plastic bin with a lid (or a piece of Tupperware) that fits the pony with some room to spare, but not too much. Buy a 5 pound bag of baking soda(they have it on amazon).  Put the pony in the bin and fill the bin with the baking soda until the pony is covered. If the pony’s head is removable, you can put some carbon packets(available online) inside and put the head back on.  I’d avoid stuffing it with the baking soda - you might not be able to get it all out.  Put the bin somewhere that it can sit undisturbed for months .

Every now and then turn the pony and give the bin a shake to refresh the baking soda.  Once a month or so(or whenever you remember) pull the pony out, wash it off(I also febreeze the ponies and fully wash them during this time), let it dry completely, and let it really air out for a few days. I like to use a fan or put it by an open window to keep the air circulating around it. Give it a sniff after a few days. If it still has a whiff, change out the baking soda, and repeat the process.

This is not a few days type process. You’re looking at a few months, sometimes more.  And if you have to put the pony in some kind of enclosed storage, tuck some carbon packets in with it to keep any lingering scent at bay.  This method also works with mildew and cigarette stench. You can also do this with accessories and ponywear, but I wrap anything cloth or paper in tissue paper so the baking soda doesn’t ruin it. I also skip the washing step for cloth or paper items.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:51:01 AM by goddessofpeep »

Offline parthenia

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 01:09:26 PM »
I’m ok with some scents, but cheap floral perfume smells makes me sick.  I got a Perfume Puff as a kid, and the second I opened the box, I knew I was in trouble.  I could barely be in the same room as it for more than a minute.

It was still a pony, and I’m not about to throw one out, even if it stinks, so I had to figure something out. I was able to successfully completely de-scent a fresh from the box Perfume Puff(which are incredibly strongly scented).  You’ve got the right idea, but you’re aiming for a quick fix.  There is no quick fix. To get any scent out of a pony takes time. Lots of it. 

There are probably lots of ways to do this, but this is my method:

Get yourself a plastic bin with a lid (or a piece of Tupperware) that fits the pony with some room to spare, but not too much. Buy a 5 pound bag of baking soda(they have it on amazon).  Put the pony in the bin and fill the bin with the baking soda until the pony is covered. If the pony’s head is removable, you can put some carbon packets(available online) inside and put the head back on.  I’d avoid stuffing it with the baking soda - you might not be able to get it all out.  Put the bin somewhere that it can sit undisturbed for months .

Every now and then turn the pony and give the bin a shake to refresh the baking soda.  Once a month or so(or whenever you remember) pull the pony out, wash it off(I also febreeze the ponies and fully wash them during this time), let it dry completely, and let it really air out for a few days. I like to use a fan or put it by an open window to keep the air circulating around it. Give it a sniff after a few days. If it still has a whiff, change out the baking soda, and repeat the process.

This is not a few days type process. You’re looking at a few months, sometimes more.  And if you have to put the pony in some kind of enclosed storage, tuck some carbon packets in with it to keep any lingering scent at bay.  This method also works with mildew and cigarette stench. You can also do this with accessories and ponywear, but I wrap anything cloth or paper in tissue paper so the baking soda doesn’t ruin it. I also skip the washing step for cloth or paper items.

Thank you so much for this advice- im really glad to hear that you found something that worked for you. I'll definitely give this a try, I figured if a scent this harsh wasn't going away in a few days i'll wait long term in that case

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »
Like others have suggested, I'd advise kitty litter! It worked really well for a couple ponies I had with weird scents lol.

Also if you want to get into MLP, idk if gen 1 is for you if you're warry of scents. I'm someone who gets migraines from strong smells so I understand being a little apprehensive of smells. The general thing I've noticed with G1 ponies is that they typically will always smell like something. It's just kind of the way the plastic they were made with is? Like, I've seen descriptions of the scent vary a little between collectors, but the smell I'd describe it as is like a sweet scent with a bit of a spicy nip to the end if that makes sense? At least in my opinion that's how it smells.

Anyway, the point is I'm not sure if gen 1 would be the best for you to collect? Obviously, not all ponies will smell EXACTLY the same, however in my experience, all of my ponies have SOME scent. Whether that be a sweet scent, a smokier (but not cigarette) scent, a teakwood/cologne scent, or even just a strong plastic-ish scent. Depending on how I'm feeling that day, I have to be careful how much I handle the pony because the smell can sometimes transfer onto my hands! LOL

If you like the look of g1 I'd suggest the re-issues that are coming out by Basic Fun, even if they are a little hard to come by at the moment. Other than that I've noticed g2 ponies do not tend to have a scent at all, same with g3. G4-g5ish can be more hit or miss. A lot of my late-line G4-G4.5 ponies reek of a horrible plastic smell that makes it hard for me to even be around them.

Anyway I hope this helps. Good luck with scent removal!

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal