collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have I mentioned this community is great?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline kid80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Have I mentioned this community is great?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 09:18:06 PM »
What a wonderful thread to start, Cobblestone!

I'm relatively new here--maybe a year or so. The first summer of the pandemic, I dug out my childhood collection (G1'S) and I was just completely elated to rediscover all my ponies--doing their hair, organizing them into little families, or by pose, or color, or symbol... However, after 30+ years in storage I realized some of them needed some concentrated TLC. In researching restoration I discovered this community. It has been a true treasure trove! People are incredibly knowledgeable and genuinely helpful.

While other sites do provide some great content on restoration, what I value here is the ability to ask a specific question and receive helpful responses pretty quickly. It's also been fun geeking out on quirky pony stuff with actual other people.

And, more generally, it just makes me happy to know that there are other people out there who appreciate the ponies as much as I do.  :good: :lovey:

Oh and the old skool pony emojis are solid gold.

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 10:50:03 PM »
We tracked them, but Lexi and . . . Roy?  wasn't one of them named Roy? . . . got away with a loooot.  As a community we were far too forgiving.  Lexi definitely came back several times after crying crocodile tears about how sorry she was (but not sorry enough to refund anyone's money, lol).  Sometimes even longtime community members would end their stay with a huge, dramatic scam.  It was crazy. 

eBay was so risky in those days too because they had no way of forcing a seller to return money;  so periodically you'd have a seller just take all the money orders and disappear into the mists.  I remember sending $20 for a "MOC Love Letter Pony" and praying that the auction--which had no picture--was legit.

Lexi has the second most amount of banned ID's here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 12:15:18 AM »
I don't post here too often but I'm always happy to see the forums and active people.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 08:23:51 AM »
We tracked them, but Lexi and . . . Roy?  wasn't one of them named Roy? . . . got away with a loooot.  As a community we were far too forgiving.  Lexi definitely came back several times after crying crocodile tears about how sorry she was (but not sorry enough to refund anyone's money, lol).  Sometimes even longtime community members would end their stay with a huge, dramatic scam.  It was crazy. 

eBay was so risky in those days too because they had no way of forcing a seller to return money;  so periodically you'd have a seller just take all the money orders and disappear into the mists.  I remember sending $20 for a "MOC Love Letter Pony" and praying that the auction--which had no picture--was legit.

That doesn't surprise me.
Baby Bouncy is one that sticks in my mind too, as she'd do a legit trade with a few people to get a good reputation then scam on the second deal. That was a lot harder to police.

In fairness to not being swept away by nostalgia, my worst ever experience with ponypeople happened in 1999-2000ish. It's the one and only time I've received actual threats of violence from a pony collector. I was stalked by these people for about a year, and they spread a lot of lies about me and my family as well. I don't post at the TP any more because the mods at the time there did nothing to stop this happening on their site. The mods have changed now but the whole experience was so traumatic I just didn't want to go back.

But on balance, and in spite of that experience, the fact we can still remember specific names of the scammers back then demonstrates there weren't massive numbers of them. And even in a world which, as you say, LM, was high risk. We were dealing with an international pony trade situation in a time before there was paypal, after all.

There was a lot of taking a chance over things. I know I sent $US cash for a whole lot of MOC ponies in the early days. MOC Glory and Medley for something like $30 each?  And trades were also high risk as you had so few photo options. You'd have to develop an image or stick the pony in the scanner like a torture device. Most auctions didn't have images, or had poor ones. But I got yellow Minty that way, and I also got alt Susie because nobody else realised her pose was wrong. Now, people would know instantly, because photos online are so co,mmon. But at the time they weren't, and UK ponies were still relativelty unknown, so people didn't spot her.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »
I just find it so wierd that people would be really into ponies and also not care if they cause bad vibes with other collectors...

I got scammed once, by a neighbour who was my sister's age, but that was in person. She swapped some of my Perfume Puff Palace accessories for a Mummy Charm with pony cancer. I didn't know what it was back then and I've been looking for those mesh scarves ever since! Also I think she got our Waterfall bubbles bottle too and I have NEVER seen one for sale online :mad:

I don't know how I arrived here. I think I was maybe trying to find out which ponies were sold in the UK, because I only ever saw half of them when I was a kid.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 02:31:01 PM »
I think UK G1 distribution was...I'm going to say 'interesting'.

There were definitely sets I never saw as a kid, but I know they came out here because they were in the argos catalogue and I found them at carboot sales. Like big brother ponies. I NEVER saw them in stores, only mountain boys.

We had a local collector here who was a bit of a brat, but she had a rough family situation. Her folks split up and her ponies got sold off in the end. Her Dad said she didn't want them any more, but I don't know. She did used to wave ponies in our face if she got to them first, but she was just a kid.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 08:20:35 PM »

Ha! You didn't ask who is first!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 12:42:45 AM »

Ha! You didn't ask who is first!

...It's not Roy?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 04:38:13 PM »
Special shout out to sellers/traders for being so professional. I don’t think I’ve ever had a late shipment or any funny business without legit reason and great communication from the seller.

*flashbacks to the 90s, full of people lying to scam plastic ponies*  I guess we rooted some of the bad ones out early, lol!  Things were pretty crazy before Paypal existed!

I love all the devotion / resources for restoring ponies, so much love and care for our little plastic friends. <3
that’s fair. I know there are some bad eggs and we have a mighty list of them, but I still trust most people on here and I know if I’m having issues I can ask around and get genuine responses.
Plus I really do have better luck in the g1 community than anywhere else. Even if someone isn’t here, if they deal in ponies things tend to go well.
My dive into Breyer offshoots has been less than stellar in some respects.
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2022, 11:16:40 PM »
Bumping this thread because I am so grateful to be able to come here and talk to people from all over the world especially with some of the big stuff happening globally right now. But also those every day things like health and family that affect us all. And when I get some time to switch off for a while and think about collecting, here it all is! It's good to share.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal