collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinions on choosing a base!  (Read 1050 times)

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Opinions on choosing a base!
« on: December 01, 2021, 12:49:13 AM »
Hi all, I'm working on starting the next part of my little-brothers-grown-up project, and I would like to do Leaper. Obviously there's no green big brothers already available, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on options for modifying a base. I see one of two options:
1. Get a bait Tex (or white blank from HQG1C when available...) and dye.
2. Get a pepper jack from HQG1C and use that.

Obviously even finding the nastiest bait Tex will still cost me. But I worry that  pepper jack is simply TOO green. I also am *not* confident in my dying skills... I've not had very much success with it in the past. Pepper jack vs. Leaper for comparison. Opinions?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wishlist

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Opinions on choosing a base!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 06:24:18 AM »
Is there a reason you can't use paint?

I agree that Pepper Jack is too green for Leaper. Plus Tex has that pose with his hoof turned, like Leaper.

What did you use when you've dyed in the past? I've only ever used powdered RIT. I did get a couple bad results but most were successful and the dye is still stable after 10+ years. I hear RIT Dyemore is much better for plastics though but I don't think they have the same range of colors as the powder.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 06:33:48 AM »
I am by no means an expert on dye, but I can tell you a little about my experience dyeing a green pony. I made a thread about it a few months back...it's probably locked by now but you might still be able to view it. I was (well, still am!) trying to make a custom Mimic out of an HQG1C base. I have tried multiple dyes, and can't seem to get her to turn a shade that isn't a 'minty' green. I don't own Baby Leaper, so I don't know how his exact shade compares to other green ponies, but he seems to be a yellow green (maybe similar to Baby Frosting, I'm guessing?). I have been sunfading my HQG1C for months to try to get rid of some of the blue tones in the dye, and it's working a little, but I'm probably going to have to do a quick dip in a yellow dye bath to get a Mimic color, and Baby Leaper looks like a more saturated color than Mimic. You might be best off going for a Tex base. Do you have a yellow bait pony you can experiment with, a common bait that doesn't cost as much before investing in a baity Tex?

I think Pepper Jack is too dark and too green to get the color you are after, unless you are okay with having him be a different green than the baby...some baby ponies aren't exactly like their mother, i.e. Baby Cotton Candy is lighter than her mother. You could always paint his frog symbol a lighter shade than his base color, sort of a reverse color scheme from the baby!

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 09:16:00 AM »
Is there a reason you can't use paint?

I agree that Pepper Jack is too green for Leaper. Plus Tex has that pose with his hoof turned, like Leaper.

What did you use when you've dyed in the past? I've only ever used powdered RIT. I did get a couple bad results but most were successful and the dye is still stable after 10+ years. I hear RIT Dyemore is much better for plastics though but I don't think they have the same range of colors as the powder.

I could paint, but I prefer the most "natural" factory look possible. I've had some success with airbrushing ponies before, but I worry about getting a consistent color all over, ponies have a few awkward nooks and crannies. I think I used the liquid RIT dye in the past, they always sorta come out grungy and dingy looking.

wishlist

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 11:02:53 AM »
Dyemore can work although the only times I've used it were on ponies where I was bringing them to an extreme color like very dark blue or from white to brown. I do worry about how well dyeing would work with such a small shift. Not to mention dye can often fade a bit in the months since the initial bath.

Airbrushes work just fine so long as you use thin layers and keep your paint color consistent. I would really suggest that if you're going for that color. Otherwise, Pepper Jack does seem too green and trying with Tex would be your best bet.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 02:31:27 AM »
What about Slugger? There is more than one blue and more than one yellow around. E.g. maybe sunset yellow rather than lemon? Will make froggy green? Idk. Also, Slugger often has cancer but cleaning and drying a pony can stabilise plastic breakdown for a few years so that might increase your options.

Only not Slugger! I meant the American Football one lol. He's blue  :blush:

Post Merge: December 02, 2021, 02:44:33 AM

Quarterback! Also has the curly hair. I also noticed that 4-speed is lighter blue so might be better if you want to re-hair in the yellow as well. Personally I would wait around for a full bait of either of those.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 02:48:10 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 05:46:51 AM »
I could paint, but I prefer the most "natural" factory look possible. I've had some success with airbrushing ponies before, but I worry about getting a consistent color all over, ponies have a few awkward nooks and crannies. I think I used the liquid RIT dye in the past, they always sorta come out grungy and dingy looking.

If you have an airbrush I would suggest painting. If you need to mix your own paint to get the color just make sure you make enough - or if you do happen to find you'll be running out, save the last bit to paint match a new batch.

As far as awkward places, it just depends on how you handle the pony. I've been wanting to get one of these to hold them while I paint. In the meantime I just stick a paintbrush handle into the tailhole and hold it by that.

If you aren't satisfied with the dye job, you can always paint over it too. There might be a chance the dye would leech through the paint, but I personally, have never had that happen, but I let dyed baits sit for a month or so before actually using them.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »
I agree painting is the way to go. I originally dyed a bait wigwam red to make a Big Macintosh and even after curing for a year still bled thru the hoofs and eyes so I also say get a tex bait and paint him the perfect leaper green ya need :-)

fun project !

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 05:35:25 PM »
What about Slugger? There is more than one blue and more than one yellow around. E.g. maybe sunset yellow rather than lemon? Will make froggy green? Idk. Also, Slugger often has cancer but cleaning and drying a pony can stabilise plastic breakdown for a few years so that might increase your options.

Quarterback! Also has the curly hair. I also noticed that 4-speed is lighter blue so might be better if you want to re-hair in the yellow as well. Personally I would wait around for a full bait of either of those.
I think for dying it's easier to go from light>dark, afaik it's nearly impossible to go dark>light. Leapers kind of a yellowy green so I think quarterback with yellow dye would end up too dark. Maybe not though 🤷

wishlist

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 10:40:16 PM »

I think for dying it's easier to go from light>dark, afaik it's nearly impossible to go dark>light. Leapers kind of a yellowy green so I think quarterback with yellow dye would end up too dark. Maybe not though 🤷

Yes I'm sure you're right. Maybe go for 4-speed then. And ask around more for help with dying plastics. We can't even buy dyes for synthetics in the UK very easily, but I have seen some USA people get great results with Rit dye designed for nylon and acrylic fabrics. I would say it's down to chemistry and personally I'd prefer a well-dyed pony to a full body re-paint (fbr). I'd settle for having less control over the colour in return for a more 'natural' look.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »
I would paint a white pony to match Leaper's color, but not everyone likes the full repaint look... if that's a deal-breaker for you, I would buy the green bait rather than trying to dye a bait - I know lots of people do it, but I live in a humid climate and I've stopped using dye because it tends to leak and slowly stain...

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 09:38:53 AM »
I always liked how baby Moondancer and Glory weren’t exact replicas of there moms.  I wish Hasbro did this with more of the babies.  I think a darker Leaper dad would be great, but you’re wanting a grown Leaper, not his daddy, so I’m not much help lol!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal