collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: LOL Girls  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
LOL Girls
« on: November 21, 2021, 05:44:30 PM »
My 8 year old niece used to really like MLP but now she loves LOL Girls... they look to me like kinda nonsense... can anyone reassure me? I am not sure I want to spend money on these for her Christmas present.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: LOL Girls
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »
Not a fan of the look myself, the eyes are too big and the mouth/nose is too centered in the face. I do see the appeal though, unlike current MLP, it looks like there's tons of variety and therefore, collectability, and there's some fun designs for them. The LOL OMG dolls look very well made and I'd be tempted to get some of them myself if it weren't for the faces. :lol: Playline doll collectors like OMGs as well because of the variety and high quality, something you don't get from Barbie. I've heard the fashion is all very on-trend and fashionable, whereas Barbie is stuck in the early-mid 2010s with some of their outfits. :P

Of course, this is all hearsay, I'm not big on dolls, but I do hear what others are saying from time to time.

I remember when Shopkins was big, but only for a little while, then LOL took over and it hasn't slowed down since. I'm surprised it's been this popular for so long. I think the collectability is the big draw, all of the big trendy toys tend to lean in on that. Maybe MLP should take note? Imagine more than 3-10 pony characters being made in a 10-year period!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »
I'm not into the regular LOL dolls, they aren't really my thing. But I do love and own a few of the OMGs. I appreciate the level of detail they put into their clothes. Small things like real looking buttons, zippers, and whatnot is always very appealing to me in a fashion doll.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 01:42:52 AM »
The idea behind the LOL dolls is very clever - variety, collectability, on-trend fashions, "surprises" to unwrap. The first 5 minutes of play is what it's all about - unwrapping each layer to see what you get. Pure thrills for the kids!

However, the doll faces! They all look so angry to me! Attitude! Turn your back & they'll beat up your other toys lol.
A lot of kids at my girl's school are into them, though. I don't think you can go wrong buying them, but as an adult, I don't find the actual end-product appealing.  :cool:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 04:05:10 AM »
I'm just annoyed they create so much waste, all those little things to unwrap.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 07:04:14 AM »
Now I think of it, a lot of them do seem to look surprised, hurt, angry or complainy. It is odd, but then apparently Peppa Pig was also a bit rude? I don't know why parents would encourage this. Maybe I'm just out of touch. I agree about the packaging!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 08:48:34 AM »
I think they're cute and have several.  I recommend getting the "present surprise" versions as they come in cardboard and paper to cut down on waste.  Personally, I would get a kid something I know they like rather than something I'd prefer them to like... unless it was actually dangerous or something.  :P
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
I would agree with Brightberry. I mean, I am sure my grandparents were confused about buying me ponies all the time when I was a kid, but they always did it, because they knew I loved them. I think LOL girls are weird but there are much worse toys. The packaging is a bit of a pain but even so, I think I'd just go for it :)

Peppa Pig has become a whole other level of notorious now of course ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
My niece also wishes these as a Christmas present. :nope: His father hoped these would not be bought as gifts, precisely because of its awful amount of rubbish and small easily drowning items. I agree with him on that and I don’t really like them anyway. Weird looking dolls.  :blink:
However, I bought her an L.O.L themed drawing bag that contains a lot of markers, crayons, colored pencils, a sharpener and an eraser. :)

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 06:04:52 AM »
I would agree with Brightberry. I mean, I am sure my grandparents were confused about buying me ponies all the time when I was a kid, but they always did it, because they knew I loved them. I think LOL girls are weird but there are much worse toys. The packaging is a bit of a pain but even so, I think I'd just go for it :)

Peppa Pig has become a whole other level of notorious now of course ;)

I am so out of touch

Post Merge: November 27, 2021, 06:05:11 AM

My niece also wishes these as a Christmas present. :nope: His father hoped these would not be bought as gifts, precisely because of its awful amount of rubbish and small easily drowning items. I agree with him on that and I don’t really like them anyway. Weird looking dolls.  :blink:
However, I bought her an L.O.L themed drawing bag that contains a lot of markers, crayons, colored pencils, a sharpener and an eraser. :)

Thank you that's a really smart idea!

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 12:29:26 AM »
I love LOL Surprise (and their big OMG sisters, and medium BTW dolls haha), they're super fun and strewn with pop culture references!
They're making sincere efforts to cut down on waste, even the plastic ball packaging is able to be recycled :heart:
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 02:38:57 AM »
Those things are horrid they look so weird! And a lot of them look quite “lady of the nightish” plus all the plastic waste they have in the boxes! I wouldn’t waste my money on them.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »
And a lot of them look quite “lady of the nightish”

Tbh I hate that kind of description since to me if anything they look more like drag queens. And since tbh I'm not the biggest fan of anything "human baby" (the maternal instinct skipped me sadly) I think of them as cartoony "little people" dressed in drag.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 07:23:04 AM »
See what I mean! Even this conversation is getting strange because they just trigger wierd thoughts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal