collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What paints does everybody use?  (Read 888 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
What paints does everybody use?
« on: November 21, 2021, 07:14:00 AM »
I'm just curious and thought it would make a nice discussion :)

Mainly I use Createx airbrush paints. Obviously, I use them in my airbrush but I also just paint with them. They're thin and have a vinyl look to them when they're dry. Because of that, I don't like to use white and black for FBR. Instead I like Apple Barrel as it's matte. Createx has a bunch of effects paints like pearl and fluorescent. I love the white pearl and use it a lot.

I have old paint that is mostly a mix of Apple Barrel and Folk Art that I will use too. Folk Art metallics are nice. They sell color shifting paint too but I can never get my hands on it.

Recently I bought some Arteza color shift paint that is pretty cool :) The black shifts to gold which is really neat. It works better on a dark background I found. It's my first time buying (or even hearing of, if I'm honest) Arteza but the paint is nice.

I've had more expensive acrylics at times when I used to paint landscapes. I think craft paint is fine for most things.

My GitD paints are latex. They're quite thick and you really can't water them down but I have used them on ponies a few times. I really like them because they came in different colors. I think the place I bought them from went out of business :huh:

What's your go-to paint? :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What paints does everybody use?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 09:16:55 AM »
Oooo, that color shift paint sounds really cool indeed!  I've never tried anything like that.  Is it just for airbrush or can you brush it on?  Interesting - I just got some new metallic paint and they also recommended using it on a dark background.  I wonder why that is.  I haven't done much experimenting with it yet.

I pretty much only buy Vallejo these days (my cousin's shop sells them), but I bought Apple Barrel and Folk Art and similar craft acrylics in the past, and Games Workshop, and I still use what I have left of those.  I'm not super picky, really!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 02:21:54 AM »
I use Golden and liquitex acrylics and Jaquard Lumiere paints.  I used to use a lot of Folk art and Apple barrel, but I'm finding out that some of those colors degrade and change over time :c 

I have used Vallejo on a few projects and it's sooooo nice.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »
I haven't done a custom in a while but I would use the same supplies as I do for face ups. Which is prisma and faber castell water color pencils mungyo soft pastels, arteza gouache, some shimmer powders and acrylic paints from apple barrel and similar brands as well as liquitex that I borrowed from my mom's paints.(with permission).
A few years back Hannah and I did a private swap with our friend BethMcBeth and Hannah and I made Beth ornaments out of McDonald's ponies and I had a lot of fun using mediums that I'd not used on ponies before.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 04:41:56 PM »
I use Apple Barrel, FolkArt and Liquitex acrylics, DuraClear matte sealant, and some glossy DuraClear for the eyes. My paint is ancient but it still works well! :3
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 07:13:11 AM »
For metallic/glitter symbols I've been using DecoArt Extreme Sheen acrylic and have had really good luck with it. For everything else I just use whatever I have on hand from the craft store...Apple Barrel or whatever. I've had a hard time finding acrylic paints lately; seems like the shelves at our Hobby Lobby are really empty and they never seem to have the color I need, so sometimes I have to improvise.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
I just use whatever acrylics I have on hand at the moment. I like how acrylic handles, and it’s cheap and easy for me to find. I would like to try citadel paints for my miniatures someday though.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »
*furiously taking notes*

I’m glad the water color pencils and pastels came up. I’ve been curious if that could be done with ponies.
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 10:07:15 AM »
I use Vallejo Model Colour, and Vallejo Game Colour Acrylic paints

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 10:46:26 AM »
I just use whatever acrylics I have on hand at the moment. I like how acrylic handles, and it’s cheap and easy for me to find. I would like to try citadel paints for my miniatures someday though.

I think Citadel and Games Workshop are the same brand.  I liked them quite a bit, I used them for Transformers kitbashing and miniatures as well as ponies.  Really liked their metal colors.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal