collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is your favorite type of music?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
What is your favorite type of music?
« on: November 16, 2021, 07:00:03 AM »
I don't think we've had a thread that asks this directly?

*If you post a video to a song please make sure it's Arena friendly*

So what do you normally listen to?

Me, I'm a metalhead \m/ and always have been. I like mainstream stuff but my favorites are death metal and industrial metal. My favorite band is called Septicflesh but their name doesn't really do them justice :lol: They play with an orchestra and choir and most of their songs are about mythology. Like Anubis.

I like other types of music too but only in small doses. The only kinds of music I don't like at all are modern country, rap and religious music.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite type of music?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 07:17:31 AM »
Not sure I have a favorite type.  I like music from most genres but it's rare for me to like the majority or all of the music from a specific group/artist.  The only group that I have almost all the CDs from is Off Kilter.  They used to perform at Disney World at the Canada Pavilion in EPCOT but I'm not sure that they still do.  They're kind of a rock group with a bagpipe.  They describe themselves as "Celtic music with a twist."  They do jigs and folk tales like Irish Rover and Mary Mac and also some more popular stuff like Amazing Grace and Danny Boy but they're rocked out so it's fun.  My favorite CD of theirs is titled Celtic Armadillo.  You can listen to their music on their site.  It's all G-rated.

https://offkilterrocks.com/

Ooh, looks like they're doing an Irish tour in 2022. And it looks like they've got another CD out I might have to get. 

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
Honestly, I love most all kinds of music. I grew up with folk music, my parents' old records, classical music, musicals...a whole range. I didn't get into chart music till I went to secondary school (age 11) and then my sister and I used to listen to that a lot. I have music in different languages, from all kinds of things. Movie songs. Anime songs. Theme songs. Old songs. New songs.  I have a lot of playlists.

I'm not massive on rnb and hiphop, never have been, but there are some exceptions to that.

I guess I do like real instruments, and am more rock orientated than cheesy pop in general, but more than anything I love people who can sing well, or captivating lyrics, or...and this is the bit that's hard to explain but hopefully someone will get me - that moment when the music makes your heart skip because of how beautifully the sounds go together.

I'm massively music motivated, though. To the point I might be a bit odd about it. Singing is also a hobby of mine so songs that are fun to sing also feature on my list of music.

Some random obscure things from among my playlists that people probably won't know. (all site safe, not all in English).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao1g_8vaNbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-YD5Szao68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMTVLP7sAw

Looking at my playlists on this PC right now though, most of the things are either in Japanese/Chinese or are rock or on that wavelength.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 08:44:58 PM »
I listen to all sorts of various genres, but my favorite is absolutely progressive rock and progressive metal. I think it's a lot of fun to listen to. Bands like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Haken, The Dear Hunter, Between the Buried and Me, Jethro Tull, Thank You Scientist. I also really love King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard who are primarily psychedelic rock, but a bit prog adjacent. Here's a few songs:

Genesis - Supper's Ready
Yes - Close to the Edge
Between the Buried and Me - Fix The Error
Thank You Scientist - "Anchor"
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - "The River"

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 06:14:02 AM »
I have quite a few favorite music genres, both pop and classical. I'll give examples with them. =)

On the pop side, my favorite genres are Classic R&B/Soul (as in, from 70s and before), 70s Soft Rock, British Folk/Rock, Progressive Rock/Psychedelic Rock, and Baroque Pop.

On the classical side, my favorites are medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classic, French Impressionism, and some later works.

|My Collection|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 07:12:47 AM »
Then you might like Nova Era, Harmonie.  They're a classically trained group that plays the classic with modern rhythm. Their version of Pachelbel's Canon is one of my favorites.  They also used to perform at Disney World (in what is now Disney Springs) and they dressed up in FOP costume while playing their electric instruments  It was fabulous.  The link will take you to their Virtuosi CD to sample their songs.  From there  you can check out their site and other music.

https://www.novaeramusic.com/copy-of-millennio

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 02:51:02 PM »
Goodness I listen to a lot of things. These days I stick to indie / alt rock, prog rock, electronic, and pop. My favorite band is Los Campesinos! and they're a british band who have transitioned genre's quite a bit over the years. I even listen to fandom music, especially Vylet Pony.

I grew up on classic and alt rock though, so I'm fairly familiar with most bands. I enjoy a lot of 90's country, 80's pop, and funk and disco. Also Japanese disco and funk lol

Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 07:23:54 PM »
I love 80's and 90's country music.  I also love showtunes (if they're from a favorite musical) and Disney songs.  I have a lot of different music on my iPod though.  I'm not a big fan of rap or heavy metal music.  Through anime I fell in love with a lot of Japanese songs.

I guess I do like real instruments, and am more rock orientated than cheesy pop in general, but more than anything I love people who can sing well, or captivating lyrics, or...and this is the bit that's hard to explain but hopefully someone will get me - that moment when the music makes your heart skip because of how beautifully the sounds go together.

I know what you mean.  I think that's why I fell in love with so many songs in Japanese.  I can't understand the words but the songs still speak to me.

This is the first song that I downloaded in Japanese.  "I'm Going Down' from Sailor Moon Crystal.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qtXtDd60Q

This is another song in Japanese. "Sora ga Aozora de aru Tame ni" by GLAY  I don't think I can listen to this one without a smile on my face.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agF2190uQjk

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 05:10:41 AM »
Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing :)

I listen to all sorts of various genres, but my favorite is absolutely progressive rock and progressive metal. I think it's a lot of fun to listen to. Bands like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Haken, The Dear Hunter, Between the Buried and Me, Jethro Tull, Thank You Scientist. I also really love King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard who are primarily psychedelic rock, but a bit prog adjacent. Here's a few songs:

Genesis - Supper's Ready
Yes - Close to the Edge
Between the Buried and Me - Fix The Error
Thank You Scientist - "Anchor"
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - "The River"

Nice. I like prog too but am not aware of many bands. My favorite is probably Behold... the Arctopus though they're more avant-garde, they definitely have a proggy flavor.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 07:48:49 PM »
Hard to say since I usually listen to all kinds of different music genres (as anyone who's seen my posts in the song thread can tell), but I tend to gravitate towards different types of rock and metal, although I also love all kinds of electronic music, jazz, blues, classical (mostly of the piano variety, like Satie, Chopin or Debussy), movie score, experimental, new age, rap, J-pop/K-pop, oldies from all decades up to 2000s, sometimes even modern pop although not often, and who knows what else. My most recent musical fixations have been songs from Initial D (although I never cared about the anime itself) and instrumental piano pieces by Myuu, which many people probably recognize from background music in all those creepypastas. I also like to collect music on vinyl and CD, here's a selected part of my collection:

Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 08:25:11 PM »
I'm a little Swancore fan! It's hard to describe Swancore so I did a hyperlink to a nice playlist! For a more general term, I guess it would be post hardcore/pop punk/math rock?? Of course my favorite band (probably ever) is Dance Gavin Dance, which is featured a LOT in the playlist I provided, since the guitarist basically started it with his record label.

I also enjoy metal, rock, math rock, indie rock/folk, vaporwave, 2000s Eurobeat/Eurodance, and vocal synths (Vocaloids and UTAUs).

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 01:57:02 AM »
Wow what a question!

Music is like a mood to me - so my current "fave" will change constantly.

Can't go wrong with a decent beat - ska is so much fun. Also funk. Cheesy disco! Rock, Britpop, Indie - they are my mainstays.

70s Elton John - some gorgeous stuff there. Ditto Kate Bush, Billy Joel.

Electronica: Air, Daft Punk, Portishead, even 80s New Wave.

I often listen to classical piano - rousing, fast pieces by Chopin & Liszt.

If it evokes an EMOTION, then I like it!  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
I like Chopin and Debussy :) I also have Gustav Holst's The Planets by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on CD. It's my favorite version because it's punched up and beefier :lol:

Also, I cannot believe someone gave Darude Sandstorm as a legit answer to a legit question :lol:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »
I usually like songs that sound unique. I never really listened to music that much until I started listening to it while doing art. I usually avoid playlists mostly the ones that have calming music in them because after listening to playlists for a while everything sounds too similar. Most of the time I end up liking songs with beat drops and will sometimes return to a song just to listen to that certain part. I also ended up listening to a lot of Japanese music and vocaloid music and got into classical music while learning to play piano.

Offline lmcdonald17

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 04:31:10 PM »
I like a lot of different genres of music, although I wouldn't say all of them. I like a lot of mainstream stuff, and alternative pop\rock music. I like some grunge but mostly post grunge, pop punk, classic rock, rock ballads, pop rock, and just almost any kind of alternative rock or pop :happy:!
 I used to consider myself a scene girl as a preteen even though I think I may not have been as edgy in my music tastes as I thought I was. :blush:

I also love alternative Christian rock, R&B, soul, bubblegum pop, electropop, new wave, folk music, jazz (preferably live), vaporwave, and movie soundtracks. As you can see, I go all over the place. 
returning pony collector  ;)

:work:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal