collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Resin Moulds & Hasbro Design Patents  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Resin Moulds & Hasbro Design Patents
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 07:20:40 PM »
The only cease-and-desists I've heard of is Hasbro sending a C&D to the "MLP Fighting Is Magic" video game, which the creators foolishly took to E3 or Pax (can't remember which.)  At that point Hasbro basically HAD to act, to assert themselves and protect their brand.  (On that note, if any well-meaning person says "You should just ask Hasbro for permission :)", IGNORE THEM.  That is bad advice.  Once you directly bring your activities to Hasbro's attention, they have to act against you to protect their IP.

I believe a plush maker received a C&D because of their unsavory nature which had reached memetic proportions, apparently a body pillow seller also received one. Other C&Ds were related to digital media, not physical materials. There may be more recent examples related to actual physical touchy things, but these are some I found from poking around.

I agree, that's a bit ick. However, this thread is so interesting. I love all the dreamers creating new G1 ponies.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 07:23:05 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online aria_elwen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »
What kind of name is Hynkel?

I'd assume it's a reference to Hynkel from the Chaplin film 'The Great Dictator'. Hynkel was the eponymous dictator based upon Hitler and seeing as Megatron is often called a dictator/conqueror/megalomaniac it's actually quite a suitable name.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »

I'd assume it's a reference to Hynkel from the Chaplin film 'The Great Dictator'. Hynkel was the eponymous dictator based upon Hitler and seeing as Megatron is often called a dictator/conqueror/megalomaniac it's actually quite a suitable name.

OMG, I actually didn't know this--thank you!  I thought it was just a collection of sounds they put together at random!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 12:52:05 PM »

I did not know that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2021, 05:18:38 AM »
Fire Helix does packaging but it doesn't try to imitate Hasbro and it uses his own art. His ponies are insanely popular too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »
Fire Helix does packaging but it doesn't try to imitate Hasbro and it uses his own art. His ponies are insanely popular too.
Damn their work is quite impressive. If I had the extra funds I would try to snap up a few. I love ponies that look like part of the original line (this packaging really gets the g1 vibe too imo).

I’m dying to know where people are coming up with their eye stamps. The look is so crisp.
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »
Ah I remember Fighting is Magic. Would have been such a cool game, I actually played a demo of it with some friends at a furry con some years back. A shame it never got finished but they did manage an original spiritual successor with character designs by Faust so not all is lost.

WRT plush makers; The person who got C&D'd was making literal thousands on their plushes if memory serves. Their work was understandably ridiculously popular and I was among a fan of theirs. They would put plushes on Ebay and bidding wars ensued. I think they had the word Dove in their name? I wish I could remember for sure, I wonder if some of their plushes are in circulation today...
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »
Yeah, the Fighting Is Magic game looked really cool.  I remember Twilight's sprite levitated a book and used it to whack people, lol.  It wasn't gory or anything . . . I think Hasbro would have ignored it if the creators hadn't thrust it into the limelight.

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 01:58:17 PM »

I love Fire Helix ponies, they're so good. And the packaging is as you say original :)

Someone did encounter a trouble once so I wanted to mention
DONT BOX IT and NO PACKAGES
IDK how these TFs are getting away with boxes but I do remember years back someone was doing customs and packaging them in faux-g3 boxes and they got whacked. For whatever reason packaging things attracts a lot of negative attention so just leave the customs loose for safety.

This was Aikarin, right? (for anyone looking for a MLP internet nostalgia trip, her site is still up!) I think she did G3 esque packaging while g3 was still going.
I remember I was very inspired by her work when I started customizing and re-did a g3 box for a custom I made for a friend xD Could have been someone else, though, I have to look for my old binder with print-outs of websites' customizing tips & tricks. I'm sure there's a picture of a boxed custom in there.
http://www.aikarin.com/mlp/customs/customgallery.html

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 03:55:28 AM »
Someone did encounter a trouble once so I wanted to mention
DONT BOX IT and NO PACKAGES
IDK how these TFs are getting away with boxes but I do remember years back someone was doing customs and packaging them in faux-g3 boxes and they got whacked. For whatever reason packaging things attracts a lot of negative attention so just leave the customs loose for safety.

Aah that was Aikaren wasn't it?!
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 10:36:44 AM »
So in light of this conversation, I found these tweets funny / relevant.

Context:

Starscream, Megatron, Prowl and Optimus are modeled from Hasbro toys or toys licensed by Hasbro (like the Flame Toys model kit).

But MMC Rumble or Frenzy (the blue one) is based on a toy by Mastermind Creations ("Furor" or "Riot"), not licensed by Hasbro.

Devastator (big green robot) is based on Toyworlds "Constructor", also not licensed / made by Hasbro.

I don't know if the artist works full-time for Hasbro, maybe they were just commissioned and had those toys in their collection, but it is pretty funny IMO.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal