collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's talk pony hair!  (Read 920 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Let's talk pony hair!
« on: November 11, 2021, 08:22:21 AM »
Hello everyone,

The fun thing about ponies is that they are so versatile. They have fun colours, poses, breeds and symbols.

One of my favourite things about them is their hair. Especially g1 ponies. The texture and colours are amazing and one of my favourite sets is the brush and grow set.

So, what are your thouggts on pony hair.

Any favourite hairdoes?
A fan of tinsel or not?
Which gen has the best hair in your opinion?

Let's discuss!

Cheers,

Luke
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk pony hair!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 08:49:35 AM »
I like the variety we got in G1 and I wish they’d done more like the perfume puffs(has anyone ever figured out what hair they used for this?), but color combo wise I like what I saw in g2 and g3 a lot. I feel like g2 gave us the purple and yellow combo and some blue and orange, while g3 just ran with it. I also appreciate the addition of more tri color manes in g3.

I have zero experience with customs but if I ever attempt any I want to adapt some 2s and 3s to g1 style.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
I agree that G1 had the best variety. G3 has the best colors, imo.

My favorite is Perfume Puff hair in good condition, the UK ponies that have horizontal colors in their mane and the Great Hair ponies :) I think the Rockin Beats also had crimped hair? As someone who wore crimped hair as a kid, they make me smile. The horizontal manes are really cool and wish they had done more of that, and nice PP hair is fun to play with :P

Not a fan of tinsel and have de-tinseled several G3s.

Hmm. Color changing hair was all the rage in the 90s, but do any MLP have it? I don't think so. I wonder why Hasbro didn't jump on that wagon. No, the seaponies have color changing hair, as does Dutch Cat. Any others?

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 09:33:47 AM »
G3 has my favorite as well. I love how vibrant the colors are. G5 hair is nice as well. I really like how it feels. Not a fan of tinsel, though. It looks nice in pics, but it can be hard to tame. As for hairstyles, I love seeing ponies in braids!

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
I wish they’d done more like the perfume puffs(has anyone ever figured out what hair they used for this?)

Not exactly but the Candylocks dolls had hair that felt nearly identical.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 03:04:17 PM »

Hmm. Color changing hair was all the rage in the 90s, but do any MLP have it? I don't think so. I wonder why Hasbro didn't jump on that wagon. No, the seaponies have color changing hair, as does Dutch Cat. Any others?

The seaside baby ponies also have a streak of colour change in their hair (from heat) and the sunshine ponies in the sunshine. Also the erm...sundazzle ponies have streaks of it too I think?

The Sundazzles are also crimpy I think. Only Sweet Notes from the Rockin Beats is though. Crimpy hair was definitely an 80s/90s thing, wasn't it O.o.

Perfume Puff hair is amazing. I love it, it's so relaxing to groom. People are so mean about it but it's lovely.

I love pony hair, I won't lie. As a kid Braided Beauty had alllll kinds of things done to her hair (except cutting!) and I won't pretend that I'd not like hundreds of brush and grows if I had the space so I could style them all...xD. I do have more than I need to, I admit it. I love their hair.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 03:07:43 PM »
The Watercolor baby sea ponies also have color changing hair.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 04:55:49 PM »
Generally I prefer it when the hair's short enough to keep off the floor. Looks tidier that way and is less likely to get caught under other ponies' hooves.

I like tinsel when it behaves. :P If it's overly crinkly and scuzzy, I'm not a fan. I also like it better when it's blended in with/laid over regular hair as opposed to when they replace entire sections of hair with tinsel.

G3.5 hair is amazing. :lovey: So nicely rooted and silky!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 05:11:04 PM »
I really like G3's hair color combinations, they're so interesting and varied. My favorite hair blend is probably G3 Sweetie Belle's, it's just so pretty. I also really love G3 iridescent tinsel, I don't usually have problems with it in the same way other people complain. G3.5 is another favorite for hair.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
I agree that g3.5 hair has great texture and g3 have great colours. I love all pony hair but not when ribbon or pipe cleaners are added. The Galaxy style hair was always tricky along with the forelock on a lot of Lemon Drop. Galaxy and Beach Ball usually get a French plait.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 03:54:45 AM »
I guess there are more color changing hair ponies than I thought :)

What about Greek hair? I've never felt it but it always looks so nice and shiny and soft.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 04:02:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

The fun thing about ponies is that they are so versatile. They have fun colours, poses, breeds and symbols.

One of my favourite things about them is their hair. Especially g1 ponies. The texture and colours are amazing and one of my favourite sets is the brush and grow set.

Any favourite hairdoes?
A fan of tinsel or not?

Let's discuss!

Cheers,

Luke

Ah, hair...I think my favorite hairstyle is the generic G1 hairstyle seen on the original collector's set, with a normal length tail and a fairly short mane with a gentle curve around the neck, and a forelock.  It seems very horsey, and I rarely incorporated grooming as part of my play (except braiding tails, sometimes).

As for hair colors, I agree that G3 had some really lovely color combos!

Tinsel...I don't feel strongly one way or another about it.  It is a struggle if it is in poor condition, but I think it is cool when it is in good shape  :cool:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 07:27:00 AM »
I have a questin for KingLuke: if you really liked a pony but not the hair (for me it's Birthday Pony) would you seek a hair bait and have an alt re-hair in your collection?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline qwertybirdy

• Magic Motion Pony
  • The true name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »
Hello everyone,

Any favourite hairdoes?
A fan of tinsel or not?

Let's discuss!

Cheers,

Luke

I think perfume puffs and any ponies with crimped hair are sooo cute, even if they don't always last the test of time. Generally I prefer ponies with shorter hair because otherwise I feel like it gets in the way. I usually braid the tails of my ponies when they're being displayed off-shelf to avoid their long tails getting mussed when I move them for that reason. Long hair is mostly just annoying when it's on shorter ponies like the baby ponies and newborns, those poor things are always tripping over their own manes!

G1 and G3 hair are both faves but I do really like the variety of color in G3 manes. As someone who didn't start collecting until G4 rolled around I was pleasantly surprised by how many stripes of color would be in some ponies' manes (like Cheerilee!) when the G4 brushables would hardly ever have more than four stripes of two alternating colors.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »
I love curly hair! The Rainbow Curl and Candy Cane ponies are some of my favorite G1s. I also love tinsel as long as it's in decent shape.

I think G3 is my favorite generation when it comes to hair, mostly because of the colors. I love ponies with multicolored hair, and that iridescent tinsel that so many of them have is pretty.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal