collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Refurbished? Also, HI!  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Refurbished? Also, HI!
« on: November 07, 2021, 09:16:24 AM »
Hey everyone, it’s been ages!

I realized I’ve been pretty out of the loop for a while. Pony value seems all over the place and I’m curious if anyone knows the deal with the refurbished ponies on eBay? I’ve just never seen that label used so I’m not sure how we’re using it in the community. I was under the impression that shouldn’t be done with rare or uncommon ponies? I know so little these days  :drunk:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Refurbished? Also, HI!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
Following for an answer!

I think generally folks like to know when work has been done, so I think that's a good thing to be aware of! But I know some people don't like having ponies with 'things' done to them, so I'm curious as to how people feel about it!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 11:05:00 AM »
I think I know that specific seller you're talking about-I see them a lot even though I only look up "Pony Lot" and they sell individuals. The seller does list what they have done to the pony in the description, it does just mean that they have put some work to restore them somewhat.

Personally, I'm more apt to rehair a buzzcut rare pony than some others might be, I think it's always been sort of up to the discretion of the collector as to how much work will be put in.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »
I think I have quite an average level of condition in my collection, some near mint ones but I usually sell those on to collectors who only want unopened
ponies. Personally I don't mind if they have beem opened and washed as long as they haven't been damaged. However that is easier said than done and I prefer to do it myself. I wouldn't be sure what refurbishment means exactly. I think the short answer is that you kinda need to know what you're looking at and be prepared to ask the seller specific questions because everyone has a different definition.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 12:36:11 PM »
Okay, cool. So it’s just a preference thing. From what I can see it looks like they generally rehair and do other small touch ups. I appreciate that they disclose that, it just caught me off guard with ponies don’t normally see people alter.

Post Merge: November 07, 2021, 12:37:27 PM

Should I add a poll to see if it’s appealing or not as a buyer?
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
A poll would be interesting but there's a good variety of opinion. Some people prefer to collect them as they are and to them a little wear and tear adds "character", some people like them untouched because they enjoy restoring it or have their own methods of doing things, and some people don't have restoration skills but would like a nice looking pony.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 11:39:29 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 04:52:57 PM »
It's very much an individual decision, and I think it often rests on the level of restoration. For example, some people don't mind the neck seal being broken to clean inside but do mind rehairs. And so on.

The word restoration is more common in the pony community rather than refurbished but I guess it's the same thing.

Frankly I think it probably should be something left to the buyer to decide to do, rather than a seller doing it and then selling the pony. You will always risk alienating some buyers by restoring especially a rare pony.

I'm pretty strict on this in my collection. Restoration is the same to me as customisation, and I'm not interested in customs that look identical to the original pony, so restored ponies have no value to me personally. But another person will tell you the exact opposite. I don't like hair cuts either, but I'll go the extra mile to get one with real hair rather than settle for a redo. I just like my ponies to be original.

So I'd always prefer the seller to leave it to the buyer to decide.

I'm also not a fan of breaking the neck seal except in obvious emergencies, as it's harder to prove if a pony has been rehaired/tail repaired. And I don't like replacing the tail holders with plastic either, even though I understand the risk of rust. It's just not for me.

On the other hand, if a seller has just washed the pony with soap and water to remove dirt, has washed the hair and even restyled it (no cutting) then I'm fine with that. Recurled hair doesn't bother me, even with product, as it can be washed out easily.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 08:05:49 AM »
I kinda disagree. Some people can't restore ponies but want ponies that look nice and don't mind if they have been touched up. If nobody sold touched up ponies then there would be a longer wait or they would have to buy a poor condition pony and then send it to a restoration service which means more shipping on top of the restoration service. Sometimes it's cheaper to just get the minty original one but meanwhile the poor condition one sits without a home.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 08:20:34 AM »
I've rehaired and repainted Argies in my collection. I think restoring poinies to sell is kinda weird? I guess there's a market for it. But if I sold ponies, I wouldn't bother and let the buyer choose what they do with it. But as far as ponies in my own collection? Heck yes, I'll restore them. They're mine. I can do what I want.

edit: Also hi! :lol: I remember you, you did some art of my ponysona :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 08:26:47 AM »
I kinda disagree. Some people can't restore ponies but want ponies that look nice and don't mind if they have been touched up. If nobody sold touched up ponies then there would be a longer wait or they would have to buy a poor condition pony and then send it to a restoration service which means more shipping on top of the restoration service.

Frankly, they then might as well spend the money on a better condition pony *shrug*.

It is a good thing the seller discloses the restoration. It's more of a problem when that happens without it being disclosed.

Ultimately, though, a seller is restoring a pony to make more money. It doesn't make sense to do something to a pony that might rule out a number of potential buyers.

At the end of the day, what BC said is true, a person can do as they like to a pony they own. But if it's a case of wanting someone else to buy that pony, then it's a good idea to not make assumptions, and the best plan is to do no harm.

A person who wants a restored pony still has options even if they buy it in poor condition.

A person who doesn't want a restored pony has had that choice taken from them. It's a bit different if someone is selling a collection which contains ponies restored years earlier with the intention to keep them - but to restore specifically for sale is a risky choice as a seller. Especially with rarer ponies. It's not for a seller to determine what state a pony ought to be sold in. It's for the buyer to decide what state they want that pony they buy to be in, and seek restoration or otherwise if the pony is not in the condition they want when they receive it (providing it's honestly described).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 08:31:07 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 08:34:06 AM »
IMO it's really up to the collector.

I don't mind lovingly restored ponies. i have a few that had minor paint touch ups. nothing too drastic. I don't have any rehairs but i'm not against it. at this point some ponies are almost 40 years old. i doubt it will be easy to find mint condition ponies at some point. as long as the seller discloses the alterations i feel ok about it. idk

i am not at all skilled at any kind of restoration and will not attempt anything beyond washing dirt and conditioning hair. I have removed rusty tail washers to prevent additional staining. pretty much only in ponies that were moldy.

personally i'm ok with buying a lovingly restored pony that looks beautiful. since i can't do restorations myself. though i do welcome ponies with character i will not attempt any painting or rehairing for the sake of the pony and future collectors :) seriously i can barely assemble ikea furniture. no one wants me to try to restore paint.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »
I do actually like finding "bait" quality ponies and fixing them up to sell because I enjoy the process...although my restorations are not rehairs or paint touch ups and are "I got rid of inground dirt" or "I de-yellowed her using a lightbox". I am not confident in my painting abilities and do find that to be more akin to customs at that point, and I prefer alternate rehairs. :P

Personally, I would probably not buy a pony that has been repainted because I am very particular about that.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 09:52:17 AM »
On disclosing a restore was done - Ironically, I don't like to mark on the bottom of hooves even if I go as far as to repaint symbols (like on my Argie Windy), instead I would put a note inside the body.

That said - I've never actually sold any ponies, especially from my collection and don't plan to. If I find myself in a bind there are other collections that I'd sell first. But let's say, I die. In that case I have a binder for my family (or whoever) about what to do with my stuff. The pony section is very detailed and I ask that they be sold or given back to the community and NOT to be donated, please. The rehairs/restores are in their own section.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »
i have had people ask about ponies i've sold being rehaired. as far as i know none ever were. but i never feel comfortable saying they aren't unless the neck looks factory sealed. all of my ponies are second hand since my childhood collection didn't survive my childhood. but when people ask i usually take photos as best i can and let the buyer judge. i do like the idea of marking the inside of the pony.

i just feel like i can never be 100% sure about the condition of a pony wasn't in my possession for it's entire existence. To Tafetta's point can we ever be certain about a pony whose head was removed by a previous collector? idk. personally i can't really justify buying ponies if i can't as some point sell them. i feel like i'm in a tailspin now. how can i ever be sure?
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 11:25:07 AM »
I don't mind restored ponies personally. It means less work that I hafta do. Especially if they were filled with mold, or have awful hair cuts. I don't mind giving them a new tail, or cleaning out rust, but I don't know how to re-hair manes, and mold grosses me out hardcore. If the seller is mentioning that they're erm refurbished,  then they're being honest, as they ought to.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal