collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion on unicorn horns?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Opinion on unicorn horns?
« on: October 24, 2021, 12:36:37 AM »
    In media, it seems there are many different takes on a unicorns horn. You can have the spiral shaped horn, a curved horn more akin to a rhinoceros horn, or curved and shaped like a branch even. You can have a horn that is the same colour as the unicorns coat, a different colour, gold, or even multicoloured. They can even be super long or short! The combinations are seemingly endless, and every unicorn who’s born has worn a horn that’s unique.
   So what’s your take on the mythical and magical unicorn horn? Do you have a preference on what shape and colour the horn should be?
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
Re: Opinion on unicorn horns?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 03:36:45 AM »
Not exactly MLP, but I really love the way the unicorn's horn looks in The Last Unicorn. Long, slender, straight, spiraled, and separate from the rest of her head. I like that G5 is doing something pretty similar. The spirals engraved onto their horns is a neat touch, but I think I still prefer spiraled horns. Also wish that the horns on the toys would look more like they do on the models, instead of being the same color as the coat. Ooh, a translucent or a more crystalline horn would be pretty!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 06:33:36 AM »
Not really picky, as long as they're long enough to actually be *visible*. Some of the G4 horns were way too tiny. Also not a huge fan of horns being coloured differently to the main body colour.

I'm also not crazy about the current "stick a horn on everything" trend x) Unicorn horns are for unicorns only!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 07:36:22 AM »
Whether on MLP or other unicorns (artwork etc.), I like horns that are proportionate! :D  Big, bulky horns are my pet peeve but I'm also not a fan of super long slender horns. The ideal length (IMO) is about 1-1.5 x the length of the horse's head. Short, stubby horns may be cute but they always make me think of foals, so they look a little funny if on a horse/pony that's meant to be an adult. That said, I'm all for artistic freedom, and I like a variety! Classic spiral horns are my favourite, but I enjoy seeing and drawing other styles, like smooth curved horns, uneven twisted horns (think Queen Chrysalis!), branch-like horns, and so on. And while this thread is about horns, I like the variety in depictions of unicorns in general. To me, unicorns will always be first and foremost white horses with horns, and I wasn't in love with The Last Unicorn when I read the book around the age of 12-13. :D (Still haven't seen the film! I should watch it some day...) I've become more lenient since then and now enjoy pretty much all iterations, from cloven hooves to lion tails, and even a goat-like appearance. Melody Peña's (Windstone) "gothic" unicorns are some of my favourite!

I like G1 horns. G2 and G3 are fine too. G4 could've been better, they're a bit too stubby to my liking (I'm speaking of regular unicorn brushable toys here). The huge difference between the princesses and the other unicorns is a bit funny. I don't have any strong opinions about G5 horns so far... In art, I prefer natural-looking horns so the colour should be white/off-white like bone or brownish like keratin. However, for some reason I think MLP look best when the horn matches the rest of the body, especially as most MLP don't have distinct hooves. I don't like the horns that light up (G2/G3).

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:06:32 AM »
They're great for stabbin' stuff :bigups:

I like spiraled horns, and like Griffin, when they are proportionate.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 10:28:13 AM »
However, for some reason I think MLP look best when the horn matches the rest of the body, especially as most MLP don't have distinct hooves.

You know, I think that's why I don't much care for MLPs with unmatching horn colours, too. I was looking at some non-MLP unicorn art earlier, with the horns a different colour to the body, and I wondered why it didn't bug me as much as it does with MLPs... but that must be it. You need the hooves to be a different colour too if the horn is, otherwise the horn stands out too much, I think. Looks too "tacked on".

I love medieval, lion-tailed unicorns. :lovey: Would love to see one in MLP one day. (Oooh, imagine if the G4 princesses had lion tails instead of their galaxy manes....)

Offline DreamValleyRoseDust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
Personally I don't have a number-one favorite--I actually like the variety of different Unicorn horn depictions, because it gives the suggestion that there is (or once was) a healthy and wide variety of different Unicorn sub-species. The idea that there are regional variants to the ways that different Unicorns evolved, and that this variety is the result of the great abundance of Unicorns in the wild across the realm, is a very happy and heartening thought to me! In terms of MLP I like the G1 spiraled horns best, but on other toys or animated characters or real horses, I'm down for whatever!! I once built a snow Unicorn with an icicle horn that looked pretty rad being lit up by a cell phone flash light--maybe that's the closest thing to what I'd imagine a real Unicorn (perhaps from my regional area!) looking like...?

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 11:47:23 AM »
I agree it has to match the rest of the design! I love the sharp, slender horn of the Last Unicorn, but it would look out of place on the otherwise very rounded G1. I'm also a fan of using curved horns for more mystical designs, like Mistmane in FiM :) would've liked to see a toy version of her.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 12:06:43 PM »
Oooh I just looked up Mistmane, she's gorgeous! I'd love a toy of her, too.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
I like the good old spiral unicorn horn, that looks silver to white(like pearl or ivory).  I, too, am a fan of the Last Unicorn film.  BUT!!!  But when it comes to My Little Pony, having been raised with uni's that have matching horn/body color, I like for the Little Ponies to stay that way.

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »
I'm pretty happy with just about any unicorn style...long, short, stubby, slender, spiral, matching body color, gold, crystal, shimmery, just about anything goes! The only thing that I actively dislike is if they're not straight or solid. Curved horns look super weird to me in a very unattractive way, and I hated Chrysalis' jagged horn. I did give Tempest Shadow a break though since her horn was injured and not naturally meant to look that way. Otherwise, if the horn is straight, I think they're all pretty or cute in their own way.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 03:52:26 PM »
Oooh what a fun topic! I didn't realize I had strong opinions on unicorn horns until now! :lmao:

So I generally like The Last Unicorn type horns as well; long, spiral, of a similar color to the body. Pearlescent or shimmery make sense, or if it's white like bone; like a narwhal, basically! (If we consider a unicorn a biological reality, then a horn would be bone!) I get a little squinty when horns are gold or the like, because it feels more 'tacked on' and less like it grew naturally; for that reason, I really like MLP horns, because even if it's the same color as the body, it makes sense because it's obviously connected! Basically, the more a horn can look like it's a natural part of the body, the more I like it.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline DreamsofUnicorn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 10:22:19 AM »
to contrast everyone here I really like how different G5's horns are.
But to agree with everyone else I do like 'em long. G4 mention goes to Mistmane and her tribe.
Also do the kirin count? 'cus I like those.
Just trying to make everyone happy.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 01:09:34 PM »
Oh right, I forgot the kirin had horns! I guess the shape and angle makes it read more like a singular antler to me... now I'd be curious to see a branched horn on a unicorn...

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »
For My Little Pony, I like the G1 style best.  Twirled and the same color as the body, is really cute.  But, that doesn't mean that I'll get upset if they're not that way on other generations.  G1 will always be there for me.

And as for other art forms, I like them all.  It's neat to see how other artists interpret the unicorn.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal