collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who do you think are easier to find?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Who do you think are easier to find?
« on: October 17, 2021, 02:56:48 AM »
Earlier G1's or later?

For me I think its the 4 billion Peachy's that are so much easier to find than anything younger than 1986!
I think the Tales ponies & 90's G1's are even harder to get hold of.

What you think?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think are easier to find?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:02:13 AM »
Baby Blossom I keep seeing her on eBay.uk I’m thinking of getting some.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 03:42:41 AM »
Earlier G1 for sure. That's when pony was at it's most popular, so it makes sense.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 06:00:12 AM »
I haven't been pony-hunting in a while, but earlier, definitely. Especially since most of the earlier ones were released in more places than the later ponies.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 07:11:00 AM »
I agree, the earlier ones.

The last 2 years are kind of an exception anyway because their distribution missed out the biggest markets of USA and Canada,meaning there are fewer around anyway.

And it's not necessarily the case that all early G1s are easier to find than later.  I mean, Mountain Boys are probably less common than peekaboo babies...even though neither were sold everywhere...

But in general the early ones and especially those with playsets. Or here, the Groom and Style set (what the US calls "Year 3 earth". They're pretty iconic here I guess, in the absence of the early pegasus and unicorns as toys.

Ironically over here that means those y2 pegs and unicorns are like gold dust, and mountain boys and tales ponies are easier to find (it's all relative) than Firefly and Medley.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 07:30:09 AM »
Early to mid are easier.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:08 AM »
Earlier the latest g1 ponies I’ve gotten were older. But it could also depend on how rare or how wanted that pony is. I usually find a lot of collectors ponies or ponies like posey or fire fly a lot or flutter ponies are another common find.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
Absolutely the earlier ones. Almost every time I find G1s in the wild they're from the first few years of the line. I think perhaps earlier in G1 ponies got produced in higher numbers, and production numbers must have lowered later in the line. It's so much harder to find ones from mid and especially late G1 compared to early. And I think this also gets reflected in prices nowadays as well. Early G1s go for less than later ones because they're significantly more common.

It's a shame because most of my favorite G1s are mid and late ones. I really think the line kept improving as it went on, designs became so much more interesting IMO.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 10:53:44 AM »
I think it's also maybe because there are more ponies available in later years; there are far more sets on release each year, meaning children would be picking between characters more often.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 11:01:39 AM »
Definitely earlier ponies, if I can even find them anymore. Anytime I'm thrifting these days it's all G4...

I think latest released G1 I've found from thrifting was Caramel Crunch from y7 (1989)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »
I think I would go with eariler ones they just seem to be more avaliable. I did go and buy the sets and earlier to last. ( im silly like that.)

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »
I have seen more early G1 ponies on sites like here and eBay, and I agree with all the Peachy ones!! She's everywhere!

In person, I have never seen an original G1 pony at thrift shops, antique stores, or thrift shops. It may just be that my area was just not that big with MLP back in the day.

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 04:52:44 AM »
I have seen more early G1 ponies on sites like here and eBay, and I agree with all the Peachy ones!! She's everywhere!

In person, I have never seen an original G1 pony at thrift shops, antique stores, or thrift shops. It may just be that my area was just not that big with MLP back in the day.

It depends on when you began looking, honestly. If there weren't any in the nineties, then you might be right. But if it's more recently, then more than likely the area's already been cleansed of the G1s that may have been there in the past. Either through the original sellers selling them on, or them being grabbed up by dealers to resell, or local collectors, or whatever else. Or they go straight to ebay which is now more common than it was back then.

In the nineties my sister and I saw thousands of G1 ponies at the local carboot and honestly speaking, between those we kept and those we traded, we probably bought at least 1000, maybe 2000 of them. In later years when we used to go sell at that boot sale (and others in the area, after it closed), there were hardly any G1 ponies at all.

It made me think that, bearing in mind how many we took out of circulation by collecting and trading them, and that there was no way to replenish that, that probably G1s are harder to find now in part because of the length of time since they were sold, but also because of the collectors over the last 20+ years taking them out of the market.

There are a lot of pony collectors who used to be around who no longer are. Not all of them have sold their collections, either. So there are probably a lot of people no longer in the community who are still sitting on collections of a signficant size. It was really easy to build a big collection then compared to now, so that may be one reason.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 05:43:08 AM »
I agree, the earlier ones.

The last 2 years are kind of an exception anyway because their distribution missed out the biggest markets of USA and Canada,meaning there are fewer around anyway.

And it's not necessarily the case that all early G1s are easier to find than later.  I mean, Mountain Boys are probably less common than peekaboo babies...even though neither were sold everywhere...

But in general the early ones and especially those with playsets. Or here, the Groom and Style set (what the US calls "Year 3 earth". They're pretty iconic here I guess, in the absence of the early pegasus and unicorns as toys.

Ironically over here that means those y2 pegs and unicorns are like gold dust, and mountain boys and tales ponies are easier to find (it's all relative) than Firefly and Medley.

I cried when I got Medley. I also cried when I got Glory. Uh, and I may have also cried when I got Twilight too!

I agree the earliest ones to find are the Peachy, Cherries Jubilee early ponies. Also some of the later ones seem to have got much more expensive recently, even in grubby condition. I just saw Love Melody has about doubled in price on Ebay since I was buying TAFs. I'm less attached to these later ponies so I don't mind. I'm working on accessories for the earlier playsets (that I collect).
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 07:27:51 AM »
I relate on Medley and Glory! Glory we found at a carboot here, with Moondancer, once. Such a fine day! Medley was a trade. I still remember the first time I realised they actually did exist and it wasn't just in the stories. :D :D :D

...American collectors will never understand that feeling xD. There were a ton of ponies not sold in the US, but they weren't ever promoted in US literature and merchandise the way those unicorns and pegasus ponies dominated everything here.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal