Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Who do you think are easier to find?

<< < (4/5) > >>

TickledPink:
I haven't gone pony hunting in years :C  I rarely ever found g1 ponies when I did.

Purpleglasses:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on October 17, 2021, 07:11:00 AM ---I agree, the earlier ones.

The last 2 years are kind of an exception anyway because their distribution missed out the biggest markets of USA and Canada,meaning there are fewer around anyway.

And it's not necessarily the case that all early G1s are easier to find than later.  I mean, Mountain Boys are probably less common than peekaboo babies...even though neither were sold everywhere...

But in general the early ones and especially those with playsets. Or here, the Groom and Style set (what the US calls "Year 3 earth". They're pretty iconic here I guess, in the absence of the early pegasus and unicorns as toys.

Ironically over here that means those y2 pegs and unicorns are like gold dust, and mountain boys and tales ponies are easier to find (it's all relative) than Firefly and Medley.

--- End quote ---

LOL, please, I’ve got plenty of lovely Medleys and Firefly’s I’d happily trade you for an Ice Crystal! Or even just Gypsy? She went way up in price while I wasn’t looking.

lovesbabysquirmy:
I would say Years 3-5 are the most likely to find on the secondhand market.
It is also VERY TRUE that a lot of g1 collectors have gone "in-active", but they haven't sold off their collections yet.  either they don't have time/inclination, or they know that shipping and scammers will cause a lot of trouble.

i imagine in the next 10 years, people's personal storage units will start to be emptied out more, and we may find more G1.  like that MASSIVE find of all those MOC/MIB ponies about 5 years ago

goddessofpeep:
I think G1’s peak was 2-4 years in.  They were everywhere, and everyone I knew had at least one, even my friends who didn’t have many toys. I remember seeing Surprise and Sparkler hanging on pegs in the grocery store.  I think part of the reason they’re so common was the incredible availability, but also there weren’t as many possible ponies to get in those early years.  If you found a pony for sale in a store, it was one of a smaller pool of possible characters.

After the movie, there was a massive diversification of the line.  Instead of just a few different sets to collect, there were dozens.  All that product takes up space, and only the biggest toy retailers could hope to carry all of them.  Because of this, smaller retailers would have to pick and choose which sets to order, so distribution started to get complicated.   

Also, the first few years had mostly simple, single ponies that came with a ribbon, comb, and (usually) a sticker on a plain backcard.  They were around $5 almost everywhere, so they were just in the impulse buy range for most people.  Later on they started adding in more accessories, coming in boxes, and the price started to creep up.

This pattern seems to have repeated itself for every generation, and as a general rule the last few years of a generation have usually had the rarest ponies.

honor_h:

--- Quote from: Purpleglasses on January 06, 2022, 11:06:27 PM ---LOL, please, I’ve got plenty of lovely Medleys and Firefly’s I’d happily trade you for an Ice Crystal! Or even just Gypsy? She went way up in price while I wasn’t looking.

--- End quote ---

Mountain boy ponies do come up regularly in the UK, but they still go for high prices (presumably to overseas collectors) and thanks to Basic Fun their versions of Medley and Firefly are around £15 each so you might not find any takers. Gypsy is cheaper around £15-35 before postage in the UK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version