collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who do you think are easier to find?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think are easier to find?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 06:15:44 PM »
I haven't gone pony hunting in years :C  I rarely ever found g1 ponies when I did.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 11:06:27 PM »
I agree, the earlier ones.

The last 2 years are kind of an exception anyway because their distribution missed out the biggest markets of USA and Canada,meaning there are fewer around anyway.

And it's not necessarily the case that all early G1s are easier to find than later.  I mean, Mountain Boys are probably less common than peekaboo babies...even though neither were sold everywhere...

But in general the early ones and especially those with playsets. Or here, the Groom and Style set (what the US calls "Year 3 earth". They're pretty iconic here I guess, in the absence of the early pegasus and unicorns as toys.

Ironically over here that means those y2 pegs and unicorns are like gold dust, and mountain boys and tales ponies are easier to find (it's all relative) than Firefly and Medley.

LOL, please, I’ve got plenty of lovely Medleys and Firefly’s I’d happily trade you for an Ice Crystal! Or even just Gypsy? She went way up in price while I wasn’t looking.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 08:51:06 AM »
I would say Years 3-5 are the most likely to find on the secondhand market.
It is also VERY TRUE that a lot of g1 collectors have gone "in-active", but they haven't sold off their collections yet.  either they don't have time/inclination, or they know that shipping and scammers will cause a lot of trouble.

i imagine in the next 10 years, people's personal storage units will start to be emptied out more, and we may find more G1.  like that MASSIVE find of all those MOC/MIB ponies about 5 years ago
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 03:50:02 PM »
I think G1’s peak was 2-4 years in.  They were everywhere, and everyone I knew had at least one, even my friends who didn’t have many toys. I remember seeing Surprise and Sparkler hanging on pegs in the grocery store.  I think part of the reason they’re so common was the incredible availability, but also there weren’t as many possible ponies to get in those early years.  If you found a pony for sale in a store, it was one of a smaller pool of possible characters.

After the movie, there was a massive diversification of the line.  Instead of just a few different sets to collect, there were dozens.  All that product takes up space, and only the biggest toy retailers could hope to carry all of them.  Because of this, smaller retailers would have to pick and choose which sets to order, so distribution started to get complicated.   

Also, the first few years had mostly simple, single ponies that came with a ribbon, comb, and (usually) a sticker on a plain backcard.  They were around $5 almost everywhere, so they were just in the impulse buy range for most people.  Later on they started adding in more accessories, coming in boxes, and the price started to creep up.

This pattern seems to have repeated itself for every generation, and as a general rule the last few years of a generation have usually had the rarest ponies.

Offline honor_h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »
LOL, please, I’ve got plenty of lovely Medleys and Firefly’s I’d happily trade you for an Ice Crystal! Or even just Gypsy? She went way up in price while I wasn’t looking.

Mountain boy ponies do come up regularly in the UK, but they still go for high prices (presumably to overseas collectors) and thanks to Basic Fun their versions of Medley and Firefly are around £15 each so you might not find any takers. Gypsy is cheaper around £15-35 before postage in the UK.

Lovely Whizzer sig by Starscout
Fabulous avatar by Trinity

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 08:35:36 AM »
The most common MLPs imo are the Year 2 ponies (Glory, Cotton Candy, Windy, etc), and the early playset ponies.  I used to have ten Majestys from thrifting.  And not a single Dream Castle between them, lol.

Also lots of Baby ponies (first set), BBE babies, and Flutter ponies.  And Baby Stockings.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 08:39:24 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 10:04:32 AM »
The last ponies I found at at the flea market was a so soft Likity split and a 2017 peachy yesterday.

A few years back I found
Flutter ponies no wings
Star hopper
Baby giraffe
Baby crumpet
Dancing butterfly
And first years g1s
:accomplished:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 03:39:34 PM »
I agree, the earlier ones.

The last 2 years are kind of an exception anyway because their distribution missed out the biggest markets of USA and Canada,meaning there are fewer around anyway.

And it's not necessarily the case that all early G1s are easier to find than later.  I mean, Mountain Boys are probably less common than peekaboo babies...even though neither were sold everywhere...

But in general the early ones and especially those with playsets. Or here, the Groom and Style set (what the US calls "Year 3 earth". They're pretty iconic here I guess, in the absence of the early pegasus and unicorns as toys.

Ironically over here that means those y2 pegs and unicorns are like gold dust, and mountain boys and tales ponies are easier to find (it's all relative) than Firefly and Medley.

The irony is that there has never been a time where Medley and Firefly equalled Ice Crystal in trade even though Medley and Firefly were in demand here, and I have never found either of them second hand in the UK, in all my years collecting on and offline. I am guessing it's because the mountain boys were offered to a much smaller market for a very short period of time. The UK had them for around 6 months between the end of 1987 and the beginning of 1988. Only a handful of other countries also had them, like in Scandinavia. Even Germany, etc didn't get them. Plus when I first came online there were so few UK people around, that added to the supply/demand issue.

Most of the UK and Euro ponies no longer command their original prices, but the boys tend to hold theirs more or less :)

Over the course of my time carbooting in the late 1990s I probably found around 15 Ice Crystals, but never a Medley. Albeit I've not seen any in a long time now.

The fact is, when UK and European ponies first surfaced online, they got pushed out by DV into a separate special section of 'other' where they still sometimes belong. And there was a general assumption that all the ponies in the US were sold everywhere, and only Europe and the UK had these 'additional' ponies. So it meant that the trade value of those ponies ended up higher. It has balanced out a lot now, but there's never been a time when the US traders were able to take advantage of ponies sold there but not here. And certain ponies in the UK are more expensive even between UK traders because of that artificial market that kind of happened 20 years ago.

It's one of the reasons why I would love to see everything reorganised to identify which ponies were really mainstream, which were sold in only some places and so on, so that European ponies would stop being marginalised and that overall trades would be more balanced. But it hasn't happened yet.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal