collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Does this Article That I provide you... Upset You as a My Little Pony Collector? Read before Polling

Yess Definitely!!
6 (21.4%)
No I'm ok
22 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Question for the Collectors/ Read First before Polling!!!!  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Question for the Collectors/ Read First before Polling!!!!
« on: October 11, 2021, 11:16:43 PM »
OK I decided to start a new topic.
This is about the G5 Netflix movie and an Article that was written about it. I just want to know if this is offensive to MLP Collectors who has been collecting for years.
It was said in this Article below first or skip just skip to the paragraph below...
https://www.newsweek.com/not-just-kids-anymore-politics-animated-movies-my-little-pony-becomes-woke-1636144

Note: I don’t care what news source said what. It’s just been said and it’s a no-no for me as a MLP Collector who collects all 4 gens for years and has over 1000 ponies.
From Newsweek Quote “Fox News recently ran a story with a headline declaring My Little Pony had "gone woke," because the new film in the popular franchise makes "an apparent effort to send a message to kids about empowerment, unity and reform."

Those three words Empowerment, Unity, & Reform are NOT what MLP is OR the "Moral of the Story" of G5 New Netflix movie.
Like I said No matter what side of the fence you believe, Left wing, Right wing, Chicken wing! Its Ponies Wing now… This is just wrong! Yes the Movie is politicalized to some viewers but the Main message from the movie is not & that is the point!
I got… Love, Peace, & Unite ^.^ Magic Hugs and Cupcakes Too!!!

Don't confuse
Self Empowerment with Empowerment
Unite with Unity 
&
Change with Reform!!!

Empowerment is this = authority or power given to someone to do something. It don’t sound like MLP’s to me. This is completely different than a Self-Empowered Person.

Self-empowerment means making a conscious decision to take charge of your destiny. It involves making positive choices, taking action to advance, and being confident in your ability to make and execute decisions. Self-empowered people understand their strengths and weaknesses and are motivated to learn and achieve. (Totally for Self-empowered people)
With Unity ponies are put together.
with Unite ponies come together.
Reform is to Make changes within in order to improve…
Change is to replace (something) with something else, especially something of the same kind that is newer or better..
MLP Change from one Generation to another not to Reform.
After all this is G5 not G2 so MLP physically changed 6 times here let me count the ways…
1 time. G2
2 times. G3
3 times. G3.5
4 times. G4
5 times. G4.5
6 times. G5

Are you guys on the same page as me?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:10:27 PM by Starflashbaby »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Die Hard Collectors/ Read First before Polling!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 11:55:47 PM »
I didn't find the movie politicised, it seemed to be a very simple, kid-friendly message of ''don't judge other people'' and that you can be friends with people no matter where they come from. I don't have any issues with children's media having these kind of moral lessons in them.

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 12:15:30 AM »
I didn't find the movie politicised, it seemed to be a very simple, kid-friendly message of ''don't judge other people'' and that you can be friends with people no matter where they come from. I don't have any issues with children's media having these kind of moral lessons in them.

I Understand... kinda.... I love the moral lessons in this movie and in children's movies too but I hated what the Article had said about MLP movie in general. its like they have nothing else they can stab at so they go to the land of MLP & try and make things bad. they as in todays politics or the ones who make things woke.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 12:43:23 AM by Starflashbaby »

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 12:47:26 AM »
I mean, it's Fox News saying that.... they make political bull* about anything and everything. I don't think they are of any interest nor factual information. Just my opinion, of course. It's not worth getting upset over them, to me.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 12:55:08 AM »
I'm slightly amused by the fact Fox bothered to report on it, as though the MLP movie was somehow an important world event in a time when so many other things are going on.

I'm pretty cynical and was half expecting a movie about American politics and it wasn't as much like that as I thought it would be, so that's a good thing. But I imagine that the Fox report is in context and they probably would have/did make the same comment about a bunch of remake shows.

TBH I'm not really sure how much it included some of those messages anyway. Because MLP has always had a cast of multicoloured ponies, I see the species divide as being more about different cultures and countries than it is about different skin tones within the same society...and global relations more than racial ones. (Frankly, from a UK POV it could be more representative of Brexit right now than of anything, given all the stupid that's still swirling around that). I still think that some of the G4 messages, like the Griffins and their treasure vs 'friendship' were more offensive, politically, than the G5 movie reflecting a bunch of different cultures and folk trying to overcome that. I don't know if that's actually 'woke' or just normal global interactions. But at least G5 is trying to present different cultures coming together as opposed to one trampling over all the others - the fundamental root of the G4 concept is ponies > everyone else and friendship > everything else. Perhaps its slightly troubling that Fox think MLP has 'gone woke', given that suggests they don't think G4 was 'woke'. It asks some questions about the moral messages in G4 that maybe G5 is trying to sort out.

But Fox are going to see what they want to see in anything. Frankly I'd rather Fox were getting their knickers in a twist over some animated pastels wanting to integrate their cultures than other news outlets were reporting on the latest hate crime related incident being linked to brony fandoms. That for me was far more upsetting, and remains so - in comparison, this kind of thing is fine.

That said, Fox has zero mainstream influence here. So I guess maybe that makes a difference. I think they lost their broadcasting licence for reporting fake news. It's a weird thing but in the UK the print press can say what they like but the tv media have to be objective and impartial. And it helps if they report actual true things. So if Fox think MLP is woke, that's up to them. I think I probably don't care.

I've also been a pony fan since I was a kid (now 39) and have watched generations come and go. G4 did something to MLP that had never happened before. We're just going to have to live with the fact that with the nature of media today and the popularity of G4, these kinds of discussions will probably continue. It doesn't detract from MLP as a concept. It's just some people's opinions - you don't have to agree with them.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 01:03:04 AM »
Eh, it’s Fox News, I wouldn’t let it bother you too much. I know you said you don’t care where it came from or what side you’re on politically, but I think it’s important to note Fox is just…..like that. When they don’t have any real news to run they try and whip up outrage over children’s media. Remember when they freaked out cause Mr. Potato Head got “cancelled” by the liberal agenda? :lol:

Personally I didn’t see the movie as political at all. There are tons of other animated movies aimed at kids that are much more overt with political messages imo. I didn’t even draw the similarities between Sprout and Trump until now. Maybe that was intention, maybe it wasn’t, but to me it wasn’t a super obvious reference. The imagery in the Mob Song could apply to any dictator/authoritarian figure in history. I feel like it took more cues from the Lion King’s “Be Prepared” than anything. There are certainly parallels between todays divided world and the ponies’ current divided world, but to me the main message of movie was that despite our differences, we can still be friends. And man, if that message is intimidating  to whoever wrote that article at Fox, you know, I just don’t know what to say. I know we live in a really divided world right now, but I still believe the idea of trying to find common ground and working towards a common goal is possible. The idea of friendship isn’t radical.

I’ll end this post by saying I feel like “woke” has almost become a dog whistle of sorts……I don’t know exactly how or why, but anytime I hear that word now my skin crawls. I feel like it’s used to attack anything that challenges the status quo, or promotes inclusivity and diversity. Sure, when corporations or big brands like My Little Pony try this the messaging can come off as kind of clumsy, but I believe the intentions are mostly good, if maybe not a bit shallow. But it seems anytime something is deemed “woke” lately it gets panned for promoting some agenda that someone doesn’t like. Idk….I feel that topic is too nuanced and difficult for me to articulate, but in short, being “woke” isn’t a bad thing. If that’s how Fox wants to bill the new movie, cool. At least the creators tried to send a positive message, you know?

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the Collectors/ Read First before Polling!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 01:07:54 AM »
@Minty Magic, I totally agree re 'woke'. If it ever had a meaning outside of being a political, that meaning has been lost. TBH it's always felt like a word that didn't need to exist...the concepts it's meant to represent have plenty of other words without that one.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 01:13:45 AM »
I thought that the MLP Community would have been outraged.... cause people have said this on one of the comments of the article....

"There was absolutely nothing woke about the movie.  Wokescolds are seeing a lot of stuff that isn't even in there.  It's probably actually the least woke piece of content Hasbro has released in the past decade."

but i see all your point...

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 06:17:35 AM »
"If you not on my vibe, I don't gotta listen" - qveen herby

Yeah no.  Words like "woke" from FOX NEWS?  LOL oh please. 
Consume different media! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 06:47:50 AM »
I think something people like this tend to forget is that "x thing is political", despite how it's usually said on the internet, doesn't necessarily mean "x thing is controversial" or "x thing is bad for kids". Did you enjoy Rescue at Midnight Castle? Congratulations, you've just endorsed a political message against slavery ;)

So is the new movie political? Well, Sunny covers up xenophobic propaganda with propaganda of her own, and she interrupts a press conference by those who seek to profit from systemic oppression. Her work literally helps change the law (it's not just about friendship, being a unicorn was a crime punishable by imprisonment). That's absolutely political :lol: Though I think the only people who would have a problem with that are those who happen to see themselves in the villains.

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 08:56:35 AM »
i haven't seen the movie but maybe this is a case of people projecting their own insecurities on a movie? a lot of the entertainment i watched as a child would be "political" today. Captain Planet (environment), GI Joe (pro-military), Bambi (anti gun/hunting, environment) i don't think any of this is new. it just gets repackaged as a new freak out ever few years. remember the teletubbies freakout back in the late 90s.

if you go looking for political messages you disagree with i guess you will find them. i mean i find the Little Mermaid troubling today but i watched it as a child. i'm fine. if i had kids i would probably let them watch it but explain that they do not need to change themselves to please others. i mean she literally gives up her voice for a guy. anyway my personal pet peeve.

if being kind to outsiders are not criminalizing people for who they are is offensively political what kind of messages do people want their children to see? i guess it's political but i'm baffled that people find it so offensive that they're going to make a fuss. but yeah it's fox news so i guess i shouldn't be surprised. i also think sometimes these freak outs are nothing more that some pundit or grifter looking to cause some fake outrage.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 09:07:44 AM »
I am the owner of the G5MLP wiki, Discord server for it, and have been submerged in discussion about the movie since we started getting news about in February. I am so tired of the dang Fox News stuff surrounding the movie.

The Fox News article sounds like the writer didn't even watch the movie. It's just a little compilation of Fox News being Fox News and a few interview quotes from the voice actors. Everyone took the title of the article and ran with it, despite it not actually having any substance.

if you go looking for political messages you disagree with i guess you will find them

Basically sums it up right here.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
That sounds a lot like the reason Fox lost their broadcast licence here, by reporting news they hadn't bothered to investigate for themselves and thus got wrong.

I think that quote of Beth's does sum it up too. And yeah, everything really does reflect human society, so in that sense it should be interesting more than a model of outrage...that art imitates life and life gets further influence from art.

Maybe the historian in me is coming out a bit there. I like to analyse stuff and most of my work is around fabricated representations of mediaeval warriors so...(I'm the kind of geek who got a bit excited when Miraculous Ladybug referenced Tomoe Gozen, then wondered whether or not the reference really made sense to the audience.)

Everything has to have an angle these days. It's quite tiring.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 12:22:37 PM »
Must be a slow news day at Fox.  :rolleyes: Didn't read it because I know they like using cheap buzzwords to try and rile people .
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DreamsofUnicorn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 12:28:07 PM »
I agree with the general consensus above,
but here to throw in my input: Imalou said she based sprout off of Dio from Jojo more than anything.
 :awake: just spreading that info
Just trying to make everyone happy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal