collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New User Introduction Post  (Read 784 times)

Offline DreamValleyRoseDust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
New User Introduction Post
« on: October 04, 2021, 08:47:28 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm brand new to this site--in fact, I'm brand new to the concept of having other pony fans to talk to at all, even though I've been collecting and loving G1 ponies in a lonely, solitary way since I was about two years old (I'm now 34)! I imagine this is going to be a new and very interesting experience, as I've kind of been hoping and dreaming to one day finally find at least one other person on this planet to talk to about ponies for the past 30-some odd years, but (aside from a recent friend on the Internet who encouraged me to join this forum, and a few older girls who played G1 ponies with me when I was too young for kindergarten), I seem to have somehow never met another person as interested in ponies as I've been for basically my whole life. I hope that's finally going to change now!

I'm a college Cinema Studies and Animation professor by trade, based in New Jersey, USA, and also the cartoonist of an absurdist space adventure comic strip ("Captain Jett Renegade") in my town's local weekly print newspaper. I have a professional background in animation, film, & TV production, and most recently have gotten really into pixel sprite animation (as you can see from my profile image)! I hope to be able to make some more pony-related pixel animations for the members of this Arena soon!

I primarily collect G1 ponies, and owned my first few when I was about two years old, but I really got my start as a collector a year later when a family friend (who was the unimaginably mature age of 8) gifted me her entire herd of G1 My Little Ponies when I was about three years old. It was a huge bonanza collection of about 80-90 ponies, Megan, Dream Castle, the Nursery, and the Waterfall playset, among various costumes and accessories. Other than my husband marrying me, I think it was the single nicest thing anyone has ever done for me in my life...! XD

I have been collecting G1 ponies ever since, though I dabble in G2 and G4. I own probably around two hundred G1 ponies (maybe more like 300 if you count G2 and G4 ponies) as of the current writing, and I've recently decided to attempt to complete my G1 collection, with the full understanding that it may well take the rest of my life to do so--but that's part of the fun!

I'm also a huge fan of HQG1C, and am fascinated by the psychology of My Little Pony collecting. I want to explore the reasons why I want to own an apparently infinite number of small rainbow colored horse sculptures, both from the past and the present, provided that they're in a certain recognizable art style, even though this is objectively insane and physically unsustainable in terms of shelf space in my house. I want to know what ponies mean to me and others on the deep, primal level at which they so obviously resonate, so as to better understand myself and the world around us all!

I'm fascinated by the question of what play styles others engaged in with the ponies when they were children (were your ponies badass action heroes like they were in my games and in the 80's cartoon show? Were they just there to get their hair combed and play dress up? Were they used for something else?), and I would absolutely love to hear about your experience playing with ponies as a kid!

For now, though, I think that's about it. Looking forward to meeting you all, and thanks so much for allowing me into this forum!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:51:19 AM by DreamValleyRoseDust »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New User Introduction Post
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »
 :welcome:

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
Welcome to the Arena!  :good:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:56:04 PM »

Welcome to the Arena :newpony:

Hope you have an awesome time talking ponies and making new friends here on the forum!

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
Hi! Welcome to the Arena!

Well, I think you're about to get your socks knocked off - suddenly you're surrounded by people who can't stop talking about ponies! :silly:

I hope you have fun exploring the site and make a lot of new friends here!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 10:06:53 AM »
Welcome to the mlparena :heart:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 03:50:16 AM »
Hi and welcome to the Arena!
Have fun here :)

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 05:50:26 AM »
Hello and welcome!
Sounds like you and me had similar play styles. I think I would have been convinced I'd died and gone to heaven if I'd had an older cousin gift me with such a collection though Megan would've been shoved to the side with Molly until the next time my friend and I played barbies instead. There she would have gotten a major restyle and possibly a new haircut. As it was most of my childhood herd was either purchased by/gifted to me on birthdays/Christmas or taken from my friends step sister's collection.
I'm sure you'll fit right in here and hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline DreamValleyRoseDust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 04:06:21 PM »
Hello and welcome!
Sounds like you and me had similar play styles. I think I would have been convinced I'd died and gone to heaven if I'd had an older cousin gift me with such a collection though Megan would've been shoved to the side with Molly until the next time my friend and I played barbies instead. There she would have gotten a major restyle and possibly a new haircut. As it was most of my childhood herd was either purchased by/gifted to me on birthdays/Christmas or taken from my friends step sister's collection.
I'm sure you'll fit right in here and hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Omg thank you for telling me about your MLP play style! I want to start a whole separate thread about this--it all really came out of the fact that the MLP episode of "The Toys that Made Us" seemed to reveal that "grooming play" is the main way that the Hasbro execs believe little girls play with MLP toys--but I don't think I've ever known anyone who loved ponies who didn't play with them as if they were the stars of their own adventure stories. Grooming play was more of a Barbie thing, as I recall (like you alluded to with poor Megan and Molly and their ill-fated hair cuts...!). Like sure, there was some mane and tail braiding, absolutely, but that wasn't the primary thing, mostly it was all about fighting monsters and using magic and saving the world and whatnot!

But thank you so much for sharing your story! I want more data on this from more people (basically to find out if I was just weird of if the Hasbro guys were just wrong!), so I really appreciate your reply!! <3

Post Merge: October 24, 2021, 04:07:37 PM

Thank you all for your awesome welcoming responses! And so sorry for my lag in not seeing them till now--I'm still figuring out the new interface and poking around and learning the forum. This place is super rad and I love being here--thanks again for the warm welcome!!

:lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal