collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A look at yellow ponies  (Read 902 times)

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
A look at yellow ponies
« on: September 22, 2021, 03:42:47 PM »
When I say yellow ponies in the subject, I mean ponies that are intentionally yellow, not ponies that have yellowed. Just so we're clear  :lol:

I’ve been doing some “light” research on yellow ponies. One of my most interesting findings is that yellow unicorns are *very* rare. There are more than plenty of yellow earth ponies and a good handful of yellow pegasus ponies, but the first yellow unicorn (and only adult unicorn!) I came across is Red Roses from the Perfume Puff Pony line from year 7. Also, in year 7, is yellow baby unicorn Baby Lucky Leaf and Baby Gusty, the baby sparkle pony, (no relation at all to white unicorn Gusty) the following year.

Now there is a yellow Moondancer, but I believe she is a Nirvana. It’s just super surprising to me that there’s only one yellow adult unicorn. I don’t know if this was intentional or they got to year 7 and realized they never made a yellow unicorn, so Red Roses got that honor, or what. And yellow seems to be a pretty popular color for a pony. More popular, than say, orange and green and we saw both an orange and green unicorn (Speedy and Fizzy) before we ever saw a yellow one!

My favorite mane and tail color combinations with yellow is pink (the aforementioned Red Roses and Posey) and I prefer this color combination than the reverse. Also, while green hair is not always my favorite mane/tail color for a pony (hi, Raspberry Jam and Sunnybunch), I think the combination of a yellow pony with green hair is aesthetically pleasing (Masquerade, Magic Star, Lemon Treats, Cascade (who I much prefer to her U.S. counterpart, Sprinkles), Tutti Fruitti, and Wind Drifter among others (I’m sure there’s a few others I forgot to mention). Tootie Tails with her yellow, green, and pink hair and pineapple symbol is one of my favorite yellow ponies. Sand Digger is quite the stunning yellow pony with her aqua-colored hair. She's the only yellow pony I can think of who has that color hair.

Yellow ponies with purple hair give me an Easter vibe (Lemon Drop, Twinkle Dancer), but I prefer that color combination than the reverse. I don't know why, but I'm not a big fan of purple ponies with yellow hair. I can’t help but think of McDonalds when I see Diamond Dreams or Sunburst, the two yellow ponies with bright red hair.

A special shout out to Lofty and Dancing Butterflies, the two yellow monochromatic ponies (although there is plenty of pink and blue on Dancing Butterflies so I don't know if she applies as being truly monochromatic!)

Who are your favorite yellow ponies? What color mane/tail combination do you like with yellow pony? Any particular shade of yellow you don't like on a pony?

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: A look at yellow ponies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 02:41:11 AM »
Hi ! What a fun thread. ^^
Swirly Whirly is also monochromatic, I like her. ^^ Tes is also a yellow boy. :D

Take care !
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Mooncovered

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 04:21:49 AM »
I'll admit it took a while for me to warm up to yellow ponies. Yellow is the type of colour for me that can be a total hit or miss depending on how it's combined. Funnily enough the yellow-body-pink-hair combo is actually one of my least favourites (sorry) :P

One that I don't see mentioned in your post but which I do like: Tic-Tac-Toe (and baby), who I think are gorgeous:)
Also: Dutch butterfly pony! (sadly I don't have her)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:35:05 AM »
Unsurprisingly I am a fan of yellow ponies!  I really like Tic-tac-toe, Posey, Swirly Whirly, G4 Fluttershy, and a LOT of the yellow G3s - recently got Flower Wishes and I just love her.  I don't really love Dancing Butterflies but it's mostly because of the pose she is in...I made a G4 custom of her and did like that quite a bit.

I agree that yellow body purple hair does look particularly Easter-y.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline FernMariposa919

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 04:52:20 PM »
Hi ! What a fun thread. ^^
Swirly Whirly is also monochromatic, I like her. ^^ Tes is also a yellow boy. :D

Take care !

I actually totally forgot about Swirly Whirly, but you're right. I did wonder if I should include Crumpet and Butterscotch (btw, too bad the name "Butterscotch" was already used because that would've been a great name for Swirly Whirly! Not that it's stopped Hasbro from giving ponies double names!) since their mane and tail is a little bit different shade of yellow from their bodies. They both have that honey colored hair and their bodies are a tad lighter. I love Crumpet; she is a gorgeous pony, but alas, I do not have her.

I'll admit it took a while for me to warm up to yellow ponies. Yellow is the type of colour for me that can be a total hit or miss depending on how it's combined. Funnily enough the yellow-body-pink-hair combo is actually one of my least favourites (sorry) :P

One that I don't see mentioned in your post but which I do like: Tic-Tac-Toe (and baby), who I think are gorgeous:)
Also: Dutch butterfly pony! (sadly I don't have her)

Oh, yes! I also love Tic-Tac-Toe and Baby Tic-Tac-Toe; both are childhood ponies of mine, so they are very special yellow ponies to me.

What do you think about pink ponies with yellow hair? I ask because for some reason, I'm not a fan of that combination, but I like yellow ponies with pink hair. But I totally agree with you it really depends on what color combination they are, but you can say that about any color, really!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 09:31:58 PM »
loves baby squirmy....
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 10:24:14 PM »
I love yellow ponies! I think yellow and blue are my favorite body colors for ponies generally. I tend to like those colors a lot on them.

I'm not sure if I have a favorite hair color on yellow. I think yellow bodied ponies tend to rock hair of any color really well, which makes it tough to decide a favorite hair color on them.

My favorite yellow pony is probably Tic-Tac-Toe, she's so colorful and bright! Very fun pony. Also really like Lemony Gem, one of the non-Mane 6 G4 ponies. Her blue hair looks great with her yellow body.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 10:29:35 PM »
There are some really nice yellow ponies! I really like Swirly Whirly, though I prefer her aqua-haired German version, I'm not a huge fan of mono-yellow. Dancing Butterflies and Red Roses are also both beautiful ponies. Does Golden Light from G2 count as yellow? Because she's also gorgeous, all versions of her.

There is another adult yellow unicorn, though she's a G3 pony. Brights Brightly! She's one of my favourites, though that's probably because she was a childhood pony for me. Still, I think she's very pretty ^^ . G3 also had Apple Spice who is yellow, and she's also one of my favourite G3 ponies.

Sunset Shimmer is really cool, I just wish they used her pony form more.

I think there's a yellow unicorn in G5? I remember there being one with pink hair in the advent calendar, but I don't know if she has any sort of important role or if she's just a background character. Hitch sort of counts as yellow I guess? I'd say he's more tan but I guess it's close enough. I really like his design, I just with they would make a proper brushable of him with his markings.

I didn't think that I liked yellow ponies, but while writing this I just kept thinking of ones I love! I didn't even list them all, I keep thinking of more. Guess I like them more than I thought ^^

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 10:33:33 PM »
Yellow ponies has always been my favorites even though yellow generally is not a favorite color for me.
I think it's because I grew up loving palominos so yeah, yellow bodied ponies = :heart:

Can´t say I have a favorite combo of yellow body and colored mane.

A "small" list of my favorite ponies: Magic star, Tic tac toe, Sunburst, Squirmy, Starry Wings, Seastar, Red Roses, Posey, Lemondrop, Masquerade,  Lemon treats, Lemondrop, Diamond dreams, Cascade, Bubbles, Baby Lollipop & Baby Lucky Leaf.

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline Mooncovered

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 04:05:54 AM »

What do you think about pink ponies with yellow hair? I ask because for some reason, I'm not a fan of that combination, but I like yellow ponies with pink hair. But I totally agree with you it really depends on what color combination they are, but you can say that about any color, really!

Yeah I'm not fond of that combination either, I think for me pink and yellow are one of my least combinations regardless of how they're distributed.

There are some really nice yellow ponies! I really like Swirly Whirly, though I prefer her aqua-haired German version, I'm not a huge fan of mono-yellow. Dancing Butterflies and Red Roses are also both beautiful ponies. Does Golden Light from G2 count as yellow? Because she's also gorgeous, all versions of her.

Funny, I purchased Dancing Butterflies, Swirly Whirly, and Princess Golden Light all within the last 2 months - I guess I like yellow ponies more than I thought! visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  :P

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 04:38:16 AM »
I think the reason we're not overly for pink Ponies wi yellow hair is they look like blonde humans

Back onto main topic. I find pretty much any yellow Pony to have an Easterish look, as yellow is such an Easter colour. Yellow with pink is a classic combo, but my fave yellow Ponies have blue hair, like Bubbles, Meadowbrook & so on.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal