collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you have one? Do you use it?

Yes, I have one and use it.
11 (28.2%)
Yes, but I don't use it.
12 (30.8%)
I have a safer alternative.
4 (10.3%)
No, I don't have one.
12 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Do you have a fireplace?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a fireplace?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 05:59:06 AM »
No fireplace inside, but we've got a fire pit in the backyard. Never lived in a house with a fireplace.
It's a distinct smell when you walk by someone's house and you know they have the fireplace burning.
Pellet stoves are popular around here for heating as well.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
1) Do you have a fireplace?

Yes, 2 of 3 homes I have lived in had them. Most of my relatives houses also had them.

2) Do you use it?

No. The house we live in right now has a gas fireplace and the pipe was capped off by the previous owners. The house has AC/Heat, so there is not really much need for it since the forced air heats other areas of the house. There is a "fake fire" in the fireplace (one of those plug in electrical flickering flames and logs).

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 01:53:10 AM »
I don't, but my folks do. They use it as well, both to provide heat & to heat a kettle for drinks. It's enclosed though so no toasted crumpets (OMG you should try them wi butter or marg)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 03:43:10 AM »
I've watched those fireplace videos too, I love an open fire in winter. However we were saying just this morning how much better we find the new house being without a fireplace. Everything can be clean and light in colour because there is no soot and mould from buring old wood.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline halicabi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 12:53:36 AM »
The first 2 houses I lived in had a fireplace.  They gave off heat, but a chimney was not needed.

The first house my husband and I bought did not.

After moving to Indiana, the house we bought has a fireplace.  We used it a few times the second winter we were up here, but had to be careful, as our children were 3 and 5.  It didn't help that our younger child decided to put some of his sister's toys (Ponyvilles, actually) in there!  Luckily, I found them before it was lit again.

It has been several years since we've used it.  We need to have the chimney cleaned before attempting to use it again.

...live in Florida where it gets cold for maybe a week or two...

Tell me about it...I grew up in Miami!

halicabi

Avatar and Sig drawn by my 5 year-old daughter (at age 4).  Aren't they adorable????
**My how time flies, she's now 20 and in College!!! I need a new drawing**

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2021, 03:18:35 AM »
I have a gas fireplace, which seems to be uncommon in my area. All the houses I looked at while house hunting had pellet stoves, which kinda freak me out.

I use my fireplace, but only for short periods of time in the winter, since my MIL blasts the heater way too high, and I run very hot.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2021, 08:49:29 AM »
My mother has one but it's a gas one. Personally, I hate it.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
We have a fireplace, but we never used it. Neighbors moved in upstairs and started using theirs, and because our apartments are stupidly constructed, the smoke from their chimney gets sucked back down into our fireplace and into our house, so we've done our best to block up our fireplace so that stops happening >.<

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »
no fireplace but i'm somewhat interested in getting an electric one after we move if we can build a mantle and shelves around it. but i'm not sure.

we had a gas fireplace in one of the houses i lived in. we used it a few times but some wasps started nesting in the chimney so we were afraid to open the flue. the gas fireplaces scare me now.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 06:44:32 AM »
I actually have one lit right now :D
I live in Sweden and the winters are cold. I think it's pretty common for houses, especially older houses, around here to have one. In some really old houses it's not uncommon to find a fireplace in several of the rooms (my sisters house have 4 fireplaces but they only use one)
The autumn mornings are starting to get pretty chilly now and since I work at home I recently started to light one for the first few hours every morning when the weather is chilly like today.
It's extremly cozy and soothing to just sit here with my morning coffee with just the sound of the crackling wood, the smell and the dancing flames. :heart:
And of course the electricity bill goes down a bit since we can heat up the house with the fireplace instead.

The only downside to having a fireplace is that it's not particulary funny to head outside to the shed in a raging blizzard to get more firewood and of course it needs to be cleaned once in a while too. But the result is always worth it in my book :)

Same here in Finland. :fireplace:

I live in a rented apartment with no fireplace. My parents have one, though, as well as a wood-burning stove and a wood-burning sauna. They don't use the fireplace as it doesn't work properly, but sometimes burn candles in it for a cosy atmosphere. :D The fireplace is located in what now effectively serves as a laundry room and dressing room (adjacent to the sauna) so it's not too practical anyway... (If you wonder why, it's an older house that my parents have renovated quite a lot over the years, adding more rooms etc. :P The part with the sauna used to have a separate entry, I still remember having to run around the house in my bathrobe when I was a kid! Not too fun in the winter...) The kitchen stove is something they do use actively, mainly for heat rather than cooking. It's not much to watch but you do get to listen to the lovely crackling sound!

Imagine a sound like distant reindeer migrating across the frozen tundra... wait, it's all of My Little Pony Arena stampeding over to your parent's house to play 'how many can we fit in the sauna'

Post Merge: December 14, 2021, 06:46:44 AM

no fireplace but i'm somewhat interested in getting an electric one after we move if we can build a mantle and shelves around it. but i'm not sure.

we had a gas fireplace in one of the houses i lived in. we used it a few times but some wasps started nesting in the chimney so we were afraid to open the flue. the gas fireplaces scare me now.

Sorry if I have mentioned this before but we had a carbon monoxide monitor. Although you would think landlords would ahve to supply them I've never moved into a place with one in fact I keep buying them and then leaving them for the next person because I can't bear the idea that someone might have survived if I had left it for them. They do really work. Wasps are annoying though and I don't know what you do about those except use pesticide :(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 06:47:46 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
Where I am, carbon monoxide monitors aren't required in houses at all, though I know retailers recommend them to anyone with a fireplace.

As far as wasps, I would call an exterminator! Not cool.

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2021, 03:34:27 PM »
Twizel, thankfully we moved from that house. we had all kinds of bug problems there. also newts and one toad got in the house. i know some people like them but reptiles and amphibians creep me out.

yeah carbon monoxide and smoke detectors depend on local ordinances in Texas at least. new construction requires carbon monoxide detectors so we'll have them in our new house. but for rentals good luck.

in our last rental the smoke detectors had been expired for years. our landlord reluctantly changed them out after they all started beeping continuously. and when we took a couple of them down to change the batteries we found out they were expired. he was not happy about spending the money to replace them either. and this was after trying to raise our rent by almost $250/month on a place that was already overpriced. he backed off that after we just said we would move. i'm not sure if there were carbon monoxide detectors. i never saw any.

one of the other places we rented for a few months had an over that definitely leaked gas. we had to open the windows when we used it! it's just hard to get anything done without getting an attorney involved. unfortunate it's easier to move than withhold rent and risk eviction. anyway i'm ranting but i have strong feelings about housing rights.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2021, 10:18:12 PM »
Twizel, thankfully we moved from that house. we had all kinds of bug problems there. also newts and one toad got in the house. i know some people like them but reptiles and amphibians creep me out.

yeah carbon monoxide and smoke detectors depend on local ordinances in Texas at least. new construction requires carbon monoxide detectors so we'll have them in our new house. but for rentals good luck.

in our last rental the smoke detectors had been expired for years. our landlord reluctantly changed them out after they all started beeping continuously. and when we took a couple of them down to change the batteries we found out they were expired. he was not happy about spending the money to replace them either. and this was after trying to raise our rent by almost $250/month on a place that was already overpriced. he backed off that after we just said we would move. i'm not sure if there were carbon monoxide detectors. i never saw any.

one of the other places we rented for a few months had an over that definitely leaked gas. we had to open the windows when we used it! it's just hard to get anything done without getting an attorney involved. unfortunate it's easier to move than withhold rent and risk eviction. anyway i'm ranting but i have strong feelings about housing rights.

I agree with you.

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2021, 07:57:51 AM »
Seconded!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2021, 09:41:33 AM »
We do but we need to have the chimney cleaned by a professional.  We use the fireplace sometimes when's it's really cold.  I have to be careful around burning wood and smoke due to my asthma.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal