Pony Talk > Off Topic

Do you have a fireplace?

(1/8) > >>

BlackCurtains:
:cold: The cold is coming for some of us soon.

I've lived in one house with a fireplace, my parent's house. We never used it though and blocked it off. There were bats living in it for a while. The chimney was all rotted but was fixed a few years ago. I guess it's useable? No one knew anything about fireplaces and we live in Florida where it gets cold for maybe a week or two. So not using it wasn't a big deal. There's a bookcase in front of it ^.^

I do love the smell of smoldering wood, it's one of my favorite scents. I wouldn't be comfortable with a real fireplace though. An electric one paired with scented oil or a candle would be nice. I like the ones that look real and have a crackling sound effect.

Have you ever watched a fireplace video? :P They're pretty neat and nice to fall asleep to, but of course don't come with heat.

How popular are real fireplaces in your country? Do you have one? How often do you use it? :)

lovesbabysquirmy:
We have a gas-lit, wood burning fireplace so we dont have to worry about lighting it.  But it needs to be cleaned out, we haven't done that in a few years.  So it has been decorated for Christmas but not used. 

SpacePinto:
I live in a small apartment on the third floor, so no fireplace.

SunPony:
I spent most of my youth in a house heated with a wood-burning stove, but since then I haven't had one in any form.  I do miss it...not the smell so much as the way it was kind of the center of family life in the winter. 

Annie:
I actually have one lit right now :D
I live in Sweden and the winters are cold. I think it's pretty common for houses, especially older houses, around here to have one. In some really old houses it's not uncommon to find a fireplace in several of the rooms (my sisters house have 4 fireplaces but they only use one)
The autumn mornings are starting to get pretty chilly now and since I work at home I recently started to light one for the first few hours every morning when the weather is chilly like today.
It's extremly cozy and soothing to just sit here with my morning coffee with just the sound of the crackling wood, the smell and the dancing flames. :heart:
And of course the electricity bill goes down a bit since we can heat up the house with the fireplace instead.

The only downside to having a fireplace is that it's not particulary funny to head outside to the shed in a raging blizzard to get more firewood and of course it needs to be cleaned once in a while too. But the result is always worth it in my book :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version