collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you have one? Do you use it?

Yes, I have one and use it.
11 (28.2%)
Yes, but I don't use it.
12 (30.8%)
I have a safer alternative.
4 (10.3%)
No, I don't have one.
12 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Do you have a fireplace?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Do you have a fireplace?
« on: September 20, 2021, 06:23:40 PM »
:cold: The cold is coming for some of us soon.

I've lived in one house with a fireplace, my parent's house. We never used it though and blocked it off. There were bats living in it for a while. The chimney was all rotted but was fixed a few years ago. I guess it's useable? No one knew anything about fireplaces and we live in Florida where it gets cold for maybe a week or two. So not using it wasn't a big deal. There's a bookcase in front of it ^.^

I do love the smell of smoldering wood, it's one of my favorite scents. I wouldn't be comfortable with a real fireplace though. An electric one paired with scented oil or a candle would be nice. I like the ones that look real and have a crackling sound effect.

Have you ever watched a fireplace video? :P They're pretty neat and nice to fall asleep to, but of course don't come with heat.

How popular are real fireplaces in your country? Do you have one? How often do you use it? :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a fireplace?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 06:29:44 PM »
We have a gas-lit, wood burning fireplace so we dont have to worry about lighting it.  But it needs to be cleaned out, we haven't done that in a few years.  So it has been decorated for Christmas but not used. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 07:37:57 PM »
I live in a small apartment on the third floor, so no fireplace.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 09:08:07 PM »
I spent most of my youth in a house heated with a wood-burning stove, but since then I haven't had one in any form.  I do miss it...not the smell so much as the way it was kind of the center of family life in the winter. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 09:20:36 PM »
I actually have one lit right now :D
I live in Sweden and the winters are cold. I think it's pretty common for houses, especially older houses, around here to have one. In some really old houses it's not uncommon to find a fireplace in several of the rooms (my sisters house have 4 fireplaces but they only use one)
The autumn mornings are starting to get pretty chilly now and since I work at home I recently started to light one for the first few hours every morning when the weather is chilly like today.
It's extremly cozy and soothing to just sit here with my morning coffee with just the sound of the crackling wood, the smell and the dancing flames. :heart:
And of course the electricity bill goes down a bit since we can heat up the house with the fireplace instead.

The only downside to having a fireplace is that it's not particulary funny to head outside to the shed in a raging blizzard to get more firewood and of course it needs to be cleaned once in a while too. But the result is always worth it in my book :)

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 09:50:07 PM »
We've got one in our house but I couldn't tell you the last time we actually used the thing. :P The heater does us fine enough.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 03:02:34 AM »
I actually have one lit right now :D
I live in Sweden and the winters are cold. I think it's pretty common for houses, especially older houses, around here to have one. In some really old houses it's not uncommon to find a fireplace in several of the rooms (my sisters house have 4 fireplaces but they only use one)
The autumn mornings are starting to get pretty chilly now and since I work at home I recently started to light one for the first few hours every morning when the weather is chilly like today.
It's extremly cozy and soothing to just sit here with my morning coffee with just the sound of the crackling wood, the smell and the dancing flames. :heart:
And of course the electricity bill goes down a bit since we can heat up the house with the fireplace instead.

The only downside to having a fireplace is that it's not particulary funny to head outside to the shed in a raging blizzard to get more firewood and of course it needs to be cleaned once in a while too. But the result is always worth it in my book :)

Same here in Finland. :fireplace:

I live in a rented apartment with no fireplace. My parents have one, though, as well as a wood-burning stove and a wood-burning sauna. They don't use the fireplace as it doesn't work properly, but sometimes burn candles in it for a cosy atmosphere. :D The fireplace is located in what now effectively serves as a laundry room and dressing room (adjacent to the sauna) so it's not too practical anyway... (If you wonder why, it's an older house that my parents have renovated quite a lot over the years, adding more rooms etc. :P The part with the sauna used to have a separate entry, I still remember having to run around the house in my bathrobe when I was a kid! Not too fun in the winter...) The kitchen stove is something they do use actively, mainly for heat rather than cooking. It's not much to watch but you do get to listen to the lovely crackling sound!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 07:19:47 AM »
My house has one. It's really nice to use in the winter^^ We also used it as a light source when our power was out a couple years ago.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 08:06:55 AM »
Not in my apartment and I am ok with it.
The traditional wooden version is more common at the countryside. And those who have a lot to spend will create a modern version of a fireplace in their house :) 

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 08:08:00 AM »
We have a fireplace, but it’s gas powered. We use it a lot in the winter, and our dogs (and the late cat) would always roast themselves in front of it. We watched, and they’d just roll over when one side was too warm.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 08:19:44 AM »
Not since I was six years old. We lived for nine months in a cottage with a coal fire though.

Although I suppose we do have a gas fire and fireplace but it's not a real fire as such, just ornamental.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »
We have one and I don't use it very frequently since it's not in a space I am in that much, but my Dad will light it a lot. :)

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »
Yes, we use it in the winter because heating can get very expensive.
It's also really useful for cooking if the power is out :)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 04:46:44 PM »
Both my childhood home and my current home have fireplaces.  But my parents hooked up wood burning stoves to both.  They come in handy when the power goes out in winter storms.

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
From me, almost the same words as Annie and Griffin have written.  ^.^

My house has two large wood burning fireplaces.  :heart: Now I could already start warming them up because the night frosts are coming and the days are also cold. :heart:
Firewood should still be bought a little more in the woodshed so that we can cope over the winter to spring.  :wonder: Of course, we also have electric radiators and an air-source heat pump to bring in additional heat, but it will then appear "comfortably" on the electric bill.  >_<

In my former residence, in addition to the two fireplaces, there was also a wood-burning stove in the kitchen. It was wonderful and I miss it! It was nice to make food with it and at the same time quickly got heat into the house.  :sad: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal