collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you?

Yes!
9 (33.3%)
Sort of
8 (29.6%)
Not really...
6 (22.2%)
No
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Are you a movie buff?  (Read 2058 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Are you a movie buff?
« on: September 05, 2021, 08:28:40 AM »
Do you love movies? Can you quote entire films? How many movies do you own? What's your favorite genre? Let's talk movies!

I'm a big movie fan! My fav genre is horror, but I enjoy all kinds of films. Pre-Covid I would go to the theater once a month, sometimes twice. My movie collection is about 200 strong. DVD and Blu-Ray mostly, but there are still some VHS hanging around (I have no way to play them though).

Stuck at home, I watch movies on my streaming subs or for free. The last one I watched was The Devil Below on... Netflix? Or Hulu. It wasn't very good :lol: but that's the fate of a lot of horror movies.

My favorite of all time is John Carpenter's The Thing! I know it all by heart and I think the special effects still look great almost 40 years later :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Are you a movie buff?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:47:17 AM »
Not really...unless it's animated films. :P I love me some animated films, even/especially bad or unheard of ones.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
I love films and though lately I’ve just been in to the MCU films I love horror/sci-fi to and “the thing” is ace along with alien ,predator, And robo cop 😊

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 10:32:46 AM »
Not really... I enjoy a film every now and then (and have some favourites, of course), but I generally prefer series, and/or just doing other stuff.

My favourite genres are drama, historical, animated films... I'll watch action, scifi, horror etc. in moderate amounts, I'm quite picky when it comes to those. I generally prefer feel-good type of films. It's interesting actually, because some of my favourite series are much darker in comparison.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 10:51:18 AM »
I like movies quite a bit, but not to the extent of calling myself a movie buff. Like, I don't follow general movie news and stay up to date on production stuff unless it happens to be movies I really care about.

My favorite movie ever has been my favorite my whole life... drum roll... the direct to video "Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation" :biggrin: It just has a very special place in my heart and nothing else has quite been able to live up to it.

The Bill and Ted trilogy comes close, though. Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is probably my second favorite movie ever, and the other two in the series don't trail far behind it. The third movie that came out last year was one I had been looking forward to for years, and I had planned to see it in theaters maybe like ten times... but then 2020 turned out the way it did so that didn't quite work out, but I loved watching it on my laptop all the same.

I generally like comedy, horror and adventure movies, and am a big fan of the props, puppets and costumes used before CGI took over. Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey has a little bit of everything I love so that's probably why it was such a huge hit with me.

Honorable mention goes to Freaks (1932), a beautiful movie I think everyone should watch.

Wishlist

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »
That's funny you mention that Ridi, I've had a real itch to rewatch the TTA movie lately! Love that film :)

I wouldn't call myself a movie buff, I like movies though. I miss going to the cinema! Although I hadn't been for a long while even before you-know-what hit, I only go if there's something that actually interests me on. I like animated stuff, I wish there were more 2D animated films these days!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »
I guess so, but mostly for those from 1980s to 2000s, sometimes something newer but not very often. I also have a small collection of movies on DVD:

Inka Dinka Doo

Offline MouseCardinal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 01:16:13 PM »
I can quote a decent chunk of Return of the Jedi, lol. Love the Original & Prequel trilogies.  :nerdy:

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
I love films! I'm pretty sure the only thing I outright avoid is romance, but it's not like things haven't slipped through (The Notebook, how dare you).

Obviously I have a bias towards animated films, and I have a pretty extensive Disney collection. I also collect Godzilla movies on all formats. I own a lot of DVD's, I just thrift them often, kind of out of space at the moment.

Lately my boyfriend and I have been watching a lot of sci-fi, with recent watches being The Fifth Element, Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Total Recall. Very much hyping up for Dune next month (plus I read the book, lol). I never really got into superhero stuff though, so I've avoided the Marvel universe up until recently.

I have access to a lot of streaming services either through my subscriptions or shared one, plus free channels on TV so I'm always watching something.

I guess a list of my favorites would be:
Silver Lining Playbook, Dumplin', Oliver & Company, Tangled, The Land Before Time, Isle of Dogs, In This Corner of the World, The Cat Returns, Mean Girls, US, Midsommar, The Cabin in the Woods, A Silent Voice, The Lion King, and Parasite.

My guilty pleasure movie is Christmas with the Kranks. It's SO bad, and I know that, but it's just not possible for me to resist every year.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »
Yes.   That's the short answer.

At work we have entire conversations that are movie quotes...sometimes from different movies that go together and it gets hilarious.

Back in the 90s I decided that when I moved out I didn't want to have to pay for cable (this was before streaming services existed) so I started buying movies---VHS at the time and I've since replaced them all with DVDs.  I have more than 3,000 DVDs.  Of those about a third are movies.  The rest are television/anime series, some educational DVDs (like Bill Nye/DisneyNature).  Due to space limitations, I have them in big CD albums that hold up to 240 discs...I have 15 of them and 5 are specifically dedicated to movies that aren't holiday themed (I have one for those) or Anime (the anime DVDs take up 4 and I will need to buy another one soon).  The Pixar and Disney animated feature DVDs are in smaller Disney albums that I got from the Disney Movie Club.  My job at work includes creating and replacing artwork for the library's AV collections as well as adding the new DVDs to the system so I get to handle everything that the library owns.

A good majority of my movies are purchased during holiday sales or from thrift stores for $1-3.  But it's nice not to have to worry about Netflix cancelling the show I'm in the mood to watch.  Plus where I live the internet can get spotty so I can watch what I want whenever I feel like it as long as there's power (or my laptop is charged). 

I'm not big into horror, though I do have a couple that I usually watch around Halloween.  I own most of the Disney movies (I haven't bought Raya or Luca yet but they're on the "get eventually" list), I even own Song of the South (on VHS and DVD). 

I just watched the new Cinderella movie on Amazon Prime and it's cute, for a jukebox musical.  I like the changes they've made to the traditional storyline.

As far as favorites go, I would have to say Pete's Dragon, Sword in the Stone, Center Stage, Connie and Carla, and Whisper of the Heart are included on the list of top go-to movies but I can't choose just a few!

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 07:17:00 PM »
Yeah I'm a horror movie fan! Which is saying something because there are a ton of horror movies I don't like at all because they are very trope-y. Also animated movies are a favorite!!

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 09:18:44 PM »
I’m not a huge movie fan in that I quote lines or know all about obscure films.  But I do have a list of random favorites and I’ve seen all the MCU, Star Wars, Disney Feature Cartoons, PIXAR and so on.  I also love period films and historic documentaries. The last movie I saw was RESPECT.

I took a film appreciation class in college so I’ve seen many of the “important” films but because we had to dissect them and learn lots of new terms and such, I actually get a little stressed when people suggest watching them.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 01:32:03 AM »
I wouldn't call myself a movie buff as I'm not hardcore into movies. But I do enjoy my films (except sad romances (romantic comedies & ones with proper drama I can do but not the likes of The Good Girl - boring) & most horrors & films based on traumatic events like the Holocaust (give me nightmares)), & have a fair collection of DVDs as well as Netflix.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd qualify as a "movie buff" but I do have an interest and appreciate the craft of movie making and good storytelling through movies as well as a facination with non-cg special effects. My favorite genre's, like with books, lean towards dystopian, sci-fi & fantasy, but I enjoy anything with real psychological depth and complexity. Love to analyze subtext, etc. Then again some of my fav's are also "just fun" comedy or adveventure or drama type movies as well.
I won't go into a list of favorites, I'd have to really think about what are my current top few, but
Most recently watched: They Live, Evangelion 3.0 + 1.01 Thrice Upon a Time
Most looking forward to release: Ghostbusters Afterlife, The Matrix Resurrections (Hope they don't do what they did with Terminator: Dark Fate/Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker/Bill & Ted Face the Music/& several more to these and discount or tear down the former main characters' role just to bring in a new/younger character, or needlessly recon the storylines.) 

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 07:25:43 PM »
I'm a "Movie Buff" definitely! Although I can't quote Movies like my brother & sister can, I can definitely remember what movie they are quoting from :biggrin: I Used to be able to know the movie Romeo and Juliet With Leonardo D By Heart and rehearse it in pony form when I was playing Ponies. I'm totally into MCU! Not so much DC but I do Like Batman movies... just the whole Justice League I don't like. I used to be into Anime but I just can't keep up with it anymore. I stopped watching anime after Fullmetal Alchemist  :blush: Me and My sister have a shared Movie Collection. I'm guessing its about 200 or so blu rays in steel-book cases. Some movies can't be put in steel-book but that's ok we will still collect them and put them on our Vudu account. We have some streaming services but we mostly buy.
Next month goals is to buy Joe Bell, Spirit, & 5movie collection of Transformers with Mark Wahlberg on the cover.
my Favorite genre of movies is Action/Comedy I don't like scary unless its more suspense then scary.
Yes we have some VHS movies and a VHS Player the only VHS movies we have are the black diamond edition and some original edition of Disney movies.

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal