collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's Cooking?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
What's Cooking?
« on: September 02, 2021, 11:00:08 AM »
Who's up for another food thread?  :biggrin: Come and chat about food! Cooking, baking... what have you've been up to lately?

I'm starting this so that I can grumble because I'm hungry and my dinner is taking forever. :lol: Got this brilliant idea of making cabbage rolls. I only rarely make them and even though I know they're labour intensive, I always forget just how much time goes into making them. :P But now they're finally in the oven! I came up with a vegan recipe the last time I made them and wanted to try it again, with ground soy, quinoa and grated carrot.

Those of you who're into baking may remember my experiments with sourdough earlier this year. Unfortunately I let my starter die in the summer as it was too hot for baking and I had some of it in the freezer. If only I'd known how difficult it is to revive the frozen piece... I've made two batches of dough and ended up tossing both because they simply didn't rise. Apparently I didn't let it ferment for long enough, so I've got a third batch going... I hope something will come out of it this time! It smells different than the original starter. Not bad exactly, but different. :wonder:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: What's Cooking?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 11:36:34 AM »
Ah, perfect timing. I've been meaning to make tacos for the last couple of days but chopping all the veggies is making me procrastinate :P I really should make it though... I can eat off it for a day or two. I like hard taco shells with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomato, black olives and green chilis with refried beans as the filling. Or just heat up some beans and make a taco dip with tortilla chips. Yum! I think I might have some nacho cheese too? I'll have to look.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 11:45:59 AM »
I've been ADDICTED to oatmeal lately! Plain oatmeal with a pinch of salt and vanilla, caramel oatmeal, brownie batter oatmeal, butter cookie oatmeal, cinnamon roll oatmeal (my favorite). The other day I put cheese and pesto in my oatmeal and got something that tasted disturbingly like pizza. I can't wait for my parents to leave the house so I can try even more outlandish combinations :devious:

The only thing I can't make is overnight oats... They don't last the whole night if I have my way :P

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 11:47:21 AM »
Food thread!

We have an apple and pear tree that is bearing fruit, I've been meaning to try to make some pies or other treats with them since I'm not much for just eating either plain. I also want to make more breads but I need to find a good reliable GF flour for it, maybe I'll finally order Better Batter online like that one baker always suggests.

Sourdough can be tricky, but I hope it turns out! I definitely want to make sourdough again but have just been so offput by the idea of GF breadmaking. 

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 12:39:20 PM »
Veggies chopped :accomplished:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 05:34:52 PM »
someone told me that you can pop quinoa like popcorn on the stove...
husband is making spaghetti for dinner.
it smells like butterscotch coffee in my office nook.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 03:50:35 AM »
I hate cooking! Absolutely despise it! It's one of my least favorite activities, and as a result, I also have very little experience with it. I live off cereal, sandwiches, fruit, and microwave dinners.

Lately I've been trying to change this as I've always been jealous of people who genuinely enjoy cooking, and have really enjoyed the simple yet very tasty dishes I've helped make over at my friend's place. I've learned how to make a really good chicken pasta salad that I try to make once a week. I've also brought back and old favorite, Japanese curry, which takes a bit longer to make, but is quite simple, and once I make a portion I have leftovers for a couple of days.

To make the process less harrowing I take my tablet into the kitchen with me to play some fun videos in the background while I work. I think I'm getting better!

I've been ADDICTED to oatmeal lately! Plain oatmeal with a pinch of salt and vanilla, caramel oatmeal, brownie batter oatmeal, butter cookie oatmeal, cinnamon roll oatmeal (my favorite). The other day I put cheese and pesto in my oatmeal and got something that tasted disturbingly like pizza. I can't wait for my parents to leave the house so I can try even more outlandish combinations :devious:

The only thing I can't make is overnight oats... They don't last the whole night if I have my way :P

I'm very interested to hear how you do this as a fellow Norway dweller as we likely have access to the same ingredients. Oatmeal to me always meant just plain oatmeal in a bowl with milk and sugar, or, if I'm feeling fancy, oatmeal porridge. I'd like to change this lol.

Wishlist

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 08:01:30 AM »
Veggies chopped :accomplished:

:cheer: The tacos sound good! I don't do hard taco shells often, I prefer soft tortillas...

@Luxrayx  I'm also interested! Do you mean you don't soak or boil the oatmeal at all? As a kid I would sometimes have plain oatmeal with milk and a bit of sugar but Mum always told me I shouldn't do it :D Oatmeal porridge is a staple item in Finnish cooking and most people consider it breakfast food, but I don't like to have warm porridge in the morning... I sometimes make it in the evening, though. (Any kind of porridge, doesn't have to be oatmeal... rye is tasty!) Overnight oats is something I've discovered only recently but enjoy very much! I usually make it with oatmeal, plant-based milk (+ occasionally yoghurt), banana, nuts and/or seeds (any kind), and some ground cinnamon and ginger. Sometimes other ingredients like peanut butter. Or fresh berries (added on top, not soaked).

@tailrustedtealeaf Mmmm apples and pears! Those pears must be heavenly. All pears here are imported and mostly you can find the boring 'Conference' variety which are just ok even at their best. :D Once I was able to find new season French pears which were small and sooo sweet! Yum. Best of luck with your GF pies! Maybe some kind of crumble could also work?

@ridi Aww, I wish I could throw some inspiration your way! Everyday cooking is a chore, but of course it's easier if you enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes. I love food, lol! :lol: And I love trying new things. I don't think a week goes by without me testing some new recipe or product... ^^; It helps that I'm not awfully picky, and over the years I've been more and more interested in cuisines around the world.

--
Oh, and an update! I ended up tossing the batch one more time since it had turned sour, but I started a new one right away from the portion I'd saved and put in the fridge, fermented it overnight and it was perfect in the morning! Happy and bubbly ^.^ So now I've got two big loaves that just came out of the oven. Let's see if they taste right... This is rye bread btw, but now that I've got a working starter I can use that for mixed white bread, too.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
With my new job I'm going to have to start packing small lunches and snacks for my break, would love some recommendations! I'm used to having easy access to fast food  :blush:

I made some really great stuffed mushrooms recently (stuffed with a cream cheese, garlic, and spinach mixture). I also recently learned that crunch peanut butter isn't that bad! I've been a creamy PB only person all my life, and I eat a lot of peanut butter, so this is a fun change!

I'm doing 16:8 fasting to the best of my ability and trying to exercise every day and cut down on my sugar consumption (which is REALLY HARD). I've been making myself smoothies and consuming a lot more strawberries and bananas to get that craving going.

Gotta say one of the best things to come out of covid and being stuck at home is I learned to make bread and pizza dough, and homemade pizza in a skillet really hits the spot.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 08:41:59 AM »
Griffin, a crumble would be fun, but I loove crust. I will manhandle it to happen one way or another!! I'm not sure what variety of pears these are, but they're green! It's good that you have some bread success!!

Ridi, I think the videos will help! I enjoy cooking with friends more than alone, I've found. Would calling a friend through video or voice help make it a bit more exciting? It sounds like meals that will give you multiple portions are the way to go - my mom suggested I do something similar since I like cooking but sometimes just don't feel like doing it!

Luxrayx, I LOVE savory oatmeal!!! Will definitely try to make a pizza one soon.

Bekuno, sugar consumption is so hard to kick!! I'd love to make fruit more appetizing for me, so I may do something similar soon. I can't eat anything that's fast food unless it's sushi, so my favorite food to bring is cheese and crackers. I love meats and cheeses and like to try different kinds of combos. I need to really get myself goin' on some GF fig crackers-I haven't found a replacement for those yet.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 09:05:19 AM »
Before you can say pics or it didn't happen :silly:

(should've added a pony or something...)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 09:41:59 AM »
Oh man, that looks so good :dribble:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 10:23:19 AM »
That crackle on the top looks excellent!

Now I wanna hide ponies in any pictures I take to share. :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »
Got this brilliant idea of making cabbage rolls. I only rarely make them and even though I know they're labour intensive, I always forget just how much time goes into making them.
I think I've tried cabbage rolls on my own exactly once. There's probably a reason I haven't made them again. I do remember it being a lot of work.

I'm doing 16:8 fasting to the best of my ability and trying to exercise every day and cut down on my sugar consumption (which is REALLY HARD). I've been making myself smoothies and consuming a lot more strawberries and bananas to get that craving going.
Fruit really helps in fighting sugar cravings! I've done both cut downs of added sugar and salt and it's very eye opening how if you go with really low quantities of either for a few weeks, and then have something with a lot of it, how strong it seems.

I've had more time at home recently and have been making dinners almost every night. We are also working on eating healthier in general as a family, cutting down added sugar, fatty snacks, ultra-processed foods, etc. and tracking calories and meal planning.
As part of a controlled way of doing "cheat meals" I've taken up a small side hobby of purchasing my local grocery store's weekly "meal deal" coupon deal (which is a kind of buy an item and get some free sort of thing and it makes up a meal). It keeps our diet from getting too boring or strict, and I've made some things that I normally wouldn't think to do otherwise which is fun.
I started an instagram for just those meals a few weeks ago
https://www.instagram.com/hebmealdeal/
Tomorrow I will be making sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches with fresh berries and cream on the side.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 10:50:56 PM »
We have a kitchen garden - if anything wanders into the garden it gets transferred to the kitchen  ;)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal