collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: WHat's the shortest time you've ever stayed in a job?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
WHat's the shortest time you've ever stayed in a job?
« on: August 21, 2021, 02:26:49 PM »
And why... I think I may be about to beat my record of four months!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: WHat's the shortest time you've ever stayed in a job?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »
I have only ever been hired as an intern or on probation, I've never actually been a regular contractual employee anywhere.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 03:05:30 PM »
My older brother once realized his job at Jimmy Johns was no good by the end of the week.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »
Probably two weeks? It was at a privately owned pet store. I was hired to clean cages and do things around the store like make sure products were neat on shelves and dusting, vacuuming, etc. I said on my application that I had no experience with cash registers and in my previous jobs at pet stores never rang up customers except for feeders because they had their own buttons on the register.

Anyway, my first day I cleaned all the rodents and bird cages. The next day my boss says I didn't clean the jumbo rat cages. Yes, yes I did. There were only two 20 gallon long aquariums and each had like 10 rats in them :huh: Waaaay too many for that small a space. So they got it dirty quick. A few more days go by. Then my boss asks me to work behind the counter helping customers. A few days later she has another employee train me to use the register. Then my job was stuck behind the counter working the register and I was completely abandoned at the front of the store.

I hated it.

Also, my boss was suspicious. She had exotic pets in the back room, including a wallaby (he was soooo sweet and loved giving hugs) but I don't think she actually had a license to sell them. She also had some ridiculous rules, like not giving the rodents things to chew on because they "pee all over it". Like... rodents NEED to chew on stuff. But her excuse was they didn't last long in the store so it was okay. She also had the small birds drinking out of bottles and didn't give them open water to bathe in. The bigger birds? Were aggressive as heck. There was always dead fish in the tanks every morning that she had people scoop out before we opened.

All in all, it was a bad place to work, and the animals suffered. When I quit, I called Fish & Wildlife and told them about the wallaby. He was such a sweet animal and was kept in a dog crate in a dimly lit area. I let him out on a leash once (that's when he hugged me) because I never saw him out of the cage and felt so sorry for him. The other employee that was there that day promised she wouldn't tell the boss, and I don't think she ever did.

I hope the animals were confiscated and my boss fined but I don't actually know what came of my phone call. A couple of years later the place closed.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 06:14:30 PM »
I've worked a few temp jobs through agencies and stuff, but I think 6 months?

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 06:30:16 PM »
if you're seeing warning signs now run.

Spoiler
i stayed at a job for 2 years. looking back now the owners were pretty abusive. it was my first real web developer job and it was the only decent offer i had. i ended up staying because i really liked my colleagues but one of the owners was horrible. we had to work on projects for his side businesses. the deadlines and expectations were always unreasonable. and during one of these projects he told us that he didn't care if we required IVs to stay awake and work he wanted the project done. he also pretty much told another employee that i wasn't a "real" developer. he didn't say it to my face but he was in the doorway of the room i worked in and i was the only one in the room so he knew i could hear. i only stayed then because i was just waiting on a job referral to go through. a few months after i left the other owners found out he had embezzled millions of dollars from the company. and that doesn't include money he owed for work on his side projects. the company ended up shutting down. i'm not sure if they ever got any money back. everyone who worked there is still pretty scarred from all the drama there.

my shortest is another company where i saw warning signs quickly. it was a contract to hire position and after about 3 months they gave me a lowball full-time offer. which i turned down after they wouldn't negotiate a higher salary. the offer was much less than i was making at the job i left in order to take the contract to hire. the recruiter lied about the full-time salaries. then after about a month they ended the contract. i was hurt and angry but mostly relieved. the job wasn't at all what they told me it would be when i was hired and i was stressed all the time. i got some much needed time off and ended up finding a better position.

but my experiences at both of these companies really scarred me. if you already see warning signs and are able to leave then leave. bad situations and jobs don't usually get better. and the longer you stay the harder it can be to leave.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:02:33 PM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 03:53:38 AM »
Nine days :)

After graduating, I took a christmas job at a toy store while looking for something permanent.

It was horrible.

I couldn't navigate the store, I was stuck in the storeroom mostly, and one of my supervisors took offence at the fact I had a degree and so did whatever she could to make my life miserable, including trying to make me miss my bus.

The manager and asst manager were fine but yeah. It was not a good experience.

The next job I got was the one at my ref library. I was there 7 years, till it closed, so I never regretted leaving the toy store.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 06:38:54 AM »
A day and a half. That's how quick they were to decide I couldn't keep up fast enough which I still feel was unfair and they should've given me more of a chance.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Shystar06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
A single day.

I realized in time that the 'job' was a 1099, commission-only junk job and only stayed long enough to get the names of the recruiters to post on Glassdoor so I could warn others.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 01:36:42 PM »
One day.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »
I've only worked two jobs before and the second job I worked quite a bit less time than the first - just over a year and a half. It's a wonder I made it that long because my chronic illness was causing me immense pain and making my productivity terrible.

|My Collection|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 02:51:23 AM »
I worked at Subway for about a month.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 05:03:09 AM »
I tend to stay at jobs for a couple of years for the most part (I’ve only had 5 jobs since I was 15!) but the shortest for me was about a month and a few days. I started work at Amazon over a summer and when I asked about their “flexible scheduling” (I was going back to college in August) they wouldn’t work with me and change my hours around. Had no choice but to quit. Was a trash job anyways

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 10:04:42 AM »
Our manager has just brought in an additional shift that I wasn't expecting. My husband works from 6 till 2 and I have iether been working 6 till 2 as well or a later 8 till 4 shift which is what I was doing in my old job. I'll now be working from 10 till 6 on a regular basis as well. We normally get up at 5 and go to bed at 9pm. Given that we have spent so much time together during lockdown it feels hard. I took a 20% pay cut when I changed jobs so that I could live nearer home. However, it's a world away from where I was before. I'm used to project managing and having staff and reporting etc. But now I'm just a robot. It has dawned on me that there's not much that my manager can or will teach me so I will be stuck. There are also safety concerns like lone working in the early mornings on an isolated site. I'm so depressed today. However, I do have a job interview tomorrow and I'm thinking of jumping ship. I don't want to start a probationary period again though. I recently found out that we don't get sick pay during probation. I know that things are different all over the world so I apologise if this sounds like 'luxury problems'. It's been a bit of a shock.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:12:00 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 09:29:11 PM »
1 year exactly working in the office of a dental lab... they had me driving deliveries instead of learning the office stuff I was hired for...sayonara!

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal