collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 30447 times)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
Re: Monster High returns again - 26/10 Greta Gremlin!!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2021, 08:19:26 AM »
OMG yes, Godzilla and Mothra would be great! Especially Mothra, I bet she'd translate really well into the MH style :lovey:

I know, right?! I actually made MH ocs years ago because I wanted to see them be in the franchise but back then, this line didnt yet exist.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2021, 04:06:37 PM »
Sorry if this is old news (I don't have an Instagram account, I usually get my dolly news from here lol) but it looks like Monster High is officially getting a fullscale reboot + new cartoon (and live action movie? uh) next year!

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/1787-now-official-monster-high-coming-back-with-animated-series-and-live-action-movie-on-nickelodeon-in-2022.html

I hope the dolls are good. Interesting that Clawdeen seems to be the protagonist this time round, instead of Frankie.. I wonder why? No complaints here anyway, Clawdeen's my favourite out of the original/core characters ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »
Sorry if this is old news (I don't have an Instagram account, I usually get my dolly news from here lol) but it looks like Monster High is officially getting a fullscale reboot + new cartoon (and live action movie? uh) next year!

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/1787-now-official-monster-high-coming-back-with-animated-series-and-live-action-movie-on-nickelodeon-in-2022.html

I hope the dolls are good. Interesting that Clawdeen seems to be the protagonist this time round, instead of Frankie.. I wonder why? No complaints here anyway, Clawdeen's my favourite out of the original/core characters ^^

In the first reboot it was Draculaura who became the main protagonist. I'm guessing they are going with Clawdeen because diversity?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 01:08:28 AM »
I never watched the shows or kept up on the characters much, but I loved the dolls. I just wish I'd snagged up more when I had the chance. Now finding them with all their limbs intact seems to be pretty costly if you are wanting the dolls that had the best articulation.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 09:42:33 AM »
I care way more about Clawdeen than I do Draculara so I wouldn't mind if she were the main character. Would be cool to see these in stores again even if I don't buy them.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2022, 09:10:25 PM »
Finally got all my dolls out of storage again! <3
So excited to have them all set up again after so long. (because of moves.)

I agree with how crazy they were second hand now.
I'm so grateful for all the ones I got back in the day.
I thought about checking up on Basty Claro just cause I missed her back in the day (/didn't want her back then lmao) and WOW even she is CRAZY expensive! Holy crap!
I wonder how many of them sell at these prices vs sitting there forever overpriced, ala G1 MLP being sold by non-collectors. Especially because I'm sure a lot of 2nd hand dolls are probably being sold by people who have kept them from their childhoods.

I got the Beetlejuice ones for Christmas, I adore them!
I JUST found out about Greta today. I totally want her too. XD

Excited about a reboot for sure!

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2022, 03:07:13 PM »
Just reading over that page, the story feels a bit like they rehashed the Halloween original story with the human/monster theme, though of course they may do it totally differently. I've always been meh to Clawdeen as a character, but think she's probably better than Lala as a focal point, given that precise fact. I liked Frankie more but I hated what they did with her in the last reboot. I was pretty meh about the whole of that though, except a few of the dolls (mostly Lagoona because her hair was nice). I did think she was a good main character in the original, though, because she didn't know anything to begin with.

They say they want to push diversity. I think that's a key part of what MH was originally, but whether they really mean it or not will depend on whether Ghoulia comes back/is changed and how they handle it. Another reason I disliked the last reboot was her removal. I don't know for sure why she was removed, but she represented those who communicate differently, and those kids need a role model too. Especially at the moment.

On the Ghoulia and Cleo set mentioned some time back. I have the set. A friend in the US (who is also here) got it from Mattel for me because US had free shipping and to the UK they were charging a fortune in postage. Friend got it shipped to me for a more reasonable rate. It's the last MH thing I bought but I don't regret it, even though the box takes up some space.

I also don't really like the collector dolls being released. At least, I have nothing against the dolls, but the idea of collector MH dolls themed off existing horrorish stuff I don't like much. I'd rather MH was MH.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2022, 09:13:11 AM »
They say they want to push diversity. I think that's a key part of what MH was originally, but whether they really mean it or not will depend on whether Ghoulia comes back/is changed and how they handle it. Another reason I disliked the last reboot was her removal. I don't know for sure why she was removed, but she represented those who communicate differently, and those kids need a role model too. Especially at the moment.

Tbh it's the same reason Applejack always got left out. Her color scheme wasn't marketable enough. She was more a favorite of adult collectors than little girls and there's more of them than there is of us. While I'd love if Ghoulia returned, I'd also be ok if they added a new character that filled the same role. Tbh I kinda liked how in the reboot Frankie got some of Ghoulia's traits because it made her more interesting but I wish she'd gotten more than just the smart nerdiness.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2022, 12:34:39 PM »

Tbh it's the same reason Applejack always got left out. Her color scheme wasn't marketable enough. She was more a favorite of adult collectors than little girls and there's more of them than there is of us. While I'd love if Ghoulia returned, I'd also be ok if they added a new character that filled the same role. Tbh I kinda liked how in the reboot Frankie got some of Ghoulia's traits because it made her more interesting but I wish she'd gotten more than just the smart nerdiness.

Applejack sold better here than some of the others, most notably Pinkie Pie. It's my impression that it was the bronies who dissed AJ, not the kids. It's certainly the G4 fans I've seen most of the negatives from but I've seen and heard kids in stores here asking specifically for AJ. I never heard a single kid ask for Pinkie Pie. It's true that older collectors probably liked her more and showed here favour, but I didn't ever see that from the bronies.

I didn't like any part of Frankie coopting the smart aspect of Ghoulia. I've said it before, but Ghoulia worked as a character not just because she communicated differently but becadue she broke the mould, being a smart zombie. Something that wasn't the standard. Frankie didn't add anything in that regard in G2. She was just smarter. And while it made sense n context with Frankenstein and all. But it was so bland it didn't really push any boundaries.

I guess I want to see them put their money where their mouth is and embrace diversity on all levels.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2022, 03:03:34 PM »

Applejack sold better here than some of the others, most notably Pinkie Pie. It's my impression that it was the bronies who dissed AJ, not the kids. It's certainly the G4 fans I've seen most of the negatives from but I've seen and heard kids in stores here asking specifically for AJ. I never heard a single kid ask for Pinkie Pie. It's true that older collectors probably liked her more and showed here favour, but I didn't ever see that from the bronies.

Eh marketers are often wrong of course but if they think something "won't sell" they won't do it.

I didn't like any part of Frankie coopting the smart aspect of Ghoulia. I've said it before, but Ghoulia worked as a character not just because she communicated differently but becadue she broke the mould, being a smart zombie. Something that wasn't the standard. Frankie didn't add anything in that regard in G2. She was just smarter. And while it made sense n context with Frankenstein and all. But it was so bland it didn't really push any

Frankenstein's monster isn't exactly depicted as smart either. I do sometimes wonder if Ghoulia would have eventually returned if the reboot lasted longer. She could have become best friends with Frankie.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2022, 03:06:51 PM »
I was talking about Frankenstein, which is the name Frankie Stein came from. Not his monster. :) Smart Frankie combined both concepts.

Not sure what you mean about marketers and AJ, or in fact, Ghoulia. Is there some data that I'm missing?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:08:26 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2022, 08:07:54 PM »
I was talking about Frankenstein, which is the name Frankie Stein came from. Not his monster. :) Smart Frankie combined both concepts.

Not sure what you mean about marketers and AJ, or in fact, Ghoulia. Is there some data that I'm missing?

I just mean like the "girls must like pink" kind of ridiculousness. AJ and Ghoulia were probably the least "girly" in their respective franchises.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »

I just mean like the "girls must like pink" kind of ridiculousness. AJ and Ghoulia were probably the least "girly" in their respective franchises.

Ah. You mean the people who forcibly associate girls with pink even though not all girls like pink? The ones who flood Lala and Pinkie Pie in the market till everyone is sick of the sight of them...Got it.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2022, 10:52:28 AM »
I thought the Venus flytrap girl, amanita girl, robo girl, and Abby were the coolest of the bunch. Oh and Spectra.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »
I still love Robecca and Scarah doll wise.  I didn't watch the show but Frankie was my favorite doll to collect.  I liked that she wore a lot of plaid.

I probably won't watch this show either.  There is just too much other stuff I want to watch, read and do.  But if the dolls are good, I'll buy those.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal